What to eat early in the morning?

i had a trainer that told me i had to drink water first thing in the morning, then some one told me that is better to eat a fruit before anything else? Anyone has a suggestion or an advise?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,318 Member
    My advice is to find your own path. Eat what you want in the morning. I always drink 24 ounces of water before my coffee, then have a 400 cal breakfast with a balance of Protein, Carbs, and Fat.

Everyone has an opinion. You are the captain of your ship.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 549 Member
    I have a small portion of raw cashews and some dried berries with my green tea in the mornings -- no preparation required!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Yes, we all have very different opinions. Many people have open diaries, explore and experiment. See how your body feels when you eat certain foods. A good indicator of a good breakfast is that you don't get hungry until lunch time, and also that you don't overeat at lunch.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    I eat breakfast and drink at least 1 bottle of water 16.9 ounces every morning. But, It's all what works for you.
  • I drink a glass of water, and have a protein smoothie. Been having this breakfast every day for a few months now, and it works really well for my diet.
  • Drinking water and eating something within the first hour of waking up helps your body to prepare to metabolize. I usually have a bottle of water first thing when i wake up. Then I have a banana or a protein smoothie. shortly after. I have found this very helpful to my weight loss.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I workout in the mornings so I do 4 pcs. of multigrain toast with All natural peanut butter and sprinkle honey on top.. Wash that down with a glass of 1% chocolate milk and my morning coffee... Been my normal breakfast for the last 3 years, I do like a good bowl of cereal (kashi go lean crunch, Kelloggs Crave, Reese's Puffs, Coco Pebbles, to name a few) from time to time... I drink well over 125 oz. a day in water so naturally I start my day downing 32 oz. first thing... Best of Luck.....
  • Nfairley
    Nfairley Posts: 83 Member
    I like to start the day with about 16 oz of water on my way to work, than have an apple or grapes once I get settled in. I usually end up having a small greek yogurt and oatmeal as I need them throughout the morning

Oh, and water throughout the morning too. Keeps me from unleashing the beast that is my hunger on the cafeteria
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    I don't eat anything in the morning save a cup of black coffee. Wake up at 5:00 AM and break my fast between 12:00 and 2:00 PM. The whole "must eat as soon as you wake" mantra is BS.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Banana, serving of peanuts or almonds or whatever nut is available and then sip a giant coffee for the next 3 hours
  • pozzicb01
    pozzicb01 Posts: 14 Member
    I like to start the day with 16 oz of water and a cucumber. I mean as soon as I wake up. My plan is to run after that and then eat my protein, usually eggs.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I don't eat anything in the morning save a cup of black coffee. Wake up at 5:00 AM and break my fast between 12:00 and 2:00 PM. The whole "must eat as soon as you wake" mantra is BS.

I think it comes down to personal preference more than BS... lol Do what works best for you, some need to eat upon waking, I being one do to the fact I am a Diabetic and can't fast any longer than over night do to low blood sugars in the morning plus I workout in the morning so I need breakfast...
  • chrissie1607
    chrissie1607 Posts: 6 Member
    HI, I WAKE at five every morning, but wait until l am at work about 6.30am then have a pot of instant porridge made with hot water, and a cuppa tea.
  • It's good to drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up because it helps to rehydrate you (as you haven't drunk anything in the last 8hrs of sleep) and flush your system. Eating when you get up will kick start your metabolism for the day.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Eat what you want to eat or don't eat. It doesn't matter. It's a bunch of bull that it "kick starts your metabolism". Your metabolism never stops and eating won't do anything to make it any different. People need to stop believing this myth and do what works for them. Frequency and timing of meals has no impact on weight loss beyond individual preference!
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    this is almost exactly what I do. The mornings I run I eat a little more, but it's split into two small meals for pre and post run. I think a large glass of water is really important to start rehydrating especially if you're a coffee drinker (me). I don't always have fruit, but they probably suggested it as a way of getting your sugar levels up quickly to "break the fast". I usually have two slices whole wheat toast with a little butter and two medium cooked eggs. This gets me through almost to lunch. Morning run days are a little different.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    I try to drink some water first and then take my vitamins, if im still hungry after that I go for an orange or a pear.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    It doesn't matter what (or even if) you eat early in the morning. I personally can't stomach food too early, so I just have water until about noon or so. If you're hungry, have something you want that fits into your calorie and nutritional goals; there's really no hard rule for what that has to be.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    The importance of eating early in the morning is one of the myths of weight loss that's been the hardest to kill.

But if you WANT to eat in the morning I recommend a shake with either protein powder or greek yogurt, your choice fruits, spinach, and optionally chia seeds and/or rolled oats.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Water is probably a good idea since you didn't drink all night. The rest is up to you. I tend to eat a piece of toast with pb or cheese or egg. I am hungry when I wake up and I'm diabetic so it messes with my BG when I don't eat. I'm actually jealous of people who don't really eat until lunch. They have less time to consume cals and seem to be less apt to over eat. I usually eat 6 meals a day. It keeps my BG more even.