Recent break up, comfort eating!

Options
I've recently been dumped by my boyfriend ad I'm worried I'll undo all the efforts I've been through, by comfort eatin to stop the pain... HELP

Replies

• xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from comfort eating and eating when I'm bored. The best advice I have to get rid of the need to comfort eat is to actually feel your emotions. Don't use food or something else to distract you from how your feeling. If you're sad, or angry allow yourself to feel those emotions. Don't feel ashamed about them and try to hide them. Let yourself really go through the process of breaking up. Maybe write down how your feeling, listen to music you identify with, or just get yourself out of the house. Try a workout to take your mind off it, or take a walk when you get the urge to eat. Also sometimes I chew gum when I'm feeling particularly challenged with comfort eating. Good luck!
  • graciepoo_09
    Options
    i know what you're going through.
    if you want to eat, grab healthy munchies (some baby carrots, perhaps) or a craving, substitute it with a healthy choice. an apple with some cinnamon or peanut butter is good.
    just think of when he sees you and you're at your goal.
    daaaang.

stay strong! :)
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Went through the same thing at the end of June although I was adding binge drinking as well as eating which was not cool. But with a bit of help from my friends I got through it, am back on track and losing more than when I was with him.

Definitely get some healthy snacks in the house but also find something new to fill your time. I finally got round to joining an exercise class after he left me. Making new friends and keeping fit!

It will take time but you'll get there. xx
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from comfort eating and eating when I'm bored. The best advice I have to get rid of the need to comfort eat is to actually feel your emotions. Don't use food or something else to distract you from how your feeling. If you're sad, or angry allow yourself to feel those emotions. Don't feel ashamed about them and try to hide them. Let yourself really go through the process of breaking up. Maybe write down how your feeling, listen to music you identify with, or just get yourself out of the house. Try a workout to take your mind off it, or take a walk when you get the urge to eat. Also sometimes I chew gum when I'm feeling particularly challenged with comfort eating. Good luck!

Very good advice.

I feel for you, I was dumped in January (via text) and looking back I think I did feel my emotion. I cried alot, i was angry alot, but I really kept a hold of my eating. I have since went on to lose alot more weight than when I was with him. Just keep yourself busy - workout more, see friends more, etc. Just pack up your life with things YOU enjoy.

Keep your chin up. It is hard to see now but everything happens for a reason. I went on and met someone new and am SOOO happy now I was dumped or I would never have met him.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd allow yourself a little grieving time. There's no race to the finish line with weight-loss and fitness. If eating is what you need to help yourself emotionally, indulge a little. Make it something small and make sure you enjoy it with GUSTO. Commit to it. =)
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that :(

Stock up on lots of healthy snacks so when you go to the kitchen you have plenty of options. If you want to eat something like ice cream, you should have to leave the house to eat it. Makes it harder.

Also, maybe journal about your feelings. Sometimes writing "God, he's such a jerk, but I miss him," or whatever is true for you, over and over to fill up a page can make you feel better. Also, where do you want to be in a year - focusing on your own goals can make you feel better. Go out with friends, don't leave yourself alone with nothing to do or that leads to overeating (for me anyway). Have there been things you've wanted to do for a while but haven't? Like start reading a new book, take an exercise class, see an old friend? Do those things! Take care girl - you'll get through it!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I went through a break up around 2ish months ago, and I am not going to lie you my very well comfort eat. It's a pretty usual reaction to a break up HOWEVER! Doesn't mean the comfort eating will be as bad as you think. The fact you are aware it could happen means you can prepare for whatever might happen. Try and keep some low cal/fat treats in and try and distract yourself from what's happening with some exercise which should help counteract some of the excess calories you might eat.

It should happen forever, you may have 2 bad weeks at the most but hopefully with preparation, it wont be as bad at the end as you think. Just pick yourself back up at the end and keep going. It's not the falls that matter, it's how you pick yourself back up.
  • Reginahasdoneit
    Options
    like that advice! :happy:
  • sherry009
    Options
    its hard to go thru that and the way I did it was to make myself feel better by thinking ok,Im gonna show him what he is missing!!! and I figure if hes not the one for me,that means there is a man out there that is for me... so I spent my time working on me!!! thats how I got thru it,but its true,you need to go thru all the feelings you have inside,dont bury them!!! good luck to you and if you need to talk Im here!! Im sherry,nice to meet you!!!!
  • PrettyScenery
    PrettyScenery Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your breakup.

There may be some pain and you may want to eat comfort foods but look how far you have come. This is the time to push, be more motivated and let your feelings out through exercise. Stay strong, positive, and don't give up on YOUR goal. The next time he sees you he will be wishing he hadn't let you go!

Stay strong and good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    dont do it.

if food was therapy, chef's would have degrees in pyschology.

eating your emotions is lame. so 90s.

now the people that respond to emotional trauma with increased badassery are the ones that have it going on.

dont be lame AND broken hearted.
  • neh979
    neh979 Posts: 18
    Options
    Feel free to add me..I have 50 lbs to loose and I am in the same boat ..breakup after 4 year of relationship .Hope we can motivate and keep each other on track :-)