Over on protein

Options
New to the site but noticed a trend since started that I'm over my protein allowance everyday? Is that o.k? My total calories have been pretty good.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/703216-protein

unless you have a medical reason to limit protein I wouldn't worry about it.

MFP protein settings are very conservative.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    if you are using MFP settings, don't worry about being over on protein. i changed my macros to 40% protein and I rarely go over. I think MFP sets it too low.
  • cvthatcher
    cvthatcher Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I congratulate myself for being over on protein, so long as my calories are within my goal and the other macros are reasonable. Gotta get strong!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on where the majority of your protein comes from. If it's coming from grains or beans ect I wouldn't worry, but if it's from red meat, chicken, eggs, dairy you might want to re-evaluate it.

You'll find a lot of people here that think if they eat more protein (no matter the source) that it's a good thing, even groups of people that eat over 100mg a day (the reason I do not know), but excess protein is just that, excess. You don't need a huge amount be healthy, and eating more than you should isn't going to boost weight loss as some people think.
  • misslady72
    misslady72 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I actually changed my protein goals because what mfp set was way too low! Have you talked to a nutritionist to see what your daily intake should be? Also depends on how active you are too..need protein to keep your body going :)
  • AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    red meat, eggs, dairy are perfectly fine everyday, even over goal, especially if they were raised naturally!
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Probably biased here since I'm a vegetarian, but I'd say it's not great if you are also going over on cholesterol every day. If you're going over on protein but your cholesterol isn't over the top, it's all good. Keep in mind that the amount of cholesterol you should have every day (recommended by the American Heart Association, based on 2000 calories/day) is exceeded if you eat 2 eggs. Crazy, right? Sucks for me, b/c I love eggs. :P
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Unless you're tracking protein because you're working out, just go in the setting and have it disabled. Too much protein can be bad for your liver and kidneys, but too much protein is over 1.5g per pound of bodyweight, or some people even say it's over 2g per pound. Most people would struggle to achieve that, so don't worry about it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on where the majority of your protein comes from. If it's coming from grains or beans ect I wouldn't worry, but if it's from red meat, chicken, eggs, dairy you might want to re-evaluate it.
    That's an opinion and a value judgment based upon your chosen diet. I'd have to guess you're vegetarian/vegan. I'm not, and my opinion is that all those things (red meat, chicken, eggs, dairy) are perfectly healthy and good sources of complete, quality protein.
    You'll find a lot of people here that think if they eat more protein (no matter the source) that it's a good thing, even groups of people that eat over 100mg a day (the reason I do not know), but excess protein is just that, excess.
    My protein intake is set at a minimum of 175g/day (1g/lb LBM). That's far from "excess" - in fact, it's even considered moderate to low by some standards. The reason I have a protein intake of over 100g (not mg) is because I like my lean body mass (muscles) and would prefer to keep them around as I lose weight.
    You don't need a huge amount be healthy, and eating more than you should isn't going to boost weight loss as some people think.
    It's not that it boosts weight loss - it's that it helps preserve lean body mass so more of your loss is fat. I have a hard time seeing how that's a bad thing.

[edit]: for the OP - MFP sets your protein goal very low by default. There's no problem with exceeding it - in fact it's a good idea. Some people change their macros to suit their goals/preferences. I have mine set to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    That's an opinion and a value judgment based upon your chosen diet. I'd have to guess you're vegetarian/vegan. I'm not, and my opinion is that all those things (red meat, chicken, eggs, dairy) are perfectly healthy and good sources of complete, quality protein.
    You'll find a lot of people here that think if they eat more protein (no matter the source) that it's a good thing, even groups of people that eat over 100mg a day (the reason I do not know), but excess protein is just that, excess.
    My protein intake is set at a minimum of 175g/day (1g/lb LBM). That's far from "excess" - in fact, it's even considered moderate to low by some standards. The reason I have a protein intake of over 100g (not mg) is because I like my lean body mass (muscles) and would prefer to keep them around as I lose weight.
    You don't need a huge amount be healthy, and eating more than you should isn't going to boost weight loss as some people think.
    It's not that it boosts weight loss - it's that it helps preserve lean body mass so more of your loss is fat. I have a hard time seeing how that's a bad thing.

"perfectly healthy" in what sense? Sure if someone doesn't overdo it I'm sure they will be healthy but if the majority of one's protein is heavy fatty sources like dairy then there's an issue with fat intake. I know this by personal experience, not all proteins are the same. Sure you can be healthy and eat those sources, but going over in some of them can lead to negative excess in other things such as fat, sat fat and cholesterol.

Perhaps for your body weight and height, ect you require more protein than I do, I"m 5'3", 155lbs. I do not need over 100mg of protein. I average 45-60g daily. I have had no issues in failing to build muscle or maintain the muscles I do have.

I was not talking about you specifically on people thinking they need more protein than they do or people thinking that more protein means more weight loss, but unfortunatly there are people here who do believe those things.
  • LiZzie1917
    Options
    How do you change your macros.?
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How do you change your macros.?

Home>Goals>Change Goals> Custom
  • AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol is so important for the body, the body will make it. But the kind of cholesterol the body makes is not the optimal kind.

Eating cholesterol will raise your bodys cholesterol at first, but the body will down regulate its cholesterol making, and your levels will fall back to better than before.

Lots of Paleo eaters regularly eat 3-6 eggs a day and optimize their cholesterol levels. (Red meat, all meat, lots of veggies, fresh fruits, etc)

If your food intake is not protein it need to be something else (fat or carb) and protein is probably the best choice for a dieter. Our larger bodies need those extra calories until we reach normal weight, and extra fat or extra carbs may not be the best choice in all cases.

It is suggested to eat your body weight in grams of protein on training days and your lean body mass (fat free mass) in grams on rest days. Fill the rest with veggies, fruits, and healthy fats (the ones that naturally come with the proteins, or coconut or olive oil, no man made junk oils)

But everyone is different.
  • vickiemind
    Options
    Thnks for the responses I will not worry for the time being and see how it goes:smile: