good weight at 5'10"

Options

Replies

• careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    I am 5'10" and my GW is 150.

My highest weight was 180 and my lowest was 137 (size 4, looked like I had an eating disorder).

I guess it depends a lot on your body type because I am currently 159 and I still have a lot of extra "baggage".
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    I'm 6'0" and my ideal weight is 150. I'm female, BTW............ so that might change things.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 6' (5'11.6" on doctors scales) with a big frame.
    Am at 177lb at the moment. While my large rib cage means my belly goes in underneath it, there's still a chunk of wobbly belly left :(.

Scales say 15.9% body fat. Reasonable strength as I've always been naturally strong.

So for a small frame at 5'10", 155 doesn't seem too far out.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Again, this is the problem with weight... I'd focus more on decreasing your % body fat over the short term and increasing your total lean body mass over the long term.

You can be 155 pounds, 5'10", and have 30% body fat. Not good. Or you could be the same height and weight with 10% body fat, etc.

Also, you'd probably be surprised just how shedding fat can improve one's physique. Brad Pitt was 155 lbs and 6 feet tall in Fight Club, for example.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10'' and I weighed 150 last year after losing 30 pounds. That is my goal again..as I am at 175 right now. But have to say..I did see a photo of myself last year..and I wonder if I was just a bit too thin.
  • btkkterry
    btkkterry Posts: 183
    Options
    A guy at 155lbs at 5'10" sounds light to me. I'm a woman, 5'8" at 158 with about 18% body fat. My goal is 155lbs.

But it depends on your frame. Maybe see how you look at 165 and go from there?

Good luck, and work hard!
    I need to find out what my bf% is
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Again, this is the problem with weight... I'd focus more on decreasing your % body fat over the short term and increasing your total lean body mass over the long term.

You can be 155 pounds, 5'10", and have 30% body fat. Not good. Or you could be the same height and weight with 10% body fat, etc.

Also, you'd probably be surprised just how shedding fat can improve one's physique. Brad Pitt was 155 lbs and 6 feet tall in Fight Club, for example.

My 13 year old son is 5'10" and weights 145. He is not too thin and could use some more muscle.

It depends on your muscle mass more than anything, as others have said. My eldest is 6'2" and 135 and muscles but too thin right now.
  • Libb3C
    Libb3C Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    oops sorry didn't see you were male!
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't think 155 is out of the question--I think at 155, unless I start lifting, I will still be kind of fat. But I have a high body fat percentage and very low muscle mass percentage.
  • StephEwell
    StephEwell Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 at 158 and I know i could be skinnier, but i would look extremely thin. It depends on what your weight consists of, but I think a lot of mine is muscle, so weighing much less wouldn't look too flattering on me. Just focus on getting to a weight that you're comfortable with, and decide as you go. I think I was originally shooting for around 145 but i know I'm not going that low after getting to this point. I'm looking to tone and maintain! :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm 148 at 5'11, so I don't think it's too low. I've ranged between 145-190 in my adult life and 155-160 seems to be my prime weight. I just went a bit lower than I wanted to after hitting maintainance. I have a medium/large body frame and am 33 years old.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' ad currently weigh 163. My goal is 155. I do not look thin at 163. I'm wearing a size 11/12 jeans. I'm beginning lifting, and i know my body comp. will change, so we'll see what the scale does. I'm not terribly concerned with the scale, and it's secondary to how i feel and look and how clothes fit me, but i think 155 will look good.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    155 is great for a 5'10 woman. That's how tall I am and my goal weight is 145. But since you are a guy I would say that is a little low. My husband is 5'11 and he is 200lbs and very fit.
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 11 1/2" inches tall and would love to be lean and mean at 155. I had been as low as 164 and thought I had a little work still to do. Some said I was too thin.
  • sweetie_pi88
    sweetie_pi88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I'm shooting for 165. When I was previously at that weight I was a size 12/14. That weight fit best with my frame.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    We're the same height and I'm shooting for an ultimate goal of 180. Honestly, I think anything in the 150's is too low for a guy, unless you have a super small frame. Even then, you'd need to build muscle to avoid looking like a limp noodle.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    That's another thing: if you have a lot of muscle, you are going to look fine at up to whatever weight, honestly. A lot of guys have more muscle than I do, so when they hear that I think I should shoot for 155 or below, they think I'm crazy....
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    5'9 165 here. Seems to be good for me to maintain. Doc didnt give me guidlines just said lose weight.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm around 170...give or take 2 lbs...right now it's GIVE...dammit. ANYway, I'm looking to get to about 155 or so and see how I feel. I'm 5'11'' and can wrap my fingers around my wrist, so I guess that means I have a small frame. I have muscles on my legs and arms...so I'm hoping that at 155 I'll be a size 6 or loose 8 which would be fine with me! :D
  • thinbride0004
    thinbride0004 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'10 and currently I am 195. My goal weight is 155. There was a thread on here a while ago where women who were 5'10 or above posted their pictures at their goal weight and it was so eye opening for me. Some women looked awesome at 190, but other were like me, I am never going to be 190 pounds and healthy. Right now I can't run any significant amount and I am between a size 14 and 16, which, for me is bigger than I feel comfortable at.

I chose 155 as my goal weight because I know that when I was that weight a couple of years ago I was healthy. I could bike to work (about 3 miles with hills). I also ran 2-3 miles a day about 3-4 days a week. I was also between a size 6and 8 which to me was where I was comfortable.

So to answer your question, no 155 is not too low, for someone who is 5 10 but it really depends on your body. My advice would be if you need a number to set as a goal weight try to reach 155 since that is what your doctor reccomended. But you should also set a goal to be healthy and feel better. If you feel really healthy and can accomplish your fitness goals at a higher weight than 155 GREAT! It's more about being healthy than reaching a specific number in my opinion. I hope that this helps! Good luck. If you want feel free to add me.