I'm afraid to update my weight!

Options
I've been working at losing weight and being more healthy for a while now. I'd lost around 20 pounds before joining MFP not even a week ago. I'd be really good all during the work week and relax my eating on the weekend. It seemed like I gained back in those two days all the weight I'd lost during the week.

I was not binge eating or anything of that sort. But I was eating more than usual. And I'd have at least one meal that was really, really bad for me (like a pizza).

Anyway, since I feel SO accountable using MFP, I haven't splurged as much this weekend. Also, my husband and I bought new bicycles yesterday and rode 5 miles yesterday and 7 miles today. For us, that's epic. While we usuually work out most nights of the work week, we don't usually do much on weekends.

So...last week I seemed to lose around two pounds. Not bad...right on track (weighed myself on Friday). Today, I seem to be down an additional 9 pounds. I'm assuming it's water weight that I sweated out exercising. I loved seeing that change on the scale, but I don't trust it. I'm afraid to update my weight in case it shoots back up tomorrow!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Own the 9 lbs and use it to keep you accountable moving forward. You deserve to record it.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Why not just pick one day and time per week to weigh in (Example- I weigh every Sunday morning as soon as I wake up)

You can weigh other times, but only record this one day, even if you see a gain.

That's what I do, Or you could take your numbers from each day for 7 days and find the average...
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    Even if you do record it, and then you are up say 7 pounds tomorrow, then that'll still count for a 2 pound weight loss! I think it's good to keep track just for data purposes so that you can identify trends of when you weigh more or less.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Why not just pick one day and time per week to weigh in (Example- I weigh every Sunday morning as soon as I wake up)

You can weigh other times, but only record this one day, even if you see a gain

this^
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Good, bad or equal whatever my weight is on Friday morning I log it. Even if I was up 2 pounds on Thursday, even if I was down 2 pounds on Thursday - even if every other day that week it was something different, whatever it says Friday morning goes in the log.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Good, bad or equal whatever my weight is on Friday morning I log it. Even if I was up 2 pounds on Thursday, even if I was down 2 pounds on Thursday - even if every other day that week it was something different, whatever it says Friday morning goes in the log.

I keep an eye on my weight every day but I only record on sundays, I can be down 3 lbs and only lose 1 lb by the end of the week, it all evens out by weigh in day.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh in everyday. You'll just get discouraged.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I used to log only my lowest weights (which worked for me since I don't cheat, so the scale only has one direction to go), but I still doubt my scale. What I started doing mid July was to record every day's weight in a pocket calendar. If it stays steady or decreases after a few days, I know my scale didn't weigh a fluke and then record it in MFP.

This won't work if you'll start weighing yourself obsessively. I weigh myself multiple times a day because I like to see how my weight fluctuates. I'm a walking science experiment!

An added bonus is that I'll make a cool line graph of daily weights once I reach my goal. Yea, it might be spiky due to fluctuations, but it's something I'm looking forward to :)
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    Personally, I log everytime I see a low. Keeps me motivated.
  • rachael52
    rachael52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do what someone else said. You can weigh yourself when you want to, but I find that recording it once a week is a good way to get a realistic snapshot or at any rate it's better than recording whenever the scale is smiling on you.

Great about that bike ride though!

Hang in there, this MFP thing is working well for me. It's working well for a lot of people. I try not to have those relaxed-food days, but we all have days we regret. Each day we start over.

Good luck.
  • amrita0286
    Options
    I need to personally stop weighing myself everyday.. I can't help it and it doesn't help that the scale is under the sink in the bathroom..
    It is discouraging sometimes when the weight has gone up by a bit or hasn't moved at all.

Try keeping a single day and time each week and only check your weight then. I also have to follow this advice myself.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual for women to see fluctuations of 3-6 pounds in the few days before their periods, either. I don't know if that's a factor here, but that might have some influence over what you see on the scale. As you log your weight daily, you'll get used to your body's own rhythms. The first few months I used MFP I would freak out to see myself put on three to five pounds during days when I was doing everything "right," but eventually I noticed those pounds *always* disappeared a couple of days after my period - it was like clockwork. I suggest being diligent about logging so that over time you'll figure out your body's own quirks and schedule.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Let us see your diary honey so we can know what you are eating and how much. Then we can give you our opinions on what the cause of it might be. It can be a number of things and sometimes, your scales can be shot!! People here are glad to help but we need to be able to see your logging. Another thing could be you are not eating enough according to how much you exercise. Yes, people here(many)lose weight and they actually eat more calories because of their activity level:)

Hang in there and read what people have to say with an open-mind, and then you can chose for yourself what is healthiest for you to try. We can get you on that track where you can lose fat, gain muscle or at least maintain and feel like a million:) You can feel like a million long before you reach your weight goal, I have:)

Denise
  • sark1971
    sark1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You should only record your weight 1X per week and if possible at the same time each week.

Congrats on the loss so far!
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks for all the info!

I think I'll log the 2 lbs I'm pretty confident of from Friday and try to avoid the scale until next Friday. That way, if the other weight is still off, I'll get to count it then!
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    YAY YOU! AND CONGRATS ON A JOB WELL DONE (getting and riding that bike!!)
  • desirae1976
    desirae1976 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Personally, I log everytime I see a low. Keeps me motivated.

I do this too. It gives my next goal to shoot for. For example, today I weighed a new low of 174.6 pounds. So, my new goal is to get anything below this.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You should only record your weight 1X per week and if possible at the same time each week.

I think this varies person-to-person. I've been doing it daily for a year, even now that I'm at goal. I do shoot for the same time every day.
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    i weigh myself every morning after i pee. i keep that number in my head, and if the next day is lower, that's my "new" number. if its not, and i was under or at my calories the day before, i keep that same number. i record once weekly, on monday mornings. just so i can have a "graph" of my weight loss.

you will find a rythym that works for you. i used to be crazy about the scale, weighing every time i went in the bathroom, and then i went to just once a week, which was also frustrating because it may not have been as low as i wanted. weighing once a day works for me. i am able to see how and what i ate affected my weight.... and seeing those numbers fall off, even by the 10ths is awesome.
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Thaaaaat's me! (amanda bynes voice :laugh:)