OverEaters Anonymous question

Options
Does anyone attend overeaters anonymous meetings? What are they like? Do you think they help? I've been thinking about it after a couple really bad food days. Let me know what your thoughts are....good or bad.

Replies

• Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I know people it worked wonders for but it wasn't for me. To be fair it may have just been the group I was in.

I now belong to TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) and love it.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Because it is anonymous, you may not find too many people that will talk about it. I found the 12 step programs are a wonderful, free, group therapy sessions. There are a lot of intelligent, helpful people who attend.

Good luck to you!

http://www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/

Is OA For You?

Are You a Compulsive Overeater?

Now that you have found Overeaters Anonymous, you may want to make sure our program is right for you. Many of us have found it useful to answer the following questions to help determine if we have a problem with compulsive eating.

1.Do I eat when I’m not hungry, or not eat when my body needs nourishment?
    2.Do I go on eating binges for no apparent reason, sometimes eating until I’m stuffed or even feel sick?
    3.Do I have feelings of guilt, shame or embarrassment about my weight or the way I eat?
    4.Do I eat sensibly in front of others and then make up for it when I am alone?
    5.Is my eating affecting my health or the way I live my life?
    6.When my emotions are intense—whether positive or negative—do I find myself reaching for food?
    7.Do my eating behaviors make me or others unhappy?
    8.Have I ever used laxatives, vomiting, diuretics, excessive exercise, diet pills, shots or other medical interventions (including surgery) to try to control my weight?
    9.Do I fast or severely restrict my food intake to control my weight?
    10.Do I fantasize about how much better life would be if I were a different size or weight?
    11.Do I need to chew or have something in my mouth all the time: food, gum, mints, candies or beverages?
    12.Have I ever eaten food that is burned, frozen or spoiled; from containers in the grocery store; or out of the garbage?
    13.Are there certain foods I can’t stop eating after having the first bite?
    14.Have I lost weight with a diet or “period of control” only to be followed by bouts of uncontrolled eating and/or weight gain?
    15.Do I spend too much time thinking about food, arguing with myself about whether or what to eat, planning the next diet or exercise cure, or counting calories?

Have you answered “yes” to several of these questions? If so, it is possible that you have, or are well on your way to having, a compulsive eating or overeating problem.
  • allishaFaye
    allishaFaye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i go to TOPS also and its great i think just the fact that u say whether or not u gain or lose is scary enough to want to lose :
  • mh569
    mh569 Posts: 41
    Options
    First, allow me to congratulate you on your loss so far : ) I'm new to MFP and looking for some friends for support as well as to give support as well.
    Secondly, I don't have any experience in OA.
    I've never considered doing an overeaters anonymous group meeting, but I think that it would be really helpful. I come from a small northern community in Canada where we don't have stuff like that, but recently moved to a big city.

This morning whilst laying around the house I looked into the fridge where I found some pizza. Having eaten breakfast not an hour before, I thought to myself as I pulled it out "I'm just gonna eat half a piece..." and then another part of my brain went "...because I'm bored."
    It went right back in the fridge.
    Sometimes it's mind over matter, and other times you really need some solid group support. I've had some seriously gnarly food days this week, so I feel you!
    Do what feels right : ) I hope that helps a tiny bit...
  • nurseshannon1975
    Options
    Wow this really put things into perspective! thanks!
  • kml122573
    Options
    I had a gnarly food month filled with a 9# weight gain. I was there for everyone else but myself and I am frustrated with that always happening. Trying to get back on the wagon and take this weight off. I pray for the day that this becomes something I want to do versus something I need to do for my aching bones and self esteem