Thinking of getting a bike.

Options
Am out of shape and have a six month old son think of getting a bike to get myself moving anyone else biking out there? What is a good but affordable for a beginner.

Replies

• hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I got my bike from Target. It's a 7 speed and it cost $150. SOOOO worth it.

I started out doing 6-12 mile rides. Lately my fiance and I have been averaging about 14 miles per weekend (we ride on the weekends, run during the week). Yesterday I did 22 miles (my longest yet!) on my cheap little Target bike :-)
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    There is no one perfect bike. You need to go to a local bike shop with a budget in mind. Most likely you will want a hybrid/ cruiser bike to start. You need to get measured and then test ride several to find which one is most comfortable. Comfort is the most important factor starting out. You will pay more at a local bike shop than at Walmart, but you will leave with a bike fit to you instead of a bike which may be uncomfortable and ends up being an expensive garage ornament.

Brand is really unimportant as the frames of all entry level bikes are made in Asia at one of a small number of factories. Cheaper Walmart bikes typically come with cheaper components which tend to fail sooner than those at a local bike shop. Having said that, you can get a decent bike at Walmart but there will be no one there to help fit it to you which is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing!
  • mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started with an Air Dyne indoor stationary bike which I found on Craigslist for under $100 (in fact I just rode it). I bought a Specialized bike at a bike shop in March for outdoor rides. It's a hybrid and cost way more than I expected to spend but it has been well worth it. I got last year's model (similar to cars) and was glad I did go to a local bike shop -- they spent a lot of time with me and it's a bike that I will have for a very long time.