Iodine Supplementation

Options
Hi.

Is anyone out there taking iodine. If so, how much? Is anyone taking more than the RDA of 150mcg? Are you experiencing any issues?

I am curious about this because I have a goiter, and I am in a sub-population (vegetarian) that is at risk for iodine deficiency. I am reading lots of differing opinions about iodine supplementation. If you are or have tried it, what was your result? Also, are you taking anything else besides iodine with it? (e.g. Selenium, Magnesium, etc.)

Thanks!

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I use dulse flakes instead of salt with eggs, salads etc. It's a good source of iodine. If you have a goiter, you're in serious need of iodine and maybe add kelp leaves to soups at the very least. You should read up on foods that inhibit the absorption of iodine ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitrogen

Particularly since you're vegetarian, it's important to ensure you not only consume the appropriate nutrients but that they are able to be absorbed. It does no good to eat foods high in iodine if you can't absorb them.

Good luck & take care. Seriously.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Iodine is decently tolerable over the RDI. My mom had goitre but hers was due to iodine deficiency and took no thyroid supplement. Is yours thyroid related?

Since you area vegetarian, I'd suggest kelp and cranberries over any iodine tablets, kelp has tremendous amounts of iodine. As for selenium, you can try Brazil nuts and sunflower seeds, both are decently high in selenium. As for magnesium, some goitre patients already have high magnesium levels, did you have yours checked?

ETA: Or do you mean manganese?
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I use dulse flakes instead of salt with eggs, salads etc. It's a good source of iodine. If you have a goiter, you're in serious need of iodine and maybe add kelp leaves to soups at the very least. You should read up on foods that inhibit the absorption of iodine ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitrogen

Particularly since you're vegetarian, it's important to ensure you not only consume the appropriate nutrients but that they are able to be absorbed. It does no good to eat foods high in iodine if you can't absorb them.

Thanks for the link to the website. I'll read that. My doctor told me that I have non-descript thyroidist and a goiter with nodules that are not changing. My TSH has bounced around from high to almost normal (but still above 2) a few times. I have tested negative to antibodies for Hashi's twice. But according to my doctor, there's no such thing as iodine deficiency in the US because we have iodized salt. I told him I was a vegetarian who uses sea salt, but he still insisted that in the US it was impossible/improbably that I would ever be iodine deficient. Since I was looking up information on goiters and reading more information, I think it's highly probable that I am iodine deficient. So I was looking at Kelp tablets and trying to find out about dosage, and what other people do. I am not on any thyroid medication at this time.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you never eat out and only eat homemade foods, I'd tell him that. I would indicate none of your foods are pre-prepared like soups and stuff as you don't like to do that. If he gets that picture, maybe he'll realize it could be an issue.
  • healthyKYgirl
    Options
    Iodine is decently tolerable over the RDI. My mom had goitre but hers was due to iodine deficiency and took no thyroid supplement. Is yours thyroid related?

Since you area vegetarian, I'd suggest kelp and cranberries over any iodine tablets, kelp has tremendous amounts of iodine. As for selenium, you can try Brazil nuts and sunflower seeds, both are decently high in selenium. As for magnesium, some goitre patients already have high magnesium levels, did you have yours checked?

ETA: Or do you mean manganese?

I had no idea cranberries could be good for this. I was looking at kelp tablets, but then I ran across info about Iodoral, and I am just trying to find out any information I can. I read that magnesium helps the kidneys while taking iodine supplements. I haven't looked at manganese. Is that important? I am just trying to learn as much as I can right now.
  • healthyKYgirl
    Options
    If you never eat out and only eat homemade foods, I'd tell him that. I would indicate none of your foods are pre-prepared like soups and stuff as you don't like to do that. If he gets that picture, maybe he'll realize it could be an issue.

Thanks, I bring up the matter again with him. Maybe he will listen if I say it a few more times.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link to the website. I'll read that. My doctor told me that I have non-descript thyroidist and a goiter with nodules that are not changing. My TSH has bounced around from high to almost normal (but still above 2) a few times. I have tested negative to antibodies for Hashi's twice. But according to my doctor, there's no such thing as iodine deficiency in the US because we have iodized salt. I told him I was a vegetarian who uses sea salt, but he still insisted that in the US it was impossible/improbably that I would ever be iodine deficient. Since I was looking up information on goiters and reading more information, I think it's highly probable that I am iodine deficient. So I was looking at Kelp tablets and trying to find out about dosage, and what other people do. I am not on any thyroid medication at this time.

Your doctor may be complacent about iodine bioavailability in iodized salt but this is variable depending on the individual's diet. To make a blanket conclusion that there's no such thing is sadly misinformed,

Another source for you to read is this http://www.narichmond.com/dietary_iodine.html

If your doctor is not informed, you should be, particularly if your diet is deficient in iodine or eating foods that impede its absorption.
  • healthyKYgirl
    Options

Your doctor may be complacent about iodine bioavailability in iodized salt but this is variable depending on the individual's diet. To make a blanket conclusion that there's no such thing is sadly misinformed,

Another source for you to read is this http://www.narichmond.com/dietary_iodine.html

If your doctor is not informed, you should be, particularly if your diet is deficient in iodine or eating foods that impede its absorption.

