How do you drink 8 glasses of water a day??

Options

Replies

• suzyjahn
    suzyjahn Posts: 12
    Options
    the mindless constant sipping is what works for me. i have alot of those double walled cups with lids and straws. for some reason the straw is key for me. it makes it less painful (lol) to be drinking so much water in a day. and you kinda have to commit to drinking a ton everyday until it becomes second nature!

This is SO me too! I love those silly straws! They sure do help get more water in me!
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    i have a 1 liter bottle that i keep with me at all times. when i'm driving home from work, i can consume the whole thing (15-20 minute drive). i crave water so much that i can't really explain any really good ways to do it. i just focus on drinking lots when i'm eating (makes me fuller faster) and when i'm just out and about. if the bottle is in my hand, i'll absentmindedly take the cap off and chug it.
  • lynda155
    lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I thank my mom every chance I get,... She instilled drinking water when I was young... never quite got into drinking a lot of soda or sugary drinks.... I drink water in a big 64 ounce mug, I down one of those daily and then sum.. I use a straw so its not so daunting and keep is cold with ice!

my downfall is breads, pasta and such... Good Luck and You can do it!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It's easy when you drink nothing but water. I drink way more than 8.
  • jules7890
    jules7890 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!! So inspiring ;)
  • heatherzitterkopf
    heatherzitterkopf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use a mcdonalds water cup which is 32 ounces and drink one and a half by noon and another one and a half by 7:00pm and viola...96oz! It helps me eat less too!
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    it is not that hard.. as long as you do it in steps.. you can count lunch and dinner drinking... so that's at least 3.. then u have 5 after breakfast and before going to bed...

Just try to make it a habit.. it wont happen right away that's for sure
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me to hit my goal if I drink a lot at one time. I drink at least 16 oz at a time. It also helps to remember that if you take supplements, they are best taken with a full glass of water. So I also drink at least 10 oz with supplements twice a day. This reminds me, I'm thirsty! Lol :) I only drink cool or room temp water, it really goes down so much easier than ice cold water, but I know some people don't like that, so you just have to see what works best for you :)
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I was drinking more in the winter then I am now. I don't force it. I drink if I am thirsty. I have been like this my entire life. I guess everyone is different about taking in liquids.
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Try this out:

tumblr_m6r7mj5P7j1rayak7o1_500.jpg
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i have this big mug (it's at least 2 cup capacity) and i have some tea in the morning and at night - that's 4 cups right there. before/during/right after a workout i go through a bottle, which is another 2 cups. that's about as far as i get if i'm not thinking about it, but if i am thinking, i keep ice water near me so i drink out of it when i see it.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I forced water for a few weeks (and had to pee ALL. THE. TIME.) Then I read that the 8 by 8 recommendation is based on a study from the 1950's where they also say that you will get about half of that from your food.

Now I keep a rotation of ice cold bottled water going (one by my desk and one in the freezer and swap every few hours) and most days I'm between 4-6. I feel healthy, I don't wake up with the awful dehydrated taste in my mouth I got from pop.

To get past the 48 ounces a day I have to plan to chug it from time to time.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I add the juice of a half a lime, with a little stevia organic powder for 16 ounces...
    Because Florida water sucks...
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Every time you go in the kitchen, have a glass of water until you reach 8 cups spaced through out the day. I usually make it to 8 by 3pm or so. Sometimes I'll go for more than that, but for the sake of not having to go to the bathroom all night, I usually stick to just 8 during the daytime.
  • shannongander
    shannongander Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try the MIO line of water enhancers - they are delicious and have no sugar or calories. They taste absolutely delicous and you just need a squirt in your glass or water bottle :)
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    My trick?
    I work at the local waterboard. There are 'water' pictures everywhere! On my phone display, my desk top, logos... EVERYWHERE! And everything is blue. I've drunk 1litre just reading this thread because it reminded me.
    Maybe put some water pictures up or get one of those tacky little battery water fountains for your desk.
    Being reminded works for me!

I had trouble when I first started (I drink 3 litres/day and 5-6 litres on days I play sport) as I was a 2 litre/day person.
    I found it easier to sip. I keep a 1 litre bottle with me and will fill it at least twice while at work. Everytime I look at it, I take a mouthful.
    If you are trying to chug it and you are getting bloated it'd be a real turn off. Try and sip between mouthfuls of food too. You'll be surprised how quickly you get through it when it's not a chore and making you feel sick.
    I've also started carrying a bottle in my handbag to drink on the way to and from work. I aim to drink 1 bottle between the two journeys. If I get most of my water intake BEFORE dinner it means I'm not up and down all night :laugh:

If it does help, add some low cal flavourings. Just to break it up. Make it a routine. I do things like drink a bottle while making dinner, drink a bottle while doing housework, drink half a bottle before breakfast. Once you get into a routine you'll be reaching for it without thinking.

It's important not to drink too much at once. Your kidneys work too hard and your liver starts taking over that job rather than doing it's own job. It also comes out as pee too quickly rather than hanging about and doing what it's meant to do.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Try this out:

tumblr_m6r7mj5P7j1rayak7o1_500.jpg

Love it!
  • DestroyTheOpposition
    DestroyTheOpposition Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have two 32oz nalgene bottles I fill every morning with water. Since a glass is 8 oz, I try to finish one by 1pm and the rest before dinner.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I keep my 40oz hydroflask with me all day. I drink about two of those. Recently I kicked a pop addiction (soda to some people) and have been drinking TONS of tea. I don't crave pop at all anymore and I find if I drink less water than I usually do I get really thirsty. So I think it's just something you have to work up towards. I used to only drink a glass or two a day.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I drink about 18-25 glasses a day, on average. I cannot get enough.
    Edited to add, I don't know 'how I do it'. I guess I worked up to it over time? I crave it. I hardly drink anything else.