Ditching bread?

Options
I've heard that if you ditch bread all together you'll see more progress in your weight loss, is this true?
Thanks.

Replies

• iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ditching bread alone wont help you lose weight, no.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Depends...... count the calories.
    For me, cutting down on bread helps me meet my goals...
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    For me personally it has been true. I dropped bread and pasta and lost a lot of my weight quickly.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Nah but if you switch from white to whole grain and fiber rich breads it can be helpful.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I bet its true. I did no flour, no sugar and lost at a good rate. Too bad I didnt stick with it.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I had to give up all starches, Bread, Pasta, Potatoes, Rice. This was for weight loss and for blood sugars...it's working for me...is hard tonight we're having Shirataki Noodles with Meatballs and Spaghetti Sauce which traditionally I'd have a ton of garlic bread. Not this time...
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    If you count it in your calories you dont have to ditch anything.
    For some people cutting out carbs works for them, but that doesnt mean that it will work for everyone.
    I have not ditched much of anything and have lost quite a bit of weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you ditch bread all together you'll see more progress in your weight loss, is this true?
    Thanks.

Not unless you have a specific intolerance that would require you to limit bread
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Not that easy. By dropping bread and pasta it cut out the two foods I ate way too much of so it helped a lot. If it helps you change your diet good luck.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on how much bread you ate to start with, and if you could limit yourself or if you ended up bingeing on it.
    I tended to get hooked on marmite on toast before bed if I had regular bread in my home, so I now just have the sprouted grain and the occasional sandwich while out, but I have yet to feel a need to cut it entirely.
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I lost like, 30 lbs when I went gluten free.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It helped me, and it wasn't just about dropping calorie intake because I've been tracking them throughout.

I don't think that grains, whole or otherwise, are not great for me anyway (and I do not have a diagnosed gluten intolerance or anything like that) so it's not all about the blubber slashing ;)

Have a read of "Wheat Belly" and see what you think, food for thought (literally) ...

Sure, sometimes I have some garlic bread if I fancy it, occasionally, but grains are not the basis of my day and never will be.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd say just limit it. My opinion anyways. And when you do eat bread, pick a healthier version like a multi grain that doesn't add high fructose corn syrup. I mean, the atkins diet is basically no bread, no carbs, but I have heard people that did that diet, the second they started introducing carbs back gained all the weight back. So just be smart, get a healthier version, eat it less, and that should help.
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A lot of people swear by ditching all grains and cereals. Paleo dieters would add legumes and even some seeds to that list.

Find what works best for you - try to keep all things in the diet/exercise consistent and change out the carbs, see the effect.

I have dialed in my macronutrient intake and I now eat grains, processed carbs, and a lot of sugar with very little impact on bf and overall health.

Experiment, track and refine. It is not rocket science.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I've heard that cutting out bread helps some with weight loss, but I didn't do that. I just switched to Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat bread. It's only 150 calories for 2 slices, so it tastes good and it's not too high on calories.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid most bread because it hinders me from staying within goal (and from getting my daily bowl of ice cream - I take ice cream over bread any day) But cutting it out won't necessarily make you lose faster.
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    I've heard that cutting out bread helps some with weight loss, but I didn't do that. I just switched to Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat bread. It's only 150 calories for 2 slices, so it tastes good and it's not too high on calories.
    the healthy life whole wheat bread is 70 calories for 2 slices, its pretty good
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    A lot of people swear by ditching all grains and cereals. Paleo dieters would add legumes and even some seeds to that list.

Find what works best for you - try to keep all things in the diet/exercise consistent and change out the carbs, see the effect.

I have dialed in my macronutrient intake and I now eat grains, processed carbs, and a lot of sugar with very little impact on bf and overall health.

Experiment, track and refine. It is not rocket science.

This
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    It depends on what you replace it with.

I have to be wheat and gluten free. Don't do it and go buy substitutes. Either give it up and replace it with something healthy or just cut back. Everyone is different.

If you are just looking to cut back go ahead and check out some recipes.

I eat my sandwiches in the form of a wrap. I use romaine lettuce. Make some small changes like that if you just want to cut out some calories or whatever.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Ditching grains not only helped me lose the pounds but also made a big difference in how I felt in other ways. Read my profile for more.

Bread is lots of calories with little nutritional return; try fiber from sweet potatoes instead of bagels or oatmeal, for instance.