What is the point of exercise?

Options
So I've been reading about the whole 'you need to eat back some/most/all of the calories you burn exercising'. I know this is a controversial topic. This makes sense to me but then what is the point of working out? Is the purpose of working out not to burn calories (like I always thought) but more to gain muscle and increase cardio ability?

Replies

• pearlyyy92
    Options
    I personally eat back most of my burned calories because I can. And it already deficits weight loss in your calculated daily calories. But yeah exercise is important for those two reasons and it makes up happy and reduces our appetites anyway! Yaaaay
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can be the correct weight but still unfit. Why not be the right weight AND fit. Hence the need for both a calorific deficit and exercise. It is your choice to do one, either or both.
  • ricardo2navarro
    Options
    depends on the goals you have. But it has both those purposes.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    its such a different way to think about exercise. up until now, it seemed most productive to do the very high calorie burning exercises. for example, why "waste" time walking (where you burn hardly any calories) when you can be kickboxing or whatever.

so now i'm not sure which exercises to focus on.