NEW TO RUNNING...NEED HELP!

Options
Hey All!! I was just wondering how did you all start Running? Are some people just natural runners?? Every time i attempt to run....i get SOO Tired...and out of breath....And my feet start hurting! Is there a certain way to run, breathe.....Anything??????

Replies

• trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I started 5 weeks ago using a couch to 5k program. There are many to choose from, I have an app on my iPhone, I listen to my music and the app tells me when to run, when to walk. It's important to start slow!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I despise running. It would take the house being set on fire to get me running. It's just not something my body loves to do. Now, give me a pool and I will swim like a fish as I love that but my feet, back - entire body - despise and will never take up that sport. Also, I've heard it can be really hard on the knees and feet. They say if you're overweight by too much running can be bad for you as you are putting too much pressure on stuff. I think it depends on weight too. I'd say, walk hard - walk fast - power walk! If you have a pool - go swimming.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've been adding bouts of jogging for a couple of weeks now. I just did a real jog/walk last nite for the first time in a while. I covered 3.25 miles in an hour. I tried last year, but I wasn't able to keep it up because of my asthma, or so I thought. What I think is working for me is that fact that my body is physically stronger now that I've started lifting weights now. Stronger body, to me, means that I am lighter on my feet. I think it takes time to condition the body to build up to things like running, so if you really want to do if, start slow, give yourself mini goals, and ease into it.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I currently run 4 minutes and walk 1 minute. I don't get as tired and go longer. I'm not fast or a natural runner. Some days are better than others. The best advice I got from other runners was get good shoes. What works for one doesn't work for the next. Get a good pair fitted for you. Don't increase your distance too quickly so you can avoid burning out or injury. For me personally the first 1.5 miles is hard but after that I love it! I keep track on my fridge as a reminder each month of my miles. It keeps me motivated to get my butt moving!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner.. and after doing 7 weeks of C25K I'm up to 25 minutes straight of running or about 2.5 miles... and tomorrow I start Week 8, or 3 days of running for 28 minutes straight.

I highly recommend the program.. and finding good shoes. I started running in one pair and I'm going to try another to see if I like them better.. I haven't gotten fitted for shoes, but once I get past the beginner running stage, I might.
  • azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    First thing: go slow. The biggest mistake I made when I first started running was trying to go too fast. Forget speed (that will increase with distance and time) and just concentrate on going that bit further or bit longer. I'll hold my hands up here and say that I was slow - still am, although now I can run 5 miles non-stop - but that doesn't matter. What matters is that I'm running.

Second thing: find a C25K programme online or on your smartphone and follow it. Every year our local running group run a C25K programme for women wanting to run the 5K Race For Life, and I've seen so many women be amazed by what they've achieved. It works!

Good luck with your running :)
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was a sloth for about a year. Within two months of doing c25k, I was able to run a 5k and I haven't stopped running since. My suggestion is to invest in a good pair of running shoes. Go to a running shoe store and get fitted; don't just go to a sneaker store and pick out a cute pair of shoes. It's an investment but if you are serious about running you won't regret it. Another important thing to do is to stretch post run. I googled stretches for runners and I've found quite a few that do the trick. Also, two months in and my hips started bothering me so I added some hip stretches to my post run stretch and that problem has subsided. When I was a month into c25k I was cursing myself, telling myself that I was crazy for thinking I could do this running thing. I googled some information on new runners, realized that I wasn't alone reading information about what you go through as a new runner, I got my head back in the game and a month ago I ran my first 5k.

Also, this is by far the best site out there that I found that helped me to keep motivated and know what I was getting myself into with copious amounts of tips: http://completerunning.com/archives/2006/09/12/100-beginner-running-tips/

Also, Just last week I launched a blog to chronicle my running experiences and help me to stay accountable with running. It's http://momto5k.com
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Also, I looked for youtube videos on proper running techniques. It helped me a lot. But note, it's not like you can go out the next day getting all these running moves going. I about died trying to get my legs to kick back and up like professional athletes, so now I focus on leaning forward and making sure not to land on my heels.
  • kris10stew
    kris10stew Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running too and enjoying C25K. I have never enjoyed running before (it felt like punishment) and I have started to, and even though my knees hurt a little, I am pumped up. New shoes and an app helped!
  • Thank you all for the helpfull suggestions!! I REALLY appreciate them all! I am going to start back up the C25K program! I am going to try to save up for a new pair of shoes because i do know that HAS to be the reason why my feet are hurting! I think i just over think everything.....I am constantly thinking about how i should be landing on my feet....how i should be breathing...exc.
  • MrsMax22
    Options
    I used c25k and was running 3 miles a few times a week. It has taken a back seat lately so maybe I can get started again with you! I agree with what someone said, get comfortable at your speed and distance before trying to go faster. I did week one on c25k a few times before moving on.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    First and foremost...ONLY RUN IF YOU REALLY WANT TO ! Too many people on MFP seem to think running is something you have to do. It isn't. It is both a physical and mental challenge. Not everybody is meant to run.

If you are serious about running then get a good pair of shoes, start slowly and go from there.
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Personally, intervals are the way forward, i sprint for 60 secs and rest for 30. I use a treadmill at the gym but the same process can be applied to the outside world. Find a nice hill, sprint up, walk down, lather, rinse, repeat.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The human body is built to run so minus some physical disability anyone can run if they want to. The problem is that most people are critically unfit due to the modern sedentary life. However, everyone also has different levels of talent for running that they get from genetics. Some are going to be able to run faster for longer than others. Some are going to be able to train harder without injury. Some are going to have more mental toughness and continue to train consistently under adverse conditions.

The only way to find out how much talent you have is to train consistently hard for several years and fully develop what you have.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Run slower! Then walk. Then run slowly again. Then walk. Repeat.
  • superfitconball
    superfitconball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Typically for jogging, people recommend a mid-foot strike (landing on your heels puts too much impact on knees and hips).

As for breathing, some people say you should breathe in for 2 counts and out for 3...I find that too much to keep track of so I just try to breathe in and out with deep and even breaths. I find that doing that helps me regulate my heart rate as well and helps me go longer.

Good luck!