Anyone with a daily goal of around 1230 cal, pls help...

Options
> What do you eat generally?
> How many meals do you take?
> What is average cal per meal for you?
> What are the beverages that you usually have in a day?
> How many glasses of water do you drink in a day?
> Do you stay within your goal cal, or above it?
> What exercise do you do?
> How many hours do you workout in a day?
> How many days do you workout in a week?
> On an average how many cals do you burn in a day?
> Has your answers to the above questions helped you lose weight?
> If yes then, how many kg/lbs and in what time frame?

Sorry for so many questions. I just wanted to know what loss can I expect in what time frame. Cos it is getting a bit frustrating already :((

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hey there! My calorie goal per day is 1,200
    -Generally I have yogurt and granola for breakfast, sometimes if I'm feeling hungry I have 2tbsp of PB to get some jump start protein and fat for energy,
    -I have 3 main meals and snack anywhere from 2 to 3 times a day
    -My average meal calorie intake is between 250-400, although I like to stay around 300
    -I drink only water, or sometimes tea, with not sweeteners, but WATER WATER WATER
    -at least ten glasses a day
    -I usually am always below my calorie goal
    -I personally am unable to exercise much but i do bike, bridges, and core strengthening
    -I only "workout" twice a week with therapist supervision, but am active every day in some way
    -well, my cals and your cals will be different! I have a very active job so everyone is very different
    -I have lost a little over 4lbs in just over a week, mind you mst of that was from going on a complete wheat free diet

hope this helps!
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    *oops, for lunch and dinner I have a protein with vegatable and sometimes a carb!
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Sorry for so many questions. I just wanted to know what loss can I expect in what time frame. Cos it is getting a bit frustrating already :((

I set my calorie goal for 1250. My diary is open if you want to take a look at it. I am always full by the end of the day. I haven't been working out yet, but plan to start soon.. with that said, I have lost 9 llbs in 36 days, just through diet alone. feel free to add me if you wish
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    > What do you eat generally? - Tons! Typical staples for me are egg whites, oatmeal, fish, chicken, peanut butter, strawberries, sweet peas, banana, soyjoy bar, homemade soup, protein shake w/almond milk, etc. I also eat quite a bit of bread (I love anything carbs).
    > How many meals do you take? I do 3 'main' meals and a ton of snacking. Usually around 4 snacks.
    > What is average cal per meal for you? - Probably around 300 calories or so.
    > What are the beverages that you usually have in a day? Only water and almond milk (just with my protein shake). I don't drink anything else at all.
    > How many glasses of water do you drink in a day? - At least 8+
    > Do you stay within your goal cal, or above it? - I've never gone above before.
    > What exercise do you do? - I don't do much, honestly. I alternate between doing the 30 day shred some days, and other days I go to the gym and use the treadmill, elliptical and some lifting.
    > How many hours do you workout in a day? - I only do between 30-45 minutes a day.
    > How many days do you workout in a week? - 5
    > On an average how many cals do you burn in a day? - Usually only between 200-300.
    > Has your answers to the above questions helped you lose weight? - Definitely.
    > If yes then, how many kg/lbs and in what time frame? - I started June 27th and have lost 22 pounds so far without changing anything up. :)
  • LadyHappyfish
    LadyHappyfish Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I cook like I used to I use lower fat meat options,
    I cheat and have slimfast for break fast

Before 2 now 3 and 2-3 snacks

> What is average cal per meal for you? 230 -350

> What are the beverages that you usually have in a day? 3 coffee morn - green tea all day (o cal) coffee in the eve

(I'm kidding my self the green tea is water )

