RE: Fat % of Daily Calories

Options
Hi everyone. I've been doing MFP for about two months and have been doing the P90X challenge. I've lost about 15 lbs and some inches...so you could say I've had success.

My question though, I find it tough to be around my calories without going over on either fat or carbs. I think I'm set at 20 % fat and 40% carb and 40% protein. My daily goal for calories is 1700 and I aim at eating some of my exercise calories if I'm hungry. If you check my diary, I've had a few BAD days and I'll admit it. I also allow myself a serving of dark chocolate m/ms the past week each night...I know not good, but let's just say it's that TOM. LOL!

I'm speaking that I go over on "fat" and carbs when I'm even making SMART choices. Is that bad, say if I'm eating peanut butter or 14 almonds, or any "good fats"...in a reasonable serving that is?

I want to keep having results whether its a weight loss on the scale or an inch or 2 here or there.

Thanks for your comments!

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Good fat, especially Omega 3, will actually help you lose weight.

Fat being 20-30% of your daily caloric goal is a good place to be, with 25% being ideal. Of that, you want none of it to be trans and as little as possible to be saturated.

I've come to feel that the macronutrient ratio is almost as important as the calorie count itself. On an ideal day I aim for 55% protein, 25% fat, and the rest leftover for carbs.

Unlike protein and good fat, you do need to eat carbs to live, and while good carbs have some value, I make it one of my primary goals to cut them as much as possible. Personally I would rather go over on fat than carbs, assuming the fat was good fat.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just never see how its possible eating that much 1700 calories without going over on fat and carbs when they're so low...if that makes sense.

I had the bad fat today...of course go figure.

I'm not throwing the towel in though.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My fat % is set to 50% and let me tell you ... good, healthy fat does not make you fat.

You have any idea how hard it is to lose weight when in your 50s? Well, I lost it and kept it off over a year now ... 50% of my diet is healthy fats. Read my profile. No corn oil, no canola oul, no sunflower oil, no safflower oil ... just omega 3 mostly and some olive oil or avocado oil for salad dressings. Coconut oil & ghee for cooking; lean meat for animal fats.

What makes one fat is eating empty calories like bread, soy anything, and dairy (which gives me acne personally).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am at 1750 calories and doing 45/25/30 and keep going over on fat. If I watch my fat to stay under, then I go over on carbs.

I decided that until I hit my goal weight, I am only going to worry about getting *enough* nutrients while in a caloric deficit. Protein is the only thing I worry about hitting my macro on because it's the hardest for me to do.
  • jshort152
    Options
    I'd recommend that your macros follow 35% fat and 30% protein for now just because a higher fat diet helps oxidize fat stores as well and keeps you feeling more full. And unless your getting into bodybuilding anytime soon 30% protein is plenty for your goals so far, the rest can be used for carbs, but make sure your carbs keep you full for longer, so rice is always good! Hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • jshort152
    Options
    Your body can do with low amounts of carbs to pretty much no carb.. cavemen didnt eat rice or oats..
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi! A really common ratio is 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% Fat. This is the ratio I use and I feel like it's working for me wonderfully as far as reaching my calories and not going too far under or over in the other nutrients!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Your body can do with low amounts of carbs to pretty much no carb.. cavemen didnt eat rice or oats..
    Cavemen ate around 50% carbs. Fat oxidation is most efficient when it has glucose to kick start the cycle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Its best to calculate your fat target based on g per body weight and then back into that amount based on your calorie target. I set mine at 0.35g per lb of body weight. Take that and multiply by 9 (to get total calories for that amount of fat) and work out what percentage that is of your calorie target. As MFP will only let you set your target in 5% increments - pick the nearest one. You can use this as a minimum - if you go over that is fine as long as you are getting a good balance in you diet, the difference comes out of carbs.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    65% fat here ... <backs out quietly>
  • faithchange
    Options
    You totally lost me here!
  • faithchange
    Options
    Its best to calculate your fat target based on g per body weight and then back into that amount based on your calorie target. I set mine at 0.35g per lb of body weight. Take that and multiply by 9 (to get total calories for that amount of fat) and work out what percentage that is of your calorie target. As MFP will only let you set your target in 5% increments - pick the nearest one. You can use this as a minimum - if you go over that is fine as long as you are getting a good balance in you diet, the difference comes out of carbs.

Lost me here!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Lost me here!

Using an example. Lets say you are 150lb and your total calorie target is 2,000. That would be 0.35g x 150 (body weight) = 52.5g. As fat has 9 calories per gram, that 53g would give you 473 calories. If your total calorie target is 2,000, 473 calories is 24%. So, as MFP only does 5% increments, you would set your fat target at 25% in the goals section of MFP.

Hope this clarifies things.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm between 40%-45% fat.

Avocados, eggs, nuts, coconut, olive oil, animal fats.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of a read but this is a great link to help you pinpoint your macros.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&page=1
  • moonfire628
    Options
    I'm between 40%-45% fat.

Avocados, eggs, nuts, coconut, olive oil, animal fats.

I'm at that much as well. I try to eat fish most nights but when I have something vegetarian or chicken I supplement my fat with nuts, eggs, and olive oil. I can't afford avocados every week, but I sure wish I could!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cavemen ate around 50% carbs. Fat oxidation is most efficient when it has glucose to kick start the cycle.

I'm not a caveman. I'm a highly evolved, twenty-first century woman! :smokin:
  • faithchange
    Options
    Yah. I love eating salmon and that has a lot of fat, good fat of course, but I thought...Gee! I sure do and will always go over on fat if I eat it. So, now its ok, right?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yah. I love eating salmon and that has a lot of fat, good fat of course, but I thought...Gee! I sure do and will always go over on fat if I eat it. So, now its ok, right?

Totally fine.
  • faithchange
    Options

Lost me here!

Using an example. Lets say you are 150lb and your total calorie target is 2,000. That would be 0.35g x 150 (body weight) = 52.5g. As fat has 9 calories per gram, that 53g would give you 473 calories. If your total calorie target is 2,000, 473 calories is 24%. So, as MFP only does 5% increments, you would set your fat target at 25% in the goals section of MFP.

Hope this clarifies things.

OK. I'm 172 (when not having huge water weight gain). My calorie target is 1700. So, is it .35 g x 172 = 60.2 g. x 9 = 542. 542 calories is 32 %. Hmmm?! Not bad. I think I followed someone else on here with 35%, so I may stay or go down to 30%. Thanks!