Please help! Gaining weight!!!!

Options
Hi,

I've been dieting for about 2 months now and I've gained almost 6kg. I started at 68kg and now am 74kg. I eat a net calorie amount of 1000 and exercise every day. I do pole dancing for fitness for at least an hour most days and participate in flexibility, conditioning or strength classes on the days I don't do pole. I walk at least 40 minutes most days, if not more. I rarely have take away food - in fact for the most part I try to eat as little dairy and egg products as possible (personal beliefs) and am vegetarian. I've never had trouble losing weight before. I don't look bigger, if anything I look smaller. But I just don't think 6kg of purely muscle gain is possible in 2 months and I'm feeling really unmotivated.

I really hope one of you know what's going on because I have no idea. :(

Replies

• jshinoff
    jshinoff Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The most likely reason is that your estimations of caloric intake and burn are quite off. In order to succeed you need to be absolutely accurate with caloric intake (include ALL intake and be accurate about the amounts) as well as your caloric burn. Eating and drinking items you can most easily measure would make recording intake more accurate and using an activity monitor such as a NIke Fuel Band would help a lot with recording caloric burn.
  • thecloud6
    Options
    I wonder if you are eating enough calories? What does MFP recommend for you, calorie wise? I know your body can and will go into "starvation" mode if you aren't eating enough calories, holding onto any weight it can.
  • SaphyBelle
    SaphyBelle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I generally am pretty accurate with food intake (as bad as it is, most of my foods come in packets and I can easily scan them into my diary). Pole dancing, I could be off on calories burnt but even then with my BMR, I should still be losing weight. I doubt I'm eating to few calories. There are days when I eat as much as 1800 when I'm doing around 3 hours of exercise.

I think it recommended about 1200 net.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What's your sodium and water intake like? When I start holding onto water, my weight skyrockets as much as 8-10 pounds. I always recommend consuming at least 1200-1500 calories a day, which it sounds like you're doing. Honestly - you could be overtraining causing your muscles to swell up with fluid. You need off days where you won't be doing pole or fitness/strength classes.
  • Iseeprogress
    Options
    Also, check with your doctor to see if you have an underactive Thyroid (Hypothyrodism). Having an underactive thyroid can sometimes lead to weight gain.
  • jshinoff
    jshinoff Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you are certain that you aren't missing calories in your diet (like from drinking) I would recommend setting your activity level to sedentary and using an activity monitor or device with a heart rate monitor that estimates caloric burn to correctly estimate caloric burn. If you're using the calculators here to estimate caloric burn they are likely reading much too high. If these measures have no impact then lower your caloric intake 5-10% for 2-3 weeks and see if that makes an impact. It is possible your BMR estimate is too high.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    It still amazes me that posters want advice about their food plan but don't have an open diary so experienced people can take a look and make recommendations that might be useful. It is equally amazing that people respond with all sorts of guesses without having any idea of what the OP eats.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    It still amazes me that posters want advice about their food plan but don't have an open diary so experienced people can take a look and make recommendations that might be useful. It is equally amazing that people respond with all sorts of guesses without having any idea of what the OP eats.

Well its OP's choice.. and btw, she has two posts. She may not know how to navigate the site all that well yet. Geez.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been dieting for about 2 months now and I've gained almost 6kg. I started at 68kg and now am 74kg. I eat a net calorie amount of 1000 and exercise every day. I do pole dancing for fitness for at least an hour most days and participate in flexibility, conditioning or strength classes on the days I don't do pole. I walk at least 40 minutes most days, if not more. I rarely have take away food - in fact for the most part I try to eat as little dairy and egg products as possible (personal beliefs) and am vegetarian. I've never had trouble losing weight before. I don't look bigger, if anything I look smaller. But I just don't think 6kg of purely muscle gain is possible in 2 months and I'm feeling really unmotivated.

I really hope one of you know what's going on because I have no idea. :(
    It's possible to put on that much muscle on in two months if you look smaller.. have you been doing strength training? Since I have started doing strength training and cardio, I've become much smaller but the scale hasn't changed much. I took measurements so I know that I've lost over 10 inches (and thats what matters to me).

Are you keeping track of your measurements?
  • craftykat12
    craftykat12 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you have to eat at least 1200 cal a day, if you don't you will not lose weight, my Doctor has told me that for years, when I did what she said and began to eat more cals, I started losing weight. I have now loss 55lb. eating 1350 cals a day.
  • SaphyBelle
    Options
    Sorry, I thought my diary was already public. It's public now.

I do strength training apart from pole, and pole dancing is pretty much strength training as well.

I dont track my water consumption on here but I drink about 5-6 cups of water a day so it could possibly be that.

I really drink nothing except water and occasionally treat myself to coke zero so it can't be hidden calories in drinks.

I will have to check with my doctor because this isn't making sense to me.
  • SaphyBelle
    Options
    I generally am pretty accurate with food intake (as bad as it is, most of my foods come in packets and I can easily scan them into my diary). Pole dancing, I could be off on calories burnt but even then with my BMR, I should still be losing weight. I doubt I'm eating to few calories. There are days when I eat as much as 1800 when I'm doing around 3 hours of exercise.

I think it recommended about 1200 net.

My sodium occasionally goes over by about 500 maybe once a week. Otherwise it seems to be under most days.

Water: 4-6 cups a day
  • SaphyBelle
    Options
    you have to eat at least 1200 cal a day, if you don't you will not lose weight, my Doctor has told me that for years, when I did what she said and began to eat more cals, I started losing weight. I have now loss 55lb. eating 1350 cals a day.

This is very hard for me as I was already eating 1500-1800 prior to my diet. 1200 net seems a bit too much for me. However, most days I will eat over1200 all together, it will just be a lot lower in net calorie intake.
    I've also always been told that 1000 to 1500 is okay for diets. Anything below 1000 is bad.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    After reading all the posts, I would double your water and get your NET calories up to 1200 calories.