Protein

Options
Hello All,
I am new to MFP. I just finished planning my menus for the week. Every day I am over on protein intake. I am staying within the other guidelines in terms of calories/carbs/fats - actually under. The protein is not coming from red meat, but rather legumes, greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, etc. Should I worry about being over on protein? I am on 1200 calories per day starting tomorrow. Some advice please.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to restrict protein I wouldn't worry about it.

I doubled what MFP told me to eat, and try to eat at least 100 a day.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    mfp's default protein % of your diet is only 15.. and it should really be more like 20-30. you can change it under settings
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you're going to go over on some category, protein is the way to go (unless a medical professional has advised you against it). I always, ALWAYS go over my protein by at least 20-30g. If you're planning on doing any strength training, your muscles will thank you :)
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If u do lots of strength u need extra protein, ditto for sports and demanding workouts or physical jobs. Over 30 you may want to cut down on dairy protein, but every body different. Get a vitamin panel done when u go to drs, I get one 3x a year cuz my D gets low easily. Its a cheap test, your doc wont mind, and its great to help know where u need to adjust yr diet. Ditto for cholesterol.
  • ttroone10
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I am really excited to be starting this journey. My life has been full of gains and losses and gains. I feel that by seeing everything in black and white, and being aware of what I'm eating will be a big help!
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless of course stated above(medical) I am always over on protein