Easy dinner ideas for one?

Options
I find myself going for fast food because I don't like to take the time to cook. I'm trying to break this habit. Any dinner ideas for one, that are relatively quick and easy?

Replies

• stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    You are what you eat. Stop eating fast food and improve your health um right now! Google up Omega 3 goods and load up! K
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You could always just make a lot and then keep the leftovers in the fridge and keep eating it for a few days in a row that way you only have to cook once every few nights.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I hate to cook. I keep veggie burgers in the freezer so I can pop one in the microwave for a quick meal when I haven't had time to plan. Add some frozen veggies and you're all set. It’s not a kale salad but it’s much better than fast food.

I also like to cook up a big batch of beans (especially black beans or lentils) with seasonings and keep 2/3 c portions in containers in the freezer. I can take them to work or eat them at home (especially on a tortilla) for a quick bite to eat. I really like beans though.

Basically, anything you can cook up on the weekends and freeze in single-serve portions is good.
  • missypoo1974
    Options
    Do you have any day that you could devote some time to cooking? You could do up some meals and then freeze single portions. That way it would be easy to have individual servings but not have to cook every night. And cooking the food yourself would allow you to control the sodium and other preservatives. You could make up a veggie lasagna or a low fat chicken dish casserole. I know it's not easy to cook for one....but think of the freezer as your friend. :)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Spay a sheet of foil with pam, cut up potatoes and place on foil, place a chicken breast, salsa, and cheese on top, bake at 400 for 40 min. Easy simple and can be prepared over the weekend for easy cooking during the week... Look up more if you like the foil idea...
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of really easy ideas for times when it is just me. They will not win any awards, k?

I use a rice cooker and add

1/2 of a small to medium zucchini, diced
    1/4 c. of white rice, raw
    2 Johnsonville smoked cheddar turkey sausages, sliced
    about 1 cup of water
    pepper

and then push the "cook" button and walk away. The other idea is basically the same, but with different vegetables (usually broccoli) and using Trader Joe's turkey meatballs instead of the sausage.
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    Went to Ryan's Steakhouse/Buffet tonight by myself. I highly recommend you DO NOT do this.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of cooking when you have time and freezing individual portions. I live alone and I grill chicken on the weekends (or rather my boyfriend grills my chicken for me because he is that kind of guy). I slice it all up and portion it out in 4 ounce servings in snack bags. Then for a meal, I can throw sugar snap peas in the microwave for 3 minutes or steam green beans, maybe make a little rice, slice a tomato, have a little hummus and before you know it, I have plenty of healthy food on my plate with very little effort. I made turkey chili last week and portioned out 6 servings in Glad containers, the ones with the screw on lids. I froze three and alternated the other three with my chicken meals. Also stir fry is easy to make for one as well as chicken fajitas. Make a whole batch of filling and you are good to go for several meals.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Homemade tuna burgers - 5 minute to fix 10 minutes to cook

1 can albacore tuna 1n water drained and rinsed (rinse to help reduce sodium)
    2 TBS chopped onion
    1 egg or egg white (your choice)
    1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
    cooking spray

mix it all together and mold into 2 patties
    heat pan over medium heat
    cook patties 5 minutes each side.

One patty = 164 calories, 13 carbs, 4 fats, and 17 proteins.

I eat it with zucchini ribbons quick sauted for 5 minutes and tomatoes slices drizzled with lemon juice.
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You are what you eat. Stop eating fast food and improve your health um right now! Google up Omega 3 goods and load up! K

um, obviously that's the whole purpose of this post, and i don't feel like your comment contributed much at all.
  • electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree to the common response to make a lot and save leftovers.

Just an additional point, that when you are making multiple dishes at once, you are actually saving time. (Chopping up a second onion while still in the mode, starting another dish while waiting on the other to boil, doing a wash all together, etc) i! ts truly worth putting on your calender! Even if it saves you from just one fast food splurge!

As for myself? My bi-weekly preparation is canned tuna! But I live off tuna, beans, and greek yogurt. I don't think thats for everyone haha!
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Cook whatever dish you like in any amount. eat one serving, freeze the rest for another day alone. :)

:flowerforyou:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I made garlic shrimp today. Basically, peel shrimp, season with salt and pepper. Heat oil and add some chopped garlic, chili flakes/Green chili/jalapeno (whatever you like if you like heat in your dishes). Fry without burning for a minute or two. Add shtimp, cook about 4 or 5 minutes. Add some lime juice and chopped cilantro if you like.

I sliced some onions and some bell peppers, did a quick stir fry, added some fajita seasoning and salt at the end, and with the shrimp, a tortilla and some guacamole (store bought, but not hard to make), this is going to be DH's lunch tomorrow.

You can also make a quick "breakfasr burrito" by mixing some eggs and salsa, cooking that, and sticking it in a tortilla with some grated cheese.

Mostly, what I do is to get a bunch of chicken breasts, clean, slice (3-5 portions per breast), and season in different things. Like, one batch would get fajita seasonings, another would get tandoori seasoning, another, some soy, ginger, garlic, etc. Put them in a ziploc bag and freeze, take out the night before and move to the refrigerator, and grill/bake/broil. It's wonderful with some grilled veggies (marinated in lemon juice, salt, pepper).