can someone look at my diary

Options
and tell me what im doing wrong?
I need help and opinions desperately.
Ive been told i eat to much sugars, and not enough vegetables so Im trying to get that figured out.
I havent really lost anything since i started this, and its a bit discouraging.
Im just not sure what i should and shouldnt be eating.
and what are "good sugars" exactly?

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You're definintely over on your sugars but don't be discouraged! I see that ALL the foods you eat are processed, I know it can be hard but try hard not to snack on processed things. Instead of the bars try fruits, *good sugar. All the frozen fruits, veggies and other things try to eat as many raw versions of those as possible. The biggest thing I can think of is to start replacing the processed things with fresh alternatives and you will see a difference! Unfortunately when you eat foods like the ones shown in your diary they tend to advertise as "healthy" but really are not. What's your calorie allowance? Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Doesn't look too bad. Def add more veggies...keep in mind fruits have a lot of sugars but they are the good kind. You might want to set it up so you track your sodium as well. A lot of packaged things are high in sodium which can make you retain water.
  • racemary
    racemary Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree, you might need to prepare more food from scratch to get rid of hidden sugars and sodium. You could put some fresh fruit into plain yoghurt and you could make healthier choices generally. I rarely allow myself treats, even if I'm under my calorie goal. Do you use kitchen scales? Sometimes we tend to underestimate portion sizes. On the other hand you seem to be burning lots of calories. Are you sure you always burn that much? I stick to 1200 cal net and don't eat all my calories back. So far I'm losing about 2 Ibs a week.
  • masarc
    masarc Posts: 12
    Options
    I definitely agree as well about the sugars especially the granola/cereal type bars. I would lower my intake including fruits such as strawberries etc and maybe just lower how much calories you are eating altogether. I'm trying to stay in between the 1200-1400 range 1500 at the max even though MFP is recommending 1580 a day for me. Also, are you exercising? You'll lose the pounds a lot faster doing both! And when I exercise It gives me "extra earned calories" for the day which I think is kind of ridiculous because you're just undermining what you just worked off aren't you? So I don't ever eat those extra calories. Does any of this make sense? lol
  • snykim2005
    snykim2005 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There are so many mixed opinions about how many calories I really should be eating.
    I do exercise , and when I do it tell you to eat more calories after.
    I was eating only 1200 and thats it, but then everyone kept telling me Im not eating enough becasue I burn more with the exercise.
    So Ive been eating more and just making sure im at 1200 after the exercise is taken off. so im really eating about 1500 give or take everyday. Im not sure what I really should be doing!
    everyone seems to be telling me to stay away from processed foods, so im going to attempt that now.
    Im just not sure what that means. Isnt everything processed , other than fruit and veggie or meats?
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way...the less ingredients on the box/bag, the better. If you must use something processed (and most of us do at some point, to be honest) just try to find the ones with the least amount of ingredients you can't pronounce. :)

And I am on 1200 cals....I eat back almost all of my exercise cals so I "net" around 1200. My diary is open....feel free to look and msg me with questions!

Good luck!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    somebody on here gave me good advice..turn the sugar thing off. especially if you like fruit. I did that and stopped worrying about it. I watch what I'm eating as far as "added sugar" but I will eat my fruit.
  • paralegalnc
    paralegalnc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Here is my opinion... make a doctor's appt and do a fasting blood sugar. My doctor told me to have only one piece of fruit a day IF I had to have a piece. so there are mixed opinions. The only person who can tell you what sugar your body needs will be your physician because they know your history. You could be diabetic, pre-diabetic or insulin resistent like me ... I don't need sugar.... my husband and sister on the other hand need it. The last thing you need is to be working out and fall out cuz you cut your sugar.

I also know the calorie thing on here isnt exactly right. So ask your doctor what the best calorie intake would be for losing the weight after the baby...plug in the numbers yourself...and then your all set.
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try to aim for complex carbs in the form of whole grains (you're doing fairly well there) and more veggies. Experiment with vegetables and I'll bet you'll find you love them!! ANY vegetable roasted @ 425-450 for 15-20 min with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil is delicious! Promise :) Just toss anything you want on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake until crisp tender. Roasting really intensifies the natural flavors. My fav- asparagus, hands down! Snap off the ends and I can eat the whole bunch in 1 sitting. Maybe lighten up on the fruit and aim for only fresh fruit. You're on the right path.... and definitely commend you for looking for answers. Remember that sugar or foods like simple carbs that break down quickly into sugars tend to cause unstable blood sugars and can make you hungrier than protein, complex carb meals. Best to ya~
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but the exercise calories might be not as much as what is being calculated. What exercise are you doing?
  • snykim2005
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice everyone. Im going to expirement with my eating a bit now. Im going to try to cut out a lot of processed foods. And im going to try to have more veggies instead of fruits.
    As far as my exercise, I cant be sure that my calories burned are accurate for some things i do. I do a lot of dancing, and I know it burns a good amount of calories but I cant be sure it is accurate.
    But when I go to the gym , the eliptical and treadmill track my heartrate and tell me how many calories im burning.
    I am pretty active , I exersize at least an hour a day and I rarely sit down as I have 2 little boys and a baby keeping me busy :)

Thanks again for all the advice
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Those big tubs of baby salad greens have a good mix for the money. I have 2-4 cups a day to get my veggies in. I usually buy one of those and a big bag of raw spinach every time I hit the store. You can make a quick salad with every meal.
  • snykim2005
    Options
    the salad thing is a good idea^^^^^^^^^^^
    i love salad so that would be easy for me. thanks for the idea!
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options

As far as my exercise, I cant be sure that my calories burned are accurate for some things i do. I do a lot of dancing, and I know it burns a good amount of calories but I cant be sure it is accurate.
    But when I go to the gym , the eliptical and treadmill track my heartrate and tell me how many calories im burning.
    I am pretty active , I exersize at least an hour a day and I rarely sit down as I have 2 little boys and a baby keeping me busy :)

There is nothing wrong with using the calories burnt figure from those machines, but bear in mind that even the very best ones with a hrm have error of over 10%, and some as much as 40%. Just something to take into account? Whatever the exact figure, you are doing tons of exercise.