Shin splints - ouch!

Options
Over the past month or so I've bumped up my exercise time and intensity. I usually do between 65 and 80 minutes of cardio with weights 6 days a week. I do a lot of HIIT as well and speed walk for about an hour earlier in the day.

The past week I noticed shin splints. They hurt during exercise, after and sometimes when I'm just sitting and doing nothing (like right now).

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with these?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Rest.
    Check shoes.
    Rest some more.
    Build back up more gently.
  • cortexx
    cortexx Posts: 15
    Options
    You might also be running incorrectly. Maybe do some research into proper running form.

There are so many factors that can cause these.. and in my experience everyone is different, and they are hard to fix!

I think you just need to take it easy until your body can catch up. But it's risky because running fitness is lost very quick!

Wish I could help more, but I get them myself and I've tried everything with not much luck.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    An exercise a cross country coach told my friend to do in order to avoid getting them was to draw the entire alphabet on the ground with your toe. Once lower case, once upper case. Do it every day.

I'm not sure if it works because I've never bothered to do it myself, but I can vouch for my friend never getting shin splints during her entire time doing cross country.
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    rest and ice, is what works for me
    good luck to ya
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    They'll subside if you keep at it. Might not be the best advice or way, but I just pushed through mine. Took a couple weeks, but it got better for me.
  • hcoulson1
    hcoulson1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pointing your toes downward and then back up will help as well as icing hope they go away soon not fun! x(
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Glad I'm not alone in suffering with them, though I'm sorry some of you do too!
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I used to get them during basketball season. Ice really helps!
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Growtinymusclesgrow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The reason we get shin splints is for a couple of reasons. First, we are over training and second, there is a substantial difference in the strength of your calf muscle and the Tibialis Anterior. I have a good exercise that will help.

Sit in a chair, place your foot on top of the other other one and and lift with your toes. Switch feet and do again. Also, when doing leg presses, at the top of your press, press further with your toes and that will work that muscle as well.