Serving sizes, need help

Options
I'm making a trukey breast tonight for dinner and I don't know how to tell how much 3-4 ounces is? I've heard a meat serving is almost the size of your hand. What do you do to tell how much a serving size is?

Replies

• breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    I have heard a deck of cards, I think I want a kitchen scale, tired of guessing on this stuff
  • guamchar
    guamchar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've heard that a serving of chicken (or turkey) is roughly the size of the palm of an average woman's hand.
  • shaunahorne
    shaunahorne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - I think I'm going to buy a good kitchen scale.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I have a digital food scale and love it. It is the Watch watcher one. I bought when I was doing Weight Watchers a few years ago. I think I paid @$30 for it. I would suggest getting one just so your not guessing. But here is what I found.

The look of normal portion sizes:

1 oz. meat: size of a matchbox
    3 oz. meat: size of a deck of cards or bar of soap—the recommended portion for a meal
    8 oz. meat: size of a thin paperback book
    3 oz. fish: size of a checkbook
    1 oz. cheese: size of 4 dice
    Medium potato: size of a computer mouse
    2 Tbs. peanut butter: size of a ping pong ball
    1/2 cup pasta: size of a tennis ball
    Average bagel: size of a hockey puck.

The list below explains the size, shape, and/or look of one serving.

medium apple or orange: the size of a tennis ball
    1 cup chopped raw vegetables or fruit: baseball size
    1/4 cup dried fruit (raisins, apricots, mango): a small handful
    lunch-box size container of unsweetened applesauce
    cup of lettuce: four leaves
    chicken stir-fry with 1 cup of mixed broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms (= 2 vegetable servings)
    1/2 cup cooked or canned legumes (beans and peas)
    5-6 baby carrots

From the American Cancer Society Website

Hope this helps!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    Thank you ltlhmom, that was a great help :happy:
  • countrybabe
    Options
    Oh god how do you remember all that. I have to be honest and think those portion sizes sound very small I'm know beginning to realise why i'm so over weight , too much food on my plate!! these boards are great support.
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    I just look at the weight on the package of meat, and do the math. I would also like a digital scale though. Would be easier.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just went to Target and bought a food scale that was on clearance for $17. I've used it for every meal... it's SO handy. I think that the best part about it is that I don't have to guess anymore. It's also nice not to have to measure everything anymore. I can set my plate on it, zero it out, and then add the food as I go. Very convenient!
  • amyalwaysonline6
    Options
    I have the biggest loser digital scale, it was $20 at bed bath and beyond. It's great. I can measure cereal and zero it out and add the milk. I measure everything with it. I was way off on a lot of things. Even things when the package says the serving size is about 12 pieces or something like that, that's usually not true.
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    I have the biggest loser digital scale, it was $20 at bed bath and beyond. It's great. I can measure cereal and zero it out and add the milk. I measure everything with it. I was way off on a lot of things. Even things when the package says the serving size is about 12 pieces or something like that, that's usually not true.

Oh, so true! I was always eating 12 of these crackers I love, because the serving size said "5 oz. (about 12 crackers)" and I didn't have a scale. I bought one recently, and 5 oz. is only 9 crackers! I definetely suggest everyone get a scale - you can get a prety cheap one at Target.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the scale tip I didn't think about zeroing it out! LOL I have been measuring each thing then adding it to my plate. Just makes more dish. Thanks!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yes, thanks ltlhmom, the visual guide helps alot! :flowerforyou: