Ranch Substitute

Options
Netterz0087
Netterz0087 Posts: 91 Member
Does anyone know a good substitute for Ranch dressing on a salad? I love salads but I always need a dressing and of course the only dressing I like are the fatty creamy ones. So obviously, my favorite dressing is ranch. I used to eat it with everything, pizza crust, fries, celery, wings, salads...you get the idea. So anyways...I started my MFP account this week with my Fiance and I would have 2 TBS of my yummy yummy Ranch and it would jack my "Fat" Points up. So I'm trying -- (very hard) -- to find a substitute that would taste similar to Ranch and be creamy.

Does anyone have suggestions? I've seen one thing that could work and it was a packet of Ranch seasoning mixed in Greek Yogurt. I don't like Greek Yogurt so I'm not sure about it -- but I would give it a try if that's my only option.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know a good substitute for Ranch dressing on a salad? I love salads but I always need a dressing and of course the only dressing I like are the fatty creamy ones. So obviously, my favorite dressing is ranch. I used to eat it with everything, pizza crust, fries, celery, wings, salads...you get the idea. So anyways...I started my MFP account this week with my Fiance and I would have 2 TBS of my yummy yummy Ranch and it would jack my "Fat" Points up. So I'm trying -- (very hard) -- to find a substitute that would taste similar to Ranch and be creamy.

Does anyone have suggestions? I've seen one thing that could work and it was a packet of Ranch seasoning mixed in Greek Yogurt. I don't like Greek Yogurt so I'm not sure about it -- but I would give it a try if that's my only option.

Just eat the ranch, there really is no arbitrary upper limit on fats to eat, just get in adequate protein and fit the ranch into your cals
  • Netterz0087
    Netterz0087 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You just made my day! I went over my "fats" yesterday by 10 and I wasn't sure how bad that was, but my other fats came from Eggs and Turkey so I just trying to keep it minimal. Staying with Ranch!
  • SilentJo
    SilentJo Posts: 66
    Options
    Try to find a Light Ranch that you like. I'd suggest leaving the Fat Free Ranch alone. Nearly every product I've tried that was fat free tasted horrible, but most of the Light versions are good. :)

jo
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Buy the dry ranch seasoning mix and blend it into some non-fat plain greek yogurt (or other plain yogurt of your choice if the consistency of the Greek yogurt is too thick - or you can thin it with water, skim milk, etc.)
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've made it with greek yogurt or cottage cheese. I even eat the full fat version.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    ranch is good because it is low carb.

fats are yummy, don't give them up :D
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Im also a ranch addict and my biggest weakness is ranch dip and tostitos!! Since joing mfp i have tried every alternative including mixing the dry ranch mix with greek yogurt which i hated the taste of, i also tried mixing it with the light sour cream and fat free <- i threw this out right after making it! The best tasting is the original sour cream with the ranch dressing packet which i have on occassion but i limit how much i can eat and switched to pita chips, organic blue corn chips or dip veggies in! So as for the dressing i would stick with the original ranch or try a light ranch. I dont mind the light dressings!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think plain greek yogurt tastes like chalk, and haven't tried it with ranch mix, but it's really good mixed with buffalo sauce.

If you're really concerned about the calories in Ranch, dilute it with skim milk.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I just mix seasonings with plain yogurt because I think the lower calorie salad dressings taste like *kitten*. And I like to eat. A lot. So I'm not blowing 180 calories or whatever on 2 lousy tablespoons of dressng.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    1 cup fage 0% plain greek yogurt
    1 cup fat free cottage cheese
    2/3 tsp beef "better than bouillon"
    dried minced onion
    onion powder
    garlic powder
    dried dill weed
    ground black pepper
    3 T frank's hot sauce
    stir with fork until mixed. cover bowl in saran wrap and store in the fridge. if you were to put your face in the bowl and eat the entire concoction, it would cost you 270 calories (imagine a bowl filled with the most delicious dip in the world). However, 2T is plenty for a serving on a salad.