Close both ways above and below always over on my protein I need to work on that

Biggest loser kinect, and walking kids to the river

2 x 20 mins

today first day missed so far

60 -300

Gained weight first 2 days I was double counting eating back exercise cals - a misunderstanding on my goals page
    Lost 1/2 kg in the next 2 days

answers above

Hope that helps you
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    > What do you eat generally? open diary, check it out if you want - small breakfast, leftovers from night before for lunch
    > How many meals do you take? small breakfast, regular sized lunch and dinner, sometimes a snack
    > What is average cal per meal for you? under 100 cal breakfast (not a breakfast person) between 400-600 lunch and same for dinner - keep snacks under 200
    > What are the beverages that you usually have in a day? usually just water - occasionally a coffee and rarely a soda
    > How many glasses of water do you drink in a day? 8-10 at least
    > Do you stay within your goal cal, or above it? sometimes under, sometimes over - have been sick this past week and had trouble meeting calories some days
    > What exercise do you do? elliptical most days, walk the dog some days
    > How many hours do you workout in a day? 30min usually, an hour on days I take the dog for walks
    > How many days do you workout in a week? usually average about 5, aim for every day, but it doesnt always happen
    > On an average how many cals do you burn in a day? 250 from exercise, who knows how many from work and other daily activities
    > Has your answers to the above questions helped you lose weight? yes
    > If yes then, how many kg/lbs and in what time frame? 11.5 lbs in about 7.5 weeks
  • MMKE4ever
    MMKE4ever Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    > I usually eat eggs or cereal with almond milk for breakfast, a sandwich, for lunch, and it varies with dinner.
    > I eat breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner.
    > My calories for each meal are between 200 to 600. Dinner is my biggest meal.
    > I only dink water.
    > I drink 10 glasses of water a day.
    > I usually have 200 calories left over, except for the weekends.
    >I do the treadmill, walk, and Kinect games.
    > I workout 30-45 minutes a day.
    >I workout 6 days a week.
    >I burn between 200 to 250 calories a day.
    > Yes this has helped me.
    > I have lost 25 pounds in 4 months.

*Edited to add: my calorie intake goal is 1200 a day.
  • oeagleo
    oeagleo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I actually started on my quest when I was a little over 300 lbs, but didn't get "serious" until I was at 275 (March 16th of this year). Then, I purchased a Fitbit, a Polar heart rate monitor, and a Withings scale. I let my diet app decide my calorie intake, with a goal of 200 lbs, and it allows me to have around 1800 or so calories a day; although lately I've noticed as I loose weight, (I'm at 234 now) the calorie allowance goes down.
    Now, for the generalities, I generally try to stay each meal below 350 calories, which is not too hard. I usually have either a bowl of cereal, (I like Cheerio's, Corn Chex, Shreaded Wheat), or one of the Jimmy Dean "Light" breakfast type sandwiches. They have Turkey Sausage, Egg whites, low-fat cheese, and either a croissant, or muffin.
    For Lunch, I have either one of the Smart Ones dinners, or other of the single serving, microwavable dinners around 250-300 calories. I have also discoverd a product called "Honey Wheat Sandwich Thins" that are only 100 Calories per "sandwich", and very tasty. They work well for almost any sandwich, smoked turkey slices, (at about 35 cals per slice), Tuna salad, etc.
    Dinner is my downfall, as it's usually a homemade recipe, but I've found substituting Turkey Burgers for beef, use of chicken, etc, and smaller portions, with a large helping of salad, and a low fat dressing generally keeps me under 400 cals for dinner. I've lost a total of 40 and a half pounds since I started in March.
    I do walk all I can, generally do a 15-30 minute walk at 2.5 mph on a treadmill every day, and work out for about an hour every other day. Nothing major, I purchased a pair of 8 lb weights, and do about 3 sets of between 15-25 reps of several exercises for my arms, shoulders, back, and waist. This has helped me loose weight, but the main purpose for including the exercises was to get rid of the "lunch lady" arms, the huge flaps of loose skin that used to be occupied by fat.
    I'm male, and 64 years old, and feel great. Although I do watch my heart rate during exercise and if it gets close to my maximum, I wait until it lowers to a more acceptable rate. The max heart rate is something that is calculated, but the Polar monitor also shows the actual calorie burn, that I add into the fitbit allowance. I might add that in addition to loosing the weight, I have gone from a 50" waist to a 42" waist, and will need to buy more pants and belt soon..
    A rather lengthy reply, but I hope it helps..
  • KeiKun
    KeiKun Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey :) 1230 can seem quite low to begin with, but trust me, you can eat 1200 cals and still feel full :D

