Tabata

Options
I've looked into starting these workouts as they're meant to be a huge calorie burn and really good for getting fitter.

Has anyone tried these? Any thoughts?

What exercises do you do?

And how do I log these? As circuit training? (I don't have a HRM yet)

Replies

• vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love tabata workouts. I don't have a HRM either, so I've just been logging based on the kinds of exercises I do. So if it's push-ups, I use calisthenics, squat jacks I do high impact aerobics. Whatever seems to fit. I need to get a HRM!

If you're looking for a workout DVD, Amy Dixon's Breathless Body workouts are pretty awesome and have three difficulty levels, so I know I'm going to be doing them for a long time.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Without a HRM, i'm not sure how you'd log them accurately. What you burn will depend on the exercise you choose, if you go full out for all 8 rounds, etc. I've done them with squats, push ups, sprints, etc. We do exercises in this fashion at our kettlebell club sometimes & it's pretty effective. The first couple of rounds aren't too bad and then it gets almost exponentially harder...
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've done it on a rowing machine and a treadmill but, as I'm not a runner, I'm not really sprinting on the treadmill - kills me to try it on the elliptical.
  • ncotanche
    Options
    I would probably log them as a dance or high impact cardio work out. These classes are crazy and killer. I don't take them as often as I would like because they are too high impact on my knee. :(
  • laurenkeh
    laurenkeh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My best tabata workouts involve both cardio, weights and body weight exercises.

Examples:
    Pushups
    Dips
    Burpees
    Jumping Squats ( or weighted )
    Sit Ups
    Dead Lifts

High intensity work-out that you can definately feel the next day! :)