UGH PASTA!!!!

Options
MRudman
MRudman Posts: 63 Member
I have done very well all week, no cheats! Now, I am craving some hot, gooey, cheesy, comfort pasta! If I don't give in to this slightly, I will start next week off on a bad note. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that would suffice without breaking the calorie bank?

P.S. I always buy whole wheat/whole grain pasta; just need suggestions for what to put with it.

Thank You!

Replies

• mirandamayhem
    Options
    Have you got some veg so you can at least make a ratatouille to go with it? Or how about making some zuccini pasta and then a cheese sauce on that?
  • MRudman
    Options
    I have broccoli, spinach, and carrots that I could use.
  • kay2nk
    kay2nk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl's Mega Mac and Cheese always curbs my pasta craving. Here's the link:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/hungry-girls-mega-mac-cheese

When I dish mine out, I try to take a ton of cauliflower. My son and husband both love it too!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I have broccoli, spinach, and carrots that I could use.

Have you any soft sort of cheese? Or a cheese sauce, and have it with wilted spinach and pasta? (At least then you had something green with your meal:wink: )
    Otherwise just have what you crave and draw the line. Sometimes you're better off having a small amount of what you crave, because if you try to substitute it it might not work and you'll end up still wanting that food you originally wanted!
  • sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    One of my current favorite meals is Bean Bolognese, and my husband and 2-year old son love it, too. Just click the link to view the recipe:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/bean-bolognese

Instead of one can of salad beans, I usually use two cans of different types of beans, like kidney beans and cannellini beans. The meal is a lot more filling with two cans of beans. I cannot find low sodium beans, but I use a can of diced tomatoes without added salt. I also omit the salt for this recipe. I have not cooked with salt in years. I do not use the Parmesam cheese, but my husband and son love cheese on their pasta. :) Enjoy! :)
  • MRudman
    Options
    Wow, your ideas are all great! Thanks everyone! :smile:
  • CherBear1958
    CherBear1958 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe last night using spaghetti squash and then your favorite topping. I am going to try with pests, veggies, and pine nuts. Of course I got to get the squash first.
  • thinlizzy525
    Options
    Hungry Girl's Mega Mac and Cheese always curbs my pasta craving. Here's the link:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/hungry-girls-mega-mac-cheese

When I dish mine out, I try to take a ton of cauliflower. My son and husband both love it too!

I love that recipe and although the nutritional facts are listed i don't know how big the serving size is? Could you tell me? :) THANKS!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I do 1 cup cooked quinoa, 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan and 1 wedge laughing cow light swiss when those cravings hit me. I used quinoa because it causes the dish to be creamy without having to add milk,cream or butter.
  • kay2nk
    kay2nk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For the megamac and cheese, I think it's a cup. It's in the database, so you will find it!
  • mellimeter
    mellimeter Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Shiritake Noodles or Spaghetti Squash may mimic the pasta for you :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    dreamfields pasta. just don't overcook it!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
  • SBlost
    SBlost Posts: 90
    Options
    bump
    I have pasta cravings all the time, looking for new ideas myself and some of these sound delicious.
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Runner's World Pasta Alfredo is my go-to pasta recipe - I even use this for company, and I get great compliments. I serve it with grilled chicken breast.

Rocco's Fettuccine Alfredo

DiSpirito's latest cookbook, Now Eat This!, transforms heart-stopping dishes like this pasta, traditionally laden with heavy cream, butter, and cheese. Here, he re-creates the sauce's velvety texture with Greek yogurt and chicken broth.

8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
    1 tablespoon butter
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    Pinch of ground nutmeg
    3/4 cup low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
    3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    3/4 cup 5 percent Greek yogurt
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add fettuccine; cook according to package directions.

While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook two minutes.

Combine cornstarch and nutmeg in a small bowl; whisk in chicken broth until smooth. Pour into saute pan, raise the heat, and bring sauce to a simmer, whisking occasionally.

Whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese until melted. Remove pan from heat.
    Whisk in yogurt until smooth.

Toss fettuccine with Alfredo sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Top pasta with remaining cheese. Serves four.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 336
    CARBS: 47 G
    PROTEIN: 18 G
    FAT: 10 G

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-303-504-13456-0,00.html
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Search on here for the laughing cow alfredi pasta. it's a popular one.