bingeing/overeating problems

Options
today i hopped on the scale and got a number that's only 10lbs away from my goal weight and for whatever reason i got the intense urge to eat /uncontrollably/ and did exactly that. i cannot even begin to estimate how many calories i consumed; it was that unrestrained and glutenous. i feel absolutely horrible now as this seems to be a recurring thing that pops up no matter how far i feel i've gotten from that past lifestyle and i'm terrified it's going to keep happening down the line til the point that i'm back in the high numbers again.

i guess what i'm getting at is are there possibly any others who have had binge/overeating issues in the past that have overcome them and have some advice? this is a cheap comparison but i feel almost like an alcoholic with this as if i have literally no control - i even have nightmares about it.

Replies

• jshort152
    Options
    Only weigh yourself after you eat till your full then or just stay off the scale. So many people get caught up in the weight game but focus more on the inches lost, hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • MissMaz
    MissMaz Posts: 92
    Options
    I understand that for sure. I think the above advice is good, don't get too caught up on the numbers (if you can help it), but when you're ready, perhaps think about reasons that you may self-sabatoge. Good luck!
  • Lamondra
    Lamondra Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did exactly the same thing yesterday. Felt horrible by last night, but drew a line under it and today is another day. I'm going to try to hold onto the feeling I had at the end of the day and use it to stop myself from doing it again.

I've got 10lbs to go too. This bit is the hardest! Definitely!
  • Lamondra
    Lamondra Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh, also...log everything you ate. Preferably the next day. It helps to see it written down - although it doesn't make comfortable reading.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing when I have a significant scale victory, for some reason my mind thinks it's a free ticket for eating anything and everything in the cupboards.
  • ShaunaLouiseGetsFit
    Options
    i find once i log in what i ate during the day, it puts me off wanting to eat, for example, a certain bar until treat day. i always have my treat days on sundays, in which i eat whatever i want, in moderation but during the week, i will exercise and eat healthy, a lot.

log in your exercise and meal intake during the week. give yourself treat days. treat yourself to WHATEVER you want. clothes. food. bag. book. music. whatever you want. i think if you give yourself a treat at the end of the week, you will stay motivated and you will find during the week, you will barely touch sweets etc. i have a no sweet during the week rule and it works brilliantly. even if i plan on going to the cinema during the week and my friends are getting popcorn, i will pack a fruit bag, basically i little lunch bag with different kinds of fruit. it's tastier and i will feel just as full as i would if i ate a whole tub of popcorn.

i weigh myself once every 2 weeks or 3 weeks. i hate weighing myself. i would rather rely on how much inches i lost than how low the numbers went. i find once i concentrate on the inches, i have a better chance of working harder in the gym the next time.