One year nicotine free

Options
I have been cigarette free for one whole year as of today. Last year, I decided that I didn't want to slowly kill myself anymore. I also started noticing what I ate so I wouldn't gain after quitting (I lost weight, in fact). And I started myfitnessspal just a few weeks later. I feel so much happier and healthier than I ever did when I smoked.
Today is always a good day to quit, guys! I stopped cold turkey and cut up little straws into the size of cigarettes, put them in my cigarette case, and "smoked them." I even "flicked ashes" out my car window :P It helps for the hand to the mouth thing, along with gum and ice and hard candies.
Good luck on your journeys to health!
:)

Replies

• Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!!! PROUD OF YOU!!
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I will be there in october, I don't know the exact date though, I just "stopped" on a random day. I feel as though I was never meant to be a smoker and just "fixed" my error in judgment. Don't crave it or miss it and now can't stand the smell and feel so much better!

Way to go!!!! That is one of the hardest things in life to do, hope my kids never start. I constantly tell the kids I take care of and my own that anyone who offers you a smoke is not your real friend as they don't have your best interest at heart...
  • PeaceLoveStrength
    PeaceLoveStrength Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm coming up on a year and a half in September. It's honestly the best things I've ever done for myself!
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    CONGRATS !!!!!!
    This is a huge accomplishment ! Isnt it awesome to notice all the changes you experience after Quitting ? Easier to breathe, sense of smell, better skin and hair ! I applaud you ! I quit almost 8 years ago ( aug 31) and haven't regretted it for a second !
  • BrewerFan2
    Options
    Congrats to you. It's been 2 years 2 months and 20 days since I quit cold turkey. I didn't gain any weight and even lost about 10 pounds at the time. I started feeling better within a couple of weeks. It's a hard road, but it has been well worth it. It does get easier with every passing day, week, month, and yes... year. I haven't had a craving in months. I smoked for over 20 years, I have no regrets on the money I wasted, I'm just glad to be done with that part of my life and living a healthier lifestyle, now it's time to lose the weight.

Congrats again!!!!!
  • Add76
    Add76 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well done! great news.
    I am 43 days smoke free myself. I used Champix for 3 weeks, (I stopped taking them because of the side effects, but they did help me get through the initial cravings phase). I look forward to my one year point.
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Way to go ^^
  • Nyranee
    Nyranee Posts: 57
    Options
    Congratulations :) I quit last October in the middle of the day and I was a really heavy smoker. As I didn't start working out I gained quiet a bit, but still I never regret it. It's the best desicion to do and I am happy that I stopped slowly killing myself.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Way to take control of your life!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS !!!!!!
    This is a huge accomplishment ! Isnt it awesome to notice all the changes you experience after Quitting ? Easier to breathe, sense of smell, better skin and hair ! I applaud you ! I quit almost 8 years ago ( aug 31) and haven't regretted it for a second !

Exactly! I even started running for a while there, finished c25k. I can't stand the smell of cigarettes anymore. Even being around smokers, their smell grosses me out. It's weird how you never notice it until you quit yourself.
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I however, will keep smoking. Maybe I'll stop soon. Who knows.
  • Renee2GetFit
    Renee2GetFit Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I am currently still a smoker. I did quit last year for about 5 months then started again. Gained like 40lbs during that time. I'm scared to stop smoking again because of the weight gain. I am looking to quit again as soon as I get my eating habits under control. Again, congrats!!!
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Kelly. I'm so proud of you. Hugs.
  • harrisaman
    Options
    Congrats to you for being 1 year smoke-free. I quit about 10 years ago, and it was probably the best thing I could have ever done for myself! For all of you who are trying...Stay strong and take it day by day!
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    congrats!!! im a quitter too!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    woo hoo and good for you. I'm mostly quit. I smoke every once in a great while. After 18 years of at least a pack a day, I aint going to complain. Amazing how much better I feel. I like being able to breath. Not if I can just drop about 350 pounds....
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    cogratulations to all you successful quitters. i am trying to quit. it had been about 3 weeks but i smoked one friday night. havent had one yesterday or today though.
  • SBlost
    SBlost Posts: 90
    Options
    WOOHOO!! Congrats to you, I have heard cold turkey is the hardest. And congrats on eating healthy and losing weight. Im not a smoker myself but everyone in my house hold smokes, second hand smoke is disgusting and I am trying to get them all to quit smoking too. Never thought of the straw idea so I may have to suggest that.
    Thanks for sharing!!!
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I am 2 months free, cannot wait to say a year
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    That's excellent. It is always best to quit as soon as possible. My Dad still died from Lung Cancer last year despite quitting years ago purely just because he smoked for too long (over 40 years) and the damage was done.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!