This varies a lot, but here's a sample:
    Breakfasts:
    - 2 slices of Wholegrain toast with 5g of margarine, and a few sliced strawberries instead of jam/jelly.
    - A small bowl of plain porridge oats with semi skimmed milk. Somethings a side of berries with this.
    - 4 Grilled cherry tomatoes, a fried egg [cooking with 1 calorie oil spray - PAM or Fry Light], and a slice of whole grain toast.
    - A fruit salad, drizzled with a little yoghurt.
    - If in a rush, I'll blitz up a 1.5 cups of mixed fruits and have a smoothie to go.

Lunches*:
    - 50 grams of pasta in tomato sauce.
    - A salad sandwich with 30g of mild cheddar cheese.
    - A bowl of hearty homemade soup with 2 crackers.
    - Fish fingers / fish sticks in a whole grain bun.
    - A tortilla wrap filled with lots of good stuff!
    - Lentil or bean stews.
    - Hummus on pitta bread, lightly drizzled with lemon juice.

Dinners*:
    - Oven baked fillet of cod marinaded in a lime & chill sauce
    - Homemade sushi
    - Homemade curry's
    - Noodle stir-frys [with PAM/Fry Light]
    - 1-2 slices of thin and crispy stone baked spinach pizza.

*With all lunches:
    A side of pre-prepared salad which consists of cherry tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, swetcorn, grated carrot, a few olives, and some peppers.

*With all dinners:
    A quarter of a cup full of boiled/steamed mixed vegetables.

3 Meals, no snacks unless I'm really hungry, :D

300-500. No single meal of mine should exceed 500 cals.

Lots of water, at least 9 glasses. Never any soda or store bought juices.
    Oh and a mug of black coffee every day, just can't give it up :3

See above.

6/7 days a week, I'm within my cal goal. Not afraid to go over the macros with proteins though.

Not a lot...mainly long walks, and dancing. Keeping it enjoyable :D

-
    At least 2 :X

150-500, all depends on how much free time I have.

Yep, steadily, truthfully a little slower than I expected. But I've dropped 4 Jeans sizes in the last 3 months :)

9lbs in about 2 and a half months.
  • floridaboater
    floridaboater Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is a great post...I love new ideas. I am 45 and just wanted to lose about 5 lbs...now working on toning and maintaining. Breakfast is usually 1/2 whole wheat bagel thin with a bit of light cream cheese and small cup of coffee. I then go for 45 minute walk at a good pace. Come home and have a small protein shake with 1/2 banana. No snack until lunch which is usually a salad with protein. Mid-day snacks are either almonds or kashi bar with protein. For dinner I have protein like shrimp, fish, red meat, etc. and veggie...I try to avoid carbs at dinner during the week. Snack at night may be another small protein shake, small Greek yogurt, small cup of frozen yogurt or a scoop of peanut butter. I have been swimming laps at night too. I started MFP a few weeks ago and was starving the first few days but have adjusted. This site has been a life saver and made me aware of how much better I do with high protein...I feel so much better and it keeps me thinner...good luck!!!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm zig-zagging calories to average 1250 per day. Best advice - eat lots of low calorie, high volume foods when you are hungry - mostly veggies. I eat three meals and have one or two snacks a day. I try to keep my meals fairly balanced when it comes to calories. I tend to eat more protein and fat and less carbs than MFP recommends. My average exercise burn is about 350 - I do 20 minutes of walking and 20 minutes of weights every day except Sunday which is my rest my body day. I weigh once a week and am glad to see any kind of a loss...I get really excited if it's over 1 lb.

Don't get discouraged. You didn't gain the weight overnight and it's going to take awhile to lose it. Just make great choices everyday and it will come off. Look at this as a healthy lifestyle that is sustainable and maintainable...

Good luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1200. What I did was google "lowest calorie foods" and a list of 25 came up. Do that...and start making meals from the list. That is what I do to make it to the end of the day. I have not worked out yet..because I fear I'll be so darned hungry if I do. However..I think I'll try this week.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1200 (before working in exercise, and I have my daily level of activity set to "sedentary," since I'm at my computer a lot. There are days when I'm super active; it balances out).

