Borderline Hypothyroidism Help

Hello everyone!

I've been on MFP since May now, and I've had a very frustrating journey so far. I've picked up many good and healthy habits, like working out 6 times a week, 40 minutes or so each time, and tracking all my food almost every day. I've unfortunately not lost very much weight though. Depending on the day, I'll have lost anywhere between 0 and 4 pounds TOTAL (yes, that little over the course of 4 months). Considering I have more than 40lbs to lose, this is moving much too slowly for me!

I found out about 3 weeks ago that I have borderline hypothyroidism. My doctor isn't treating me for hypothyroidism yet--he said he wants to see "how it progresses" before he will put me on any sort of medication. I've been reading online that many people get stuck at a borderline level for several years and are sort of stuck not losing any weight/gaining weight if they're not dieting and exercising loads.

Has anyone been dealing with this? I'd love any sort of advice from people with hypothyroidism or borderline hypothyroidism? Any specific dietary changes that make a difference? Best types of exercises? Do you take any supplements?

I don't want to keep working this hard to stay where I am! I want to see some results! Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this.

Replies

• i to have a borderling hypothyroid, and my doctor has been watching it waiting for it to correct itself or get worse for 5 years now...it's very frustrating to say the least. i can not seem to lose more then 6 pounds to save my soul, but i'm hoping if i track everything on here it might help because my doctor told me it makes losing weight harder but not impossible, so well see. i started thyroid strength from mega foods a couple of weeks ago. it says its to support an already healthy thyroid but i'm hoping it gives mine the kick it needs to go back to being normal. i have read in many different places that taking Iodine can help but i haven't tried that yet. if you learn of anything that might help please share because i'm willing to try pretty much anything. good luck
  • Thanks, I will let you know. Feel free to add me as a friend also. I've read a little about iodine (from Kelp) and I see mixed information. Be careful-I think taking too much can be dangerous. Do you feel like the Healthy Thyroid helps?
  • I feel it gives me more energy but until i go back for my blood panel that my doctor does every 3 months and see if its helped to kick it towards being healthy or i see weight loss i won't know how well its working. thanks i sent you a friend request :-) have a good day
  • mverdugo7
    mverdugo7 Posts: 3 Member
    I have borderline hypo/hyper thyroidism. I was disgnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis due to post partum pregnancy stuff last March 2011. It is the most frustrating thing ever! I saw 3 different doctors and didnt know what to do.
    I am now on Thyroid medication and it is working well. all 3 doctors did say diet and exercise helps. There is a myth that the thyroid medication will make you lose weight.... that never happened for me. I waited and waited and waited. I had to force myself to eat a little better and work out a tiny bit.
    I have been on a low dose of thyroid medication for the last 8 months, but I think without it, i would be sooo much more tired than I am now. Every single person is different.
    the thyroid medication will help if you want to ask your doctor. thyroid stuff is just frustrating because it takes time, but I think you need some type of thyroid meds to help it along.

good luck. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Go to an endocrinologist and get a second opinion.
  • Go to an endocrinologist and get a second opinion.

I think that's my best bet right now. I'm going to try to get a referral for one from my family doctor. I find it very frustrating that he is making me wait until things get worse until he will do anything to help make things better, so I think a second opinion may be my best bet.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    I think going to an endocrinologist is your best bet. My TSH levels were borderline hypothyroid for several years. I went to see an endo who cautiously watch the levels for a while and then started me on a low dose of Synthryoid. It made a huge difference for me. It feels like I can finally eat like a normal person and not gain weight any more.
    I do understand your frustration. You can work so hard and see little if any progress when your thyroid is out of whack. It does help to eat a very clean diet and as little processed foods and sugar as you can. You already know about exercise so I'm not going to bring that up!:laugh: One of the reasons doctors like to watch the levels is that once you're on thyroid medication, you're on it for the rest of your life.
    You can add me if as a friend if you like too!