Contraceptive pill- women only

Options
I've just started taking the mini pill (pop) and i was wondering if you ladies have any experience with weight gain whilst being on it?

Replies

• TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna bump this since I've never heard of this pill before.
  • anna9102
    anna9102 Posts: 56
    Options
    It's a contraceptive pill, which produces progesterone only, stops you getting periods.
  • anna9102
    Options
    Bump!!
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i didnt take this pill but i did take the combined pill for a while but also had the implanon implant which also stops your periods. i did gain weight on both although on the pill i was eating badly any way. implanon which stopped mine completely minus a bit of breakthrough / spotting i did gain weight. i think if you eat healthily the weight gain (if you have any some people dont) will be minimal - couple of pounds i would expect. you could always go and speak to your gp or look at side effects online. just use a reputable website so you get proper info. hope this helps. xxx
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've been on Novynette for more than three years and have only lost weight during that time. Probably because of a lot of exercise and eating better, and I don't think the pill has affected my weight in any way.
  • LeotaD
    LeotaD Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been on a pop for... almost a year now I think. I didn't notice any gain, in fact I lost a bit when I switched from estrogen to pop.
  • anna9102
    Options
    Thanks for the help. They are cerazette tablets, or desogestrel if that means anything to anyone?
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    I took Cerazette (a pop) and lost quite a bit of weight on it. It didn't stop me getting periods though, just made them really infrequent. I had a lot of spotting in the beginning but no other side affects really. Good luck x
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hmmm this is good to know! I'm on the depo shot right now, but they only recommend being on that for 2 years as it makes you lose bone density and a greater risk of Osteoporosis. I have one year before I have to switch and have been considering what I want to switch to. I love the shot because I never have my period!! If this mini pill helps keep the TOM of month away, I'm all for it!! And just a heads up to anyone who might read this and be curious about depo, I experienced weight gain, simply because I wasn't exercising or eating healthy and was already over weight. I think if a fit and healthy person were to start the shot, they probably wouldn't have any problems with it. Just my two cents ;-)
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    ^^^ to go withthe above post about Depo. I gained 5lbs my first two months on depo ONLY because I wasn't active enough or eating well. I have dropped that weight no and then some. The shot can be great if you're healthy and active, for some however it is an excuse.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    birth control affects every woman differently

lots of women like to blame weight gain on birth control, but its really just water retention anyhow.
  • cassiee1234
    cassiee1234 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i can't take the pill unfortunately because im allergic to it, so im on depo. To be honest, I don't find it makes any difference in weight GAIN, but more for me had made it more difficult to loose. I didn't notice myself putting on any weight, but rather staying the same or loosing smaller amounts compared to what I was loosing when I wasn't on any contraceptives. If that makes sence. I always find that even though I dont get my periods I can definately tell when they would be coming. I get really bad water retention. Sometimes around 3 kgs worth and some pretty bad bloating too.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    my personal experience on any contraceptive method that stopped my period made me gain weight...or very very hard to lose...BUMP
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    I am currently on Zovia and my gynecologist arranged it so I have my period only 4 times a year. I went from Depo (the shot) but switched to the pill because I couldn't control my appetite whilst on the shot (increased appetite is one of the side effects). I lost weight pretty quickly.

I don't wanna say that the pill made me lose weight but it BALANCED my weight and hormones.