I mess up a lot by eating things like chips or even ice cream, but on a good day, I have some grains: either rice, quinoa, or couscous and lots of raw veggies (cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, green onions, and more) and sometimes mushrooms. I'm not a vegetarian, but I rarely eat meat, mainly because of cost, and partly because I don't really LOVE meat (except for a fabulous steak or some fish in sushi). Instead, I get my protein/iron from beans (black beans, garbanzos, lentils) and spices like cumin seed (just 1 teaspoon of powdered cumin seed has 8 grams of iron!) I try to incorporate fruit into my diet, but I'm allergic to most fresh fruits. :( I love carbs, but I try to limit it to my rice. I try to keep bread scarce, but when I do eat it, I have whole wheat bread and use olive oil instead of butter. Then again, there are days when I'm poor and just have to eat whatever's in the house, so I had a bagel today. I mess up a lot (usually because of money problems; I just eat whatever's around/bought for me), but I try to keep it simple: very few processed foods, lots of veggies (raw if possible, though sometimes raw veggies sound unappetizing-- on days like that, I'll roast some carrots or something), protein (I have a feeling I'll be eating a lot more chicken soon). By TRYING to cut back on carbs, I end up staying around a regular intake of carbs (not less than suggested).

I typically eat 3-5 meals a day. It depends on what you count as a "meal." I eat something within a few hours of waking up (which is usually later in the day right now since college isn't in session and my job recently changed). I try to exercise before I eat in the morning to get my metabolism going, but some days that just doesn't happen. If I don't exercise before my 1st meal, I will afterward and then usually have my second meal. I'll usually have some kind of snack, then dinner and sometimes another snack.

This one's tough. I usually have some meals that are around 300 calories-- it's easy to make very filling meals that are around this, as long as you incorporate lots of veggies/beans. But toward evening, I always get hungrier or end up going out with friends and may have a meal closer to 600 or 700 calories. On days when I know I'm going out in the evening, I try to eat small, low-calorie meals during the day.

Lots of days, I drink nothing but water. Sometimes I add lemon juice for a little extra flavor, cleansing properties, and teeth whitening effects. I hate wasting my calories on drinks, because they don't fill me up. But there are times when I've gotten a smoothie from Smoothie King as a quick meal (they have many that have added vitamins, protein, etc., and don't use ice cream or anything). I have recently developed a liking for Coke Zero, which is a shame, but I have some of those when I'm feeling hungry but don't actually NEED any more food. Sometimes they help suppress my appetite. I don't suggest it, though, as they are full of aspartame. I by the mini 7.5 oz cans of it so I never drink a "whole" coke at once.
    Other than that, I DO love orange juice and orange mango juice, so I occasionally buy that, especially if I feel a cold coming on-- gotta love Vitamin-C!

> How many glasses of water do you drink in a day? Definitely at LEAST 8. MFP defines a glass as a cup, so I probably drink a lot more than that (my glasses hold around 2 cups each). I LOVE water-- if I'm at home, I've constantly got a glass of it beside me.

I go over a lot, but I'm working on that. :) I've still been losing weight, since I took like a month of of MFP, but I'm sure I'll plateau soon and need to watch my calories more closely.

I LOVE kundalini yoga. It's like "regular" yoga, but in my opinion burns more calories. I used to do hatha yoga and other kinds of yoga-- I've taken a few different classes-- but kundalini has its own breathing techniques that mimic aerobic breathing and help burn up more calories. And the positions are more intense/prolonged/repeated. If you want to know more, check out the DVDs and FAQ section of http://www.raviana.com.

I only aim to work out 30 minutes a day, because some days I am just too busy. For the past year, I worked 12-hour-shifts as a nanny, so I burned a lot of calories chasing after a 4-year-old, swimming, pushing her on the swing, pitching her balls to hit, etc. Now that I've quit my job, I have more time to exercise and usually get in at least an hour a day. On top of my intentional exercise, I like to walk or bike to anywhere I'm going that's nearby my house (such as my college, my boyfriend's house, my bank, etc.)
    And if I'm watching a T.V. show, I often pick up my hula hoop and time myself hooping for a while. It burns a LOT of calories!

