Whey Protein Powder

Options
Question, I just started both MFP & I've been working out for a week (walking, c25k, 30 day shred) I have lost 3 pounds in 1 week. My goal is to lose 21 more pounds. Would you recommend I encorporate Whey Protein Powder in my diet? Or would that make me gain weight?!?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You will only gain weight if you go over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). 1 pound = 3500 calories, so to gain a pound in a week, you would have to go over your TDEE by 500 calories a day.

No food is going to make you gain weight as long as you are meeting your calorie goal.

Protein powder is a good way to get a high amount of protein before/after a workout. I like to drink a protein shake (mixed with milk) before or after spin class or a long run. My body uses the protein to help repair my muscles. However, you can simply eat protein (chicken, beef, beans, dairy, etc) instead of using a protein shake. It's just personal preference.
  • midnight333
    Options
    Anyone if reading know of a protein powder with less cholestrol mg per serving. I'm currently drinking Pure Protein mixed with water at 80mg. My next choice is Body Fortress that's at 50mg already bought. Is there anything out there that anyone knows about. I'm not interested in gaining muscle mass just needed for supplemental protein to help with my weight loss? If so thank you in advance for posting.
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    You will only gain weight if you go over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). 1 pound = 3500 calories, so to gain a pound in a week, you would have to go over your TDEE by 500 calories a day.

No food is going to make you gain weight as long as you are meeting your calorie goal.

Protein powder is a good way to get a high amount of protein before/after a workout. I like to drink a protein shake (mixed with milk) before or after spin class or a long run. My body uses the protein to help repair my muscles. However, you can simply eat protein (chicken, beef, beans, dairy, etc) instead of using a protein shake. It's just personal preference.

Ok, I have tried to understand the TDEE thing, and I must be really dumb cause It's like reading Chinese for me. I don't get it. So I googled TDEE & came up with a TDEE Calculator. Based on my input my TDEE is 2447. What that means beats me, lol. Is it that as long as I stay within 2447 daily calories I should be fine drinking Whey Protein & not gain weight?!

Like I said, I don't get it, lol
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options

Ok, I have tried to understand the TDEE thing, and I must be really dumb cause It's like reading Chinese for me. I don't get it. So I googled TDEE & came up with a TDEE Calculator. Based on my input my TDEE is 2447. What that means beats me, lol. Is it that as long as I stay within 2447 daily calories I should be fine drinking Whey Protein & not gain weight?!

Like I said, I don't get it, lol

TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. It's the approximate amount of calories your body burns per day based on the amount of activity you do. So yes, you should not gain weight unless you eat more than 2447 calories.
  • Caroline244
    Caroline244 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I sought help from a personal trainer and he helped me with my diet. He told me to use Whey protein to help repair my muscles after lifting and the increased protein will keep you fuller longer. I use the Gold Standard brand and toss some powder into a morning smoothie to get both the protein and my breakfast (fruit, yogurt, milk, and sometimes powdered rolled oats) all in one. It won't make you gain weight; it'll just help overall...