21 day vegan cleanse

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for anyone who is a vegetarian or a vegan. This past Christmas was really bad for the food and booze. It actually kind of messed up my system a little. So, I am going on cleanse for at least 21 days, to get all the crap out of my system.

No meat,
No eggs,
No cheese,
No Dairy
No booze
No Caffeine.

I know what the hell else is there. Well, I am on my second day and I am doing okay ( alittle shakey without my coffee) but I am short on my protein. My doctor wants me eating about 90g a day. Yesterday I was only at 19 and today I am at 55.

So, what is high in protein, low in fat that a vegan can eat????

Let me know

Thanks

Phoenix

Replies

• AlexisMacDonald
    Options
    Yves Ground Round... just heat up in a pan with some veggies and you can make a "healthy taco" night. Add a little soy cheese and some home-made guacamole and wrap it all up in a whole-wheat tortilla. Delicious!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Here's a good site with some info on how to increase protein in a vegan diet:
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm#table2
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am no longer following a vegan diet, but when I was for about a year my best bet for protein (low fat) was beans. I loved lentils, black beans, pinto, navy, etc etc. Hummus is a great dip and it is made of beans, You can try tofu, but personally I thought it was gross. the consistency more than anything. You can use the soft kind for smoothies. That is alot better! There is a few great vegan messaging boards out there with tons of help, advice and recipes. google vegan forum and you will find many. :) There was a huge one I used to go to and I cannot remember what it was...Of course nuts are great but are not low in fat. :)
  • cktb4him
    Options
    Quinoa is fantastic as a low fat high (and complete) protein grain. It's got some great nutrients to get your body on the right track. Put some cucumber, red onion diced up, some vinagrette (or just some red wine vinegar) with it and it's pretty good. If you want to add it with some marinated tofu (grill it for good flavor). Tofu smoothies in the morning with lots of organic blueberries or any type of berries and soymilk is a great lowfat and high protein and filling breakfast too. Hummus (home made so you can control the fat content) is great too with pre-cut veggies or on some good flat bread stuffed with tomatoes and lettuce and red onion is delicious. Hope that helps. I used to be vegan until diagnosed with IC and that disease severely restricted my diet so I had to start eating more regular foods. If I could I would still be vegan-loved it and never felt so clean and full of energy in my whole life. Also, finally got to a healthy weight being vegan!:happy:
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have recently taken dairy (not including eggs) and meat completely out of my diet. (Though I have messed up once or twice) but i found this section of my super market thats specifically for veggie people. And they have these spinach nuggets. MMMMM SOOOO YUMMMMMMYYY I WANT THEM ALL.

Okay but seriously SPINACH is REALLY great for protein. And if you are still doing fish (Vegans don't) but FISH IS GREAT for that too. Also getting protein supplements like protein bars. Like--- I try to eat WAY more fiber every day to help keep me regular..... and so a protein bar is perfect for that.
  • Phoenix69
    Phoenix69 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. I am going to look for the spinach nuggets.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    the one thing i should mention though is that there are about 7 Grams of fat in a serving (only 3 nuggets) but if you are good about watching serving size and are eating lots of fruits and veggies and stuff---- and don't have the dairy in your system (which is what usually takes up my fat every day) then you should be fine.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I'm not a vegan or vegetarian but I'm not a huge meat eater either. As someone mentioned, your best bet would be beans and there are so many varieties to choose from with tons of different recipes. From dips, to spreads, to making burger patties. I really suggest you do your research, there are tons of books out there. I've gotten some great recipes from the book 'Becoming Vegetarian'. For the last 6 years it's my go to book when I need some info. There are tons of info on Vegan diets too and lots of good 'raw' recipes. If you like cooking and trying new things, it'll be a breeze for you.

Other good sources include nuts (high in calories and your good 'fats'), tofu, broccoli, spinach, kale. Actually, your leafy greens will be your best friend :)

Good luck!