Thank you for that link. I am trying to become educated, because I can't except that goiters just happen for no reason at all, which is what he told me - that people just sometimes get them for no reason. That just doesn't make sense to me.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    1. Just for others reading, a goiter can mean either hypothyroid OR hyperthyroid. Iodine supplement = bad for hyperthyroid, so make sure you get properly tested before supplementing (sounds like you already know/suspect you're hypo vs. hyper).

2. Proper thyroid testing includes more than just a TSH test (since TSH is produced by your pituitary gland, and therefore doesn't actually directly test your thyroid). Ask your doctor to perform a free T3 and free T4 test (not total T3/T4), to get the real picture. Many doctors are still using the outdated TSH levels as well (.5 - 5.0) vs. the new levels (.3 - 3.0) -- this means that if yours came back as 4.0 your doctor could say it's fine, when it's actually not (necessarily).

3. Nodules....I would STRONGLY recommend you get a second opinion, and look at get a nodule biopsied. Did your doctor test whether it's a hot or cold nodule, at least?

To be honest, your doctor doesn't sound very smart when it comes to thyroids - it's quite easy to be iodine deficient in the US. If you aren't eating packaged food or adding iodized salt, and eating veggies from areas with depleted soil minerals (the UP is an area classically know for goiters, for example) it would be super easy.

I'd strongly recommend that you find a different doctor.
  • healthyKYgirl
    Options
    1. Just for others reading, a goiter can mean either hypothyroid OR hyperthyroid. Iodine supplement = bad for hyperthyroid, so make sure you get properly tested before supplementing (sounds like you already know/suspect you're hypo vs. hyper).

Yes, I am hypo and not hyper - hair loss, fatigue, depression, TSH levels are high (above 4, although sometimes they go back down for discernible reason), weight gain/can't lose wieght, normal body temperature is 96.6 degrees sometimes going up to 97.2, cold hands/feet, etc.
    2. Proper thyroid testing includes more than just a TSH test (since TSH is produced by your pituitary gland, and therefore doesn't actually directly test your thyroid). Ask your doctor to perform a free T3 and free T4 test (not total T3/T4), to get the real picture. Many doctors are still using the outdated TSH levels as well (.5 - 5.0) vs. the new levels (.3 - 3.0) -- this means that if yours came back as 4.0 your doctor could say it's fine, when it's actually not (necessarily).

He ran TSH and free T4 and total T3. He wouldn't run free T3. My T4 was a 0.8 exactly. I was normal but just barely. I can't remember what total T3 was.

3. Nodules....I would STRONGLY recommend you get a second opinion, and look at get a nodule biopsied. Did your doctor test whether it's a hot or cold nodule, at least?

To be honest, your doctor doesn't sound very smart when it comes to thyroids - it's quite easy to be iodine deficient in the US. If you aren't eating packaged food or adding iodized salt, and eating veggies from areas with depleted soil minerals (the UP is an area classically know for goiters, for example) it would be super easy.

I am setting up an appointment to have them biopsied - I think only one is large enough to biopsy. I have had two ultra sounds (3 months apart because he canceled my appointment for a family event and I got the results and my GP scheduled me for another ultra in between the time I had to wait for the next appointment because I was freaking out) which have shown that they aren't growing and there are more than one (which is actually good), but they haven't been tested for hot/cold. Unfortunately, he's supposedly an excellent endo in my area. It took forever for me to even get a referral from my regular doctor who didn't think I needed to see an endo but after the TSH kept changing without medication I convinced her I should see one. But yeah, I am disappointed in him...just not sure where else to go right now. I am just waiting to get them biopsied and see the results.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I had no idea cranberries could be good for this. I was looking at kelp tablets, but then I ran across info about Iodoral, and I am just trying to find out any information I can. I read that magnesium helps the kidneys while taking iodine supplements. I haven't looked at manganese. Is that important? I am just trying to learn as much as I can right now.

I'm not an endocrinologist but I do know studies where goiter patients already had high magnesium levels so without checking on yours, it's not wise to take a supplement blindly. Some people with goitre also has manganese deficiency and there are few studies where a manganese supplement improved overall symptoms. It's very very case specific so you have to know what you have before you do anything.

I agree with islandmonkey. A thyroid problem is not something to overlook. For my mom's condition, she had it in her late teen years and those were the years when she swam regularly in the sea and had a very good seafood diet so iodine deficiency does not make sense but her thyroid tests weren't abnormal as she tells. However, something wrong with thyroid runs in the family as years later my uncle was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism as well as my sister. And who knows how her thyroid gland is now, she's too stubborn about not seeing a physician. So I would definitely follow islandmonkey's advice and rule out thyroid before making drastic changes to your diet. Hope it all goes well. :flowerforyou: