Always hungery

Options
I cant not loose weight. I have even went to the doctor and he prescribe me diet pills. I always feel hungry. I suffer from depression and think the meds from that is stopping the diet pills from working. I hate to see pictures of myself and bathing I cry at times at how my body looks now. I have had two children and I weigh more than I did when I gave birth to them. Any advice would help.

Replies

• zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Coming from a Paleolithic diet mindset, the best way to not be hungry is FATS. Natural fats! Avocados, meats (lean tends to be better), Coconut Oil (for cooking).

Another thing that has always helped me avoid hunger is a small handful of almonds, or a few sticks of celery. Also, slow small sips of a glass or two of water helps you stay full as well.

Good luck!
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi DD,

Depression is a real medical condition so I am glad you made the choice to seek treatment. Having said this you may need to find a doctor who works both with meds and a holistic approach. Running helps me a lot. You may find swimming or biking to be a good fit. But some of the meds just numb you. So talk with your medical provider to find a better fit. The newest on the market meds are good for some but there are a lot of milder meds that have way fewer side effects. You have 2 kids to keep up with and you need to put you first to do that.

Blessings
    Patsy
  • skittlelife1
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water and skim milk helps me feel full! If you feel upset looking at your body, then stop looking at it as much as you can! Dont make yourself cry if you can help it! There are so many success stories and pictures on here...if they can do it, then you most certainly can as well! Also, taking a good walk after eating helps me, so try to avoid sitting down or being inactive after meals. I know how it feels to miss your old body--when i was in ninth grade, I could eat whatever I wanted, and my stomach remained flat! I ran track, which may have contributed, but mostly it was because I kept myself busy! For some reason, in tenth grade, I began binge eating, especially when I got home from school. I would not eat anything in school and then when I got home I ran straight to the kitchen and kept eating, even when I was way past full. I would feel like total crap about it 10 minutes after, but while I was bingeing all I could think was, "well, you already ate a lot, you might as well eat more while your at it". I gained several pounds from this habit and am now trying to lose them. I have found that eating consistently throughout the day is really helpful when trying not to binge. Also, you MUST treat yourself every once in a while. Every weekend, I incorporate an ice cream sundae into my meal plan. This has been medically recommended for people who have trouble eating out of control. This way, you are not "punishing" or "restricting" yourself, so you have less reasons to crave ginormous amounts of comfort food. If it is part of your calorie intake for the day, then you dont have to feel bad about this small treat! good luck, and I just want you to know, I like your hair!
  • tracyt84
    tracyt84 Posts: 15
    Options
    i cant really give u any usefull advice as i had a gastric band but no way did i take the easy way out,believe me i tried everything going to loose weight and the band is still very hard work,i just wanted to let u know that i know exactly how u are feeling xx
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    A lot of times depression will make you crave food, as a sort of self-medication. I've found it helps during the worst cravings to start writing down everything I'm feeling at that exact moment, before giving in. Sometimes I find out as I write that I'm not hungry at all - just stressed, anxious, angry, or some other unexpressed feeling that is triggering the depressive cycle right then. More times than not, that alone is enough to make me think twice about turning to the fridge.
  • foreversunshine1
    foreversunshine1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I looked over your profile and what I see is a very determined, beautiful, proud wife and mother! It doesn't matter what we see, it is how you see yourself that counts. Finding acceptance for yourself (good and bad) is a step in the direction of change. You may not like where you are...but you are here... so love yourself anyway...as is. Hold your chin up girly and be proud of yourself, this is just a stepping stone to where you are heading,.. a healthier, happier you.

BOttom line, you are here and that itself says a lot about your journey ahead. You have created a plan, now work it... every day. Check with your doctor to make sure there are no adjustements needed on your meds, then stick to your plan. The routine of eating well and exercising is going to be a great help to your mood levels, as well as getting you back to the fit body you want.. It's win, win.

I am glad you are here!! Good luck!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    DD,
    Welcome to the boards. You have a beautiful smile and deserve to love yourself and be happy with who you are. Depression is a real medical issue and can make putting one foot in front of the other difficult. Having a family to care for is hard too especially if it takes away from the energy that you need to be placing on your own health. Take the time to care for yourself.

Depression runs in my family so I know how hard things can be some times and how little others recognize what it does to us.

A few things to consider - your calorie target may be set too low for you height weight and age. MFP will give you unrealistic numbers if you tell it you want to loose 2 lbs a week - it is not a sustainable number. Take a look the linkbelow. Dan does a great job of explaining how to find out what you calorie goals should be for safe sustainable weight loss. The goals should be something you can do for the rest of your life - not just a number you struggle to meet during your journey. If it is too hard then it just feeds back into your depression and feelings of failure.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Talk to you therapist about your antidepressant - there are many to try and some have less side effects. You may be able to come p with a combination that does not effect your appetite.

Get out and walk or find an exercise that you like to do - there are many studies that show that exercise will help lessen the symptoms of depression.

Take a look at the information on light therapy. Many persons with depression benefit from daily doses of bright light. Get out and sit in the sun and relax for 15- 20 minutes a day. You can get inexpensive light therapy boxes on line these days and you may be able to get the cost covered as a therapy by your medical insurance. Now that it is getting darker in the morning a dawn simulator might help as well.

Hang in there. You will get there if you keep at it. Work with your MD and your therapist, they can help you on this journey!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hungry all time usually stems from the type of foods, or lack of meal planning on your part. However, your diary is locked up so its difficult to give suggestions...

Could you open up your diary?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    when I feel anxiety ..and I've only felt depression a few times. I actually "fake it till I make it." I know that is cornball. But I clean my house...put on a funny movie...put a smile on my face... even sing a fun song. I also focus on people and things outside of myself. when you Do these things ..it is almost impossible to not feel better about yourself.

What I'm saying..is go through the motions of someone who is not depressed. Change your behavior and maybe the feelings will follow.

As for the weight loss? Coming here and getting advice on how to stay on track and others tricks to feeling more full on less food is good... just mimic what the successful people on the forum do..and you will all of a sudden be one of them.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Depression and weight loss together is a really tough mix you have. But I think you can battle this one with out food. Really focus on your calories, drink water when you are feeling hungry and then every other time, stay away from food.
    Go to the park with the kids, go for a walk, exercise like crazy. These things will keep you occupied and also help with your weight loss. The hungrier you are the more you exercise, and then you will keep losing weight.
    Stay away from food in general and tell yourself the kitchen is forbidden between meal times, even if the dishes are stacked to the ceiling. YOU are more important than dishes.
    If you exercise, then you won't feel too guilty about the food you eat because you exercise for it.
  • nataliemorpurgo
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel... I have been on so many diets that it just makes my head spin thinking about them. I too always feel hungry, feel depressed and cry when looking at my body. I find loosing weight very difficult because I have a disease called PCOS (polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and that actually prevents me from loosing the weight I need to lose. Maybe you also have this I would ask your doctor about looking into it. You require a blood test and your doctor will look from some elevations in your hormone levels.
    As for always feeling hungry... have you tried eating small meals but more often throughout the day? I usually eat some yogurt or fresh or slightly frozen fruit (on hot days). I would even try taking in some more fiber by eating more fruits, veggies and fiber cereals.
    I wish you well!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Hungry all time usually stems from the type of foods, or lack of meal planning on your part. However, your diary is locked up so its difficult to give suggestions...

Sometimes that's the cause. Not always. However, I do agree that you should open your food diary so that we can make suggestions.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Sometimes that's the cause. Not always. However, I do agree that you should open your food diary so that we can make suggestions.

Thats why I said "usually" and not all the time
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Thats why I said "usually" and not all the time

Ah. Sorry. I missed that the first time.
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i work a desk job and when it is slow or when I begin to get restless from sitting to long I find the desire to eat as my outlet. I truly think I am hungry, my stomach feels hallow at times, but I know its simply boredom. At first I tried to not keep any unhealthy snack in the office but I found myself just not eating the healthy snacks I packed because they to were boring and would find myself at the reception candy dish instead (I even justified to myself that peanut m n' m's were filling due to the protein in the nuts) when really I was the only nut in that logic. After a year of working at the desk and fighting this problem I have found several snacks that occupy my boredom as well as my feeling of hunger. This may not be the case for you but the act of eating is tightly connected to our mental state, I to have fought depression and my sister/co-worker has clinical depression that she fights every day and we both see a 100% correlation to the consumption of food and how we feel each day. Other then eating I find that if I distract myself from thinking about food it helps, I will take a 5 minute walk around the building, go chat with a co-worker, or check facebook and MFP. Gum & hard candy helps while trying to distract myself as well. It has been really hard, but by cutting out my bad snacks, and decreasing my dinner size i have lost 18lbs. The snacks listed below are a few that work great for me. Ohhh and water water water!!! I know you can do it, GOOD LUCK!!!!!

special K 90 cal bars with water.... they are super filling for hours and I need lots of water to go with them which adds to the time it takes to eat them which helps as well as the feeling of hunger. I think they are really tasty!

low fat yogart with a small spoon.. it's all mental, if I am eating longer I don't feel hungry because in fact I am not hungry

hot chocolate with water rather then milk, mint tea, coffee with none fat milk
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but try eating more vegetables and salads. At least 2 cups of veges for part of your lunch and 2 cups of veges for part of your dinner. Also, try having lots of egg whites on hand, so when you are hungry have some egg whites.
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the egg white idea!!! hard boiled in the fridge would be great

another thing that works is 2 small lunches spaced out rather then 1 big lunch, thinking about it a person who works 9-5:30 will eat breakfast around 8, lunch around 12, then not be able to eat dinner till around 6:30 which is not an equal spacing and makes for a hungry afternoon
  • kclarkss
    Options
    I LOVE the egg white idea!!! hard boiled in the fridge would be great

another thing that works is 2 small lunches spaced out rather then 1 big lunch, thinking about it a person who works 9-5:30 will eat breakfast around 8, lunch around 12, then not be able to eat dinner till around 6:30 which is not an equal spacing and makes for a hungry afternoon

Yes, hard boiled egg whites.
  • kclarkss
    Options
    Also try, Blue Diamond Natural Crackers. I like the Almond Nut-Thins.Have only 10. (box says 16 (130 cal per serving) It helps with the craving for something crunchy and salty.

or

1 serving of Pirate Booty Popcorn and 2 hard boiled egg whites
  • maeld51
    maeld51 Posts: 3,415 Member
    Options
    Years ago i was on anti-depressants (took for 6yrs), went from 130 to180. When I quit taking them the weight slowly started coming down. ( and I felt better in general)
    My weight was a BIG part of why I was on them to begin with,(yo-yo dieting, obsessing over weight, self image etc.). Everyone is different of course, but I think that getting off of all medications that aren't absolutlely nesessary is better. My advice would be don't take the diet pills. Stock up on lots of snacks, just make sure they're not calorie high. Handfull of nuts, keep veggies cleaned and ready to eat, don't obsess over every little detail, just watch the calories and try to keep a balance between protein and carbs.
    P.S. the 130lbs I weighed was about 17yrs ago. Now I'm 51 and 40 lbs up again. Quitting smoking just makes it harder. Counting every single calorie I consume and the weight is steadily coming down. You can do it, just keep at it and don't get discouraged!