Should I try going low carb for a week?

Options

Replies

• AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would try swapping out the snacks before I'd embark on a totally different diet plan. And I agree with dialing back the work outs. I actually lose weight much better when I do very little exercise.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I viewed your diary for over one week and saw that you don't log water. Are you getting at least 8 cups a day (especially with exercise)? Also, check out your sugars and sodium; I think you'll be surprised at how high they might be.

Good luck!
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    One of the things I have read is changing up your workout periodically as well. I would not give up carbs. I think you are going to end up in a cycle of gain/lose. You are wanting to have more sustainability than that. Even with the "shakes" they push. i want something more of a life change, I don't want to have to spend 100 a month on shakes for the rest of my life. Therefore I would say try a few new workouts, different from what you do or have done. Then your body can't adjust and get used to the movements.

That said, I would maybe look at the goldfish? :) They are pretty processed. Have you ever checked into a home made snack that may fill that position? I am sure someone has been there before and come up with a substitution... Mine was coffee creamer, even the natural one had too much hydrogenation for me. I now use sugar free syrup with silk unsweetened almond milk. Always looking for a better solution.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight since going low carb in March and yes, it takes some getting used to but I've been sticking with it and am really pleased with the results so far. I had cut out sugars before starting this diet anyways so the "withdrawals" weren't so bad. I don't know that going low carb for a week would be enough time to make a significant difference (I've felt like I've had to condition myself to stick with it!), and at this point I have learned the difference between "good carbs" and "empty carbs" - I incorporate whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat into my diet and am a huge fan of Stevia as a sweetener. Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The science and success of a low carb diet is undeniable. Your ancestors from the mid-1900's and earlier were thin because they ate a diet that was low carb. Processed sugars, refined carbs, and high fat foods were just not available like they are today. It is the reason that all the generations and cultures before then were mostly thin.

When working out, you do not burn a single calorie of fat until the carbs (glucose) in your muscles have been depleted. With a low carb diet done correctly, you don't have enough glucose in your muscles to begin with so your body immediately reverts to burning any foods just consumed and then fat burning from storage after that.

Here are a couple articles to wrap your head around:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-burn-stored-body-fat-a-ketosis-primer/

http://asianwithoutrice.com/the-ketogenic-primer/

Please stop making things up
  • julimonster
    Options
    One of the things I have read is changing up your workout periodically as well. I would not give up carbs. I think you are going to end up in a cycle of gain/lose. You are wanting to have more sustainability than that. Even with the "shakes" they push. i want something more of a life change, I don't want to have to spend 100 a month on shakes for the rest of my life. Therefore I would say try a few new workouts, different from what you do or have done. Then your body can't adjust and get used to the movements.

That said, I would maybe look at the goldfish? :) They are pretty processed. Have you ever checked into a home made snack that may fill that position? I am sure someone has been there before and come up with a substitution... Mine was coffee creamer, even the natural one had too much hydrogenation for me. I now use sugar free syrup with silk unsweetened almond milk. Always looking for a better solution.
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    I think low carb works only if its permanent. Otherwise, it all just come right back. Don't get rid of your carbs - change them. Popcorn and Goldfish? Why not a whole grain cracker with PB or an apple, or a peach, or lean turkey on whole wheat bread. Yogurt, brown rice, salads, fruits.... These carbs are your friends!
  • julimonster
    Options

My snack is iced black coffee w/ sugar free syrup or stevia, raw almonds or a spoonful or Trader Joe's Valencia Peanut Butter w/ toasted flax seeds!
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    What is a good low carb snack?
    Cheese, or nuts.

"Working out like crazy" is often associated with stalled weight loss. Try a rest.

Well.....not really, unless you eat, like, a crumb. They are SO calorie dense that in order to eat a satisfying amount, you jeopardize your daily deficits. Scrambled egg whites, lean turkey rolled up with a lettuce leaf, etc. These are better.
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    The science and success of a low carb diet is undeniable. Your ancestors from the mid-1900's and earlier were thin because they ate a diet that was low carb. Processed sugars, refined carbs, and high fat foods were just not available like they are today. It is the reason that all the generations and cultures before then were mostly thin.

When working out, you do not burn a single calorie of fat until the carbs (glucose) in your muscles have been depleted. With a low carb diet done correctly, you don't have enough glucose in your muscles to begin with so your body immediately reverts to burning any foods just consumed and then fat burning from storage after that.

Here are a couple articles to wrap your head around:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-burn-stored-body-fat-a-ketosis-primer/

http://asianwithoutrice.com/the-ketogenic-primer/

Please stop making things up
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    Try looking into the Paleo Diet............ I've never felt better in my life. Just the thought of stuff with white flour and sugar and stuff in it makes my tummy turn now. (Never thought I'd ever say that, given that my nickname used to be "cookie monster!) :bigsmile:
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    The "science" quoted above is a gross misrepresentation of the glyco cycle. No, No, NO.
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I will just throw in that I agree with the drop the processed foods, see how that affects you before jumping to a completely different program, even short term. You look fabulous and are working out a lot. Celebrate that!
  • MisChef
    MisChef Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    here's another vote to committing to low-carb eating more than a week.

read about glycogen & water storage -- you'll lose a lot of water-weight after you get over the carb withdrawal, but you'll gain it all back when you resume eating carbs.
  • kphelps1123
    Options
    how many carbs a day is considered low carb?
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you are weight training 3x week and running then your protein levels are way to low - think about 1gm protein for each pound of lean body mass. Drop your carbs a bit and up your protein instead. Have you looked at your measurements rather than the scale? With that kind of a routine your body fat% should be dropping. The scale is a liar, lock it in the closet and ignore it!
    How your clothes fit and how you feel is s better indication of how you are doing!
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The "science" quoted above is a gross misrepresentation of the glyco cycle. No, No, NO.

Yea it's easy to over simplify this stuff. There are as many study's for as against most of the theories I've read. It's all how you interpret the information, so it's even more important to step back and not over simplify it.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you are weight training 3x week and running then your protein levels are way to low - think about 1gm protein for each pound of lean body mass. Drop your carbs a bit and up your protein instead. Have you looked at your measurements rather than the scale? With that kind of a routine your body fat% should be dropping. The scale is a liar, lock it in the closet and ignore it!
    How your clothes fit and how you feel is s better indication of how you are doing!

Good point.
  • Jac118
    Jac118 Posts: 34
    Options
    I just switched to low carb and lost 4 pounds the first day. I know it's only water but it's so nice to not be so bloated - which I have a problem with and at 5' 7" and 125 pounds (I lost 20 pounds), it's discouraging to have such a low BMI and to work out and still have a giant bloated stomach. I'm not trying to lose much more weight, but lately the scale has been going in the wrong direction.

My other reason for trying low carb is that I'm in a time of extreme anxiety and stress and when I get anxious I crave sugar like no other - I tend not to eat a lot of junk, but I will "binge" on fruit (think 4-5 apples, carton of raspberries, grapes, mango, and strawberries all in one sitting) and then I feel awful. Too much sugar gives me insomnia and heart palpitations too. So I'm trying out low carb to see if it can help break that habit.

It may not be the best choice for everyone, but seeing the scale move down is always going to encourage people to stick with a plan and not give up as quickly - one of the reasons why I think low-carb can work for people who give up quickly. Not feeling bloated is a huge factor for me as well. I think there's a big psychological component to why low-carb works for some people.
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A binge is a binge whether it is fruit or donuts. You have to do what is best for you. I am thrilled for your 4 lb success! Way To Go!