I aim for 5 out of 7, but lately I've had so much free time (and am procrastinating writing my thesis, haha) that I have been working out 7 out of 7.

Usually at least 200. Sometimes closer to 600.

When I stick to my plan, I lose a lot of weight. But I fall of the train a lot when things in my life hit me the wrong way. So my weight has gone up and done a lot. (It has my whole life, though). In the past week of sticking to my goals (but going a bit over on calories), I've still lost 5 pounds. I also take my measurements a lot and notice that the circumference of my thighs, waist, etc., go down even if I just stick to my yoga and eating a little less for just a week. It DEFINITELY works. Clothes fit a lot better, too.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that I also do drink coffee and plenty of hot tea (usually peppermint or green). Helps stall the appetite, ease pains/stress (the herbal tea anyway), and the coffee helps constipation and energy. I try to only add a fat-free creamer.
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What do you eat generally? Everything, Partial to gnocchi w/a lowfat version of homemade alfredo sauce, fruits and vegetables. You are welcome to view my food and exercise diary.
    > How many meals do you take? 3 plus a lot of snacking
    > What is average cal per meal for you? Generally around 300 plus
    > What are the beverages that you usually have in a day? Morning Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino or cafe w/creamer, Almond Milk, occasional cranberry juice, and water
    > How many glasses of water do you drink in a day? 4plus
    > Do you stay within your goal cal, or above it? Always within
    > What exercise do you do? Running in place, boxing, walking
    > How many hours do you workout in a day? 1-3plus
    > How many days do you workout in a week? Right now...7
    > On an average how many cals do you burn in a day? I burn between 550 and 1050.
    > Has your answers to the above questions helped you lose weight? Yes
    > If yes then, how many kg/lbs and in what time frame? I lost 11 pounds from March to June, Joined MFP on July 23rd and will weigh again on August 23rd.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    bump
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    What do you eat generally? Everything You are welcome to view my food
    > How many meals do you take? 3 plus 2 or 3 snacks
    > What is average cal per meal for you? varys
    > What are the beverages that you usually have in a day? black coffee.. water plain and with Mio water enhencers
    > How many glasses of water do you drink in a day? 10 plus
    > Do you stay within your goal cal, or above it? mostly under..once in awhile over
    > What exercise do you do? at the gym weight training and various cardio
    > How many hours do you workout in a day? 1 1/2 hours
    > How many days do you workout in a week? 5
    > On an average how many cals do you burn in a day? with my workouts about 650 and up
    > Has your answers to the above questions helped you lose weight? Yes
    > If yes then, how many kg/lbs and in what time frame? 53 pounds since mid April
  • Melanie_xox
    Melanie_xox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    honestly I started out trying to do the 1 pound thing at 1600 or so calories, and I would still go over. and now here I am at 1200, most days I have been staying within that but even if im over by a few now, I know I am still losing weight. I have been working on finding meals under 300 ish calories, Usually I try 250 for breakfast, 300 lunch 300 supper, and the rest in snacks/treats if i need them.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Have you checked out this thread and used the calculators yet? MFP will give you a low calorie target if you tell it you want to loose 2 lb a week. If that is you in your photo then that is way too low. You will need to eat more to sustain weight loss.

find you TDEE and set you target to TDEE -20%.
    It will be much easier to stick with in the long run than 1200.
  • Gretch33
    Gretch33 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Love these questions. One of my greatest concerns was how to aford better food. Well, my answer came with the .99 store. They sell apple sauce no sugar 6 for .99. Quacker single packs, diet dr. pepper for .50 a can. Arm your self with the 6 packs for rasins too. It's good to have these so that when you NEED a snack your well equiped with snacks that litteraly cost uner .30 a snack. Explore diff ways to creat new salads too. Using your fruits and meats. The variety will help keep it "fun"! I average about 300 a meal and I loose between 5 and 10 a month! Can you imagine what that will be in just a year! Have fun!