Knee pain cycling but NOT running?

Options
Any ideas why my knees hurt when I cycle (I ride a bike to work; 15mins each way) but not when I run? I get some top of foot pain and the knees will also ache after a long run, but not during. I run every other day, alternating days with gym, including 10 mins of elliptical trainer (also doesn't hurt) before strength training, and 15 mins afterwards.

Replies

• jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me except I could run but it hurt to kick out doing kickboxing and it also hurt to do lunges and squats. I just laid off the kicks/lunges/squats till ii didn't have the sharp pain. Took about a week or so.

Of course the best thing to do would be to go to the drs. My friend could do certain activities with her elbow and other activities hurt. She went to dr and found out she had sprained? Broken? Can't remember know...I guess my point is that even though u can run, doesn't mean something serious isn't going on with knee. I would go to drs!
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes, Dr's next stop! I think I might just be doing too much too soon and will take it back a bit, see if things ease up.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I have a similar issue. My knee feels fine when I do butt kicks, jump rope, and high knees, but when I do jumping jacks or oblique twists, my knee really aches. Maybe the twisting motion puts strain on a certain ligament or muscle?
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    The last time I got a bike, I was 12 years old. I avoid riding it now because I get knee pain (and will be getting a new one shortly! Yay!). Have you been sized to your bike? It might not properly fit you.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you have knee pain when cycling, chances are that your bike/stationary bike is not set up right.

Most common cause of knee pain when cycling is the seat being too low. When your leg is at the bottom of the pedal stroke, it should be very nearly straight.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Biking is focused primarily on your quads, running on your hamstrings. In my case, I have torn cartilage between my kneecap and my femoral groove. When I bike my quads pull my kneecap tight against my femoral groove and it hurts. I can run just fine because my hamstring does not. Definitely worth a trip to the doctor to have it checked.
  • WikiRiki
    WikiRiki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I just fell on your post while looking for the answer to another question I had.

I've been cycling for about eight years and I might have some "advice" to throw your way. My suggestion is this: check to see if your bike is aligned properly for your body. You can go to any shop that sells bikes and they will check for you - for free! I guarantee it. Sometimes if your knees are bending too much (too straight) or not enough, it can really mess with your body. Don't go to the doc (unless the pain is severe... and quite honestly, I'm not a doc, so I take that back...you make that call, ultimately.)

I am suspecting that it might be something to do with the adjustment of your bike, especially if it does not happen when you run. Check it out!

Enjoy your rides!
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    This might sound crazy but I drink all natural cherry juice when my feet and ankle pain flares up from walking too far, it helps me. Just saying...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    could be one of a hundred things...

first steps :

1 - get saddle height correct
    2 - ensure that saddle is correctly positioned fore-aft - ideally, your kneecap should be directly over your pedal spindle when the pedals are at "3 and 9 on the clockface"
    3 - if you're using clip-in pedals and cleats, ensire that they're set properly, so your knee isn't throwing out or in - the knees should travel up and down vertically when pedalling normally.
    4 - for all the above, if you're not confident sorting it yourself, get to a good Local Bike Shop and ask about a "bike fitting" where they should sort you out.

when your bike is set up properly, if you're still getting problems, then maybe it's your pedalling style - normally knee problems are due to pushing too big a gear - try and ride at a cadence of around 75-100 rpm - any slower, and you're probably over-stressing the tendons and muscles.
  • plarcade
    Options
    I have a similar issue. My knee feels fine when I do butt kicks, jump rope, and high knees, but when I do jumping jacks or oblique twists, my knee really aches. Maybe the twisting motion puts strain on a certain ligament or muscle?
    I suspect it might be more about flexion than the actual joint because I have to flex the knee much more when cycling. Could be wrong of course :)
  • plarcade
    Options
    The last time I got a bike, I was 12 years old. I avoid riding it now because I get knee pain (and will be getting a new one shortly! Yay!). Have you been sized to your bike? It might not properly fit you.
    My bike is really old. I got it second hand for the summer. Won't need it after September. It didn't occur to me to get it sized! That could definitely be a factor
  • plarcade
    Options
    Biking is focused primarily on your quads, running on your hamstrings. In my case, I have torn cartilage between my kneecap and my femoral groove. When I bike my quads pull my kneecap tight against my femoral groove and it hurts. I can run just fine because my hamstring does not. Definitely worth a trip to the doctor to have it checked.
    That's very interesting, Thank you :)
  • plarcade
    Options
    Hi!
    I just fell on your post while looking for the answer to another question I had.

I've been cycling for about eight years and I might have some "advice" to throw your way. My suggestion is this: check to see if your bike is aligned properly for your body. You can go to any shop that sells bikes and they will check for you - for free! I guarantee it. Sometimes if your knees are bending too much (too straight) or not enough, it can really mess with your body. Don't go to the doc (unless the pain is severe... and quite honestly, I'm not a doc, so I take that back...you make that call, ultimately.)

I am suspecting that it might be something to do with the adjustment of your bike, especially if it does not happen when you run. Check it out!

Enjoy your rides!
    Very likely that it HAS got everything (or a lot) to do with the bike as I got it very cheaply, second hand, and just use it to go to work. I'm not that keen on cycling, probably because it hurts!! I should probably get myself 'fitted' than continue hating cycling ;)
  • plarcade
    Options
    This might sound crazy but I drink all natural cherry juice when my feet and ankle pain flares up from walking too far, it helps me. Just saying...
    Thanks, I might try that! Anything that helps the pain!! I've started taking glucosamine, but have no idea how long it'll take to kick in.
  • plarcade
    Options
    could be one of a hundred things...

first steps :

1 - get saddle height correct
    2 - ensure that saddle is correctly positioned fore-aft - ideally, your kneecap should be directly over your pedal spindle when the pedals are at "3 and 9 on the clockface"
    3 - if you're using clip-in pedals and cleats, ensire that they're set properly, so your knee isn't throwing out or in - the knees should travel up and down vertically when pedalling normally.
    4 - for all the above, if you're not confident sorting it yourself, get to a good Local Bike Shop and ask about a "bike fitting" where they should sort you out.

when your bike is set up properly, if you're still getting problems, then maybe it's your pedalling style - normally knee problems are due to pushing too big a gear - try and ride at a cadence of around 75-100 rpm - any slower, and you're probably over-stressing the tendons and muscles.
    Thank you! Great advice! I've avoided cycling for ages, because of the discomfort and just started again this summer to go to work, but with a decent bike, I might actually start enjoying it :)