Boss sucks at privacy

Options
Dawnhasajeep
Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
How Do I nicely tell my boss that when I am out sick she does not need to E mail the whole company what my illness is. She just simply let them know I am out and to send work to my co worker. This is not the first time this has happened. It is really pissing me off.

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something to take up with the HR department.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ugh - I HATE people who do that! I hear my co-workers telling callers everyone's business too! Just say they are out and move on! Do you have to tell your boss your illness? If she doesn't know the details she can't blab....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something to take up with the HR department.

This.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Why do you give the reason? Just say you're sick. Its none of anyones business. My husband is rarely ill but when he calls in he says he is taking a sick day. That is all.
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That is a violation and needs to be reported to HR.
  • shannond1980
    shannond1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you're calling in sick maybe keep the details from your boss to start with by re-phrasing your reason for not being able to come in. "Under the weather", "Personal matter to attend to", "Family matter to attend to".

Or just be straight up and have a chat with them, "I'd like to respectfully ask that the specific details of my out of office days be kept between us, I noticed that you happened to include some personal details such as x,y,z in your last note to staff about my last absence and it made me a little uncomfortable as I like to keep my private life and work life separate to keep things professional, blah blah" something like that.

If it doesn't change after verbally making the request, then make it to them in writing, if you still don't get anywhere, then take it to HR. Especially if they aren't doing that for anyone else's absences. Just my $0.02
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options

^^^^ this ^^^^^^
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Just say "I really dont feel it's necessary you tell the entire office why I'm out. Please be discreet, as it is no one else's business." Then, if it continues, say something to HR or whoever the grievance person is in your office.

To be honest, our office used to do that (put the reason why someone is out). Now, whoever takes the call informs the management staff in our office and they, in turn, send out a general email to the staff - so and so won't be in today.

Several years ago, one of my coworkers called in to say she would be late because she had to beat her daughter for misbehaving. The other coworker who took the call put ALL of that info in the email. smh
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we don't have a HR department. She is kind of it. I told a coworker who told her. Next time no one will know.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we don't have a HR department. She is kind of it. I told a coworker who told her. Next time no one will know.

Did you ask the coworker why she told the manager all your business? I would definitely make mention of it to her too.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    How Do I nicely tell my boss that when I am out sick she does not need to E mail the whole company what my illness is. She just simply let them know I am out and to send work to my co worker. This is not the first time this has happened. It is really pissing me off.

Ugh that's a huge issue... big no no. She could cause a big scare and make all the employees freak out and get tested for something or other. Especially if it's nasty stuff like mono or other problems.

I do the scheduling for my group and I found this out pretty quickly... thankfully nothing bad came of it but I blabbed that a employee was out for the risk of having mono. He was VERY open about it so I was under the assumption it doesn't matter but my boss says, "HEY! NO TALKIE!" lol. It's a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad thing to go out and tell everyone. It's best to say someone is out.

Also the other end needs to be quiet about it too. When you call in sick PLEASE don't tell everyone why. LOL. You are "SICK" not "I have a stomach ache, the runs, a soar throat, me and my husband had a fight, the kids are sick, " blah blah blah. Nobody wants to know! There's a reason why we get sick days. haha
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    To go along with that, I also hate when people feel the need to share "he is out of state, out of the country, traveling, or whatever".

Might as well send out written invitations for burglars to come rob the house.

If you are out, you are simply out of the office. No one needs to know where.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Tell her to review HIPAA. What she's doing is illegal.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Id from now on say you're sick and that's it. My husband took a sick day when we came back from vacation because we didn;t get home until 2am and he was supposed to get up at 5 to go in so he simply said he was taking a sick day and left it at that. He was too tired from driving 19hrs and gettting in late.
  • yadutwum
    Options
    Write her up, its unprofessional
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Next time, just call in and say "I'm taking a PTO day." I used to be a supervisor/manager, and really, that's all I needed to know. I had one lady who would leave the most gawd-awful, long-winded messages with pauses, moans, sniffs, sighs, etc. It was torture having to listen to her messages. It finally got to where, once I heard the words "I won't be in today" I'd cut the message off. I don't care why you won't be in, I just do need to know that you won't be in. If I were you, I'd say only what you need to say, which should be "I won't be in today." Or maybe add that you're not feeling well. That should be enough.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Tell her to review HIPAA. What she's doing is illegal.

This!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

^^^^ this ^^^^^^

Yup. He/she should know better than to do that.