All I want is candy!! Help me.

Options
I don't wake up with this craving, but I definitely end my night with it. I want gummy candies or sweets, but mostly gummy candies. It doesn't help that other people that I live with have these around the house for sharing... so I cannot resist them! I only eat a few, but it's enough to tilt my calories over my suggested calorie range. It's also getting to the point where once I eat them, I just want more -- nothing satisfies the craving. Beside that, I eat really well for the most part. I stick to my calorie range with lots of green veggies, high fiber carbs, protein, and fruits. I drink a bunch of water, too. What am I doing wrong that makes me crave this much sugar?

Replies

• graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Do to the lack of opinions, I'm assuming I've stumped everyone... we're all miserably craving sugar aren't we? :P
  • colson251
    Options
    I think we're all in the same boat (biscuits/cookies are my downfall). Try to power through it!
  • graveflower316
    Options
    It's very hard to get through it, so I'm just going to force myself to sleep instead of going downstairs to grab some more hot tamale candies... XD
  • littlemermaid1048
    Options
    We make it a habit to treat ourselves with candy at nighttime to comfort ourselves for whatever "hardships" we encountered during the day....that's what I think if our hormones are ok and diabetes isn't to be blamed. Hard cold try not giving in to your sweet tooth....break the habit. Go to bed early, fill yourself with more water, read a book instead, workout,..... Good luck. :)
  • jojoof4
    jojoof4 Posts: 120
    Options
    When the sweet craving hits me, I satisfy it with dried mango. Has the gummy consistency and sweet flavor.
  • afgivens4
    afgivens4 Posts: 117
    Options
    Same boat here.... but this is what I have done to help myself. I LOVE gummy candy..... addiction.....
    I bought the gummy vitamins. I bought the Fiber Gummies. I bought the Brach's Sugar Free Gummies.
    I have the vitamins in the morning to soothe my craving... I have the Fiber Gummies in the afternoon. This at least gives me extra vitamins and nutrients while I get my gummy fix. At night, if I am still having a major craving, I will have a few of the sugar free gummies to shut my belly up for the night.

Hope that helps.
  • Wingwoman21
    Options
    Try gum! There are so many flavors of sugar-free!
  • littlemermaid1048
    Options
    We have the control over our mind....we just choose to give in and that's what keep us from reaching our goals.
  • graveflower316
    Options
    All of your suggestions are very helpful. It just seems that some days I'm in control and others I can't help but foam at the mouth after seeing something tempting, like candy. There's no way of getting rid of it from the house, but I will stand strong and try dried fruits and the vita-gummies instead of letting myself succumb to real candies.
  • graveflower316
    Options
    But honestly, I feel like this will be torture. XD
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free gum does the trick for me ;-)
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ok i SERIOUSLY have this problem and in the last 5 days have found something that works. I have 100ml of organic lite milk and half a scoop of double chocolate protein shake (i like isowhey complete, its yummy). At 100 cal it kicks my sugar craving and the milk is satisfying for the stomach plus its loaded with vitamons and fibre so they fill you too. Hope this is of help. I'm 5 days binge free so far!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    OK I have always been addicted to candy...any kind. I have found things to replace those needs, I enjoy sweet fruits, Pears, cantaloupe, watermelon, apples, mandarin oranges or clementines. I enjoy a bit of jello to give me that jiggle somewhat close to gummies.....good luck
  • BitteOrca
    BitteOrca Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i have been a candy addict FOREVER (currently have a not-so-secret stash of starburst in my closet for emergency purposes) and I always feel the need to finish dinner with something sweet. I've swapped out candy/dessert for a square or two of expensive and delicious dark chocolate (currently Lindt 75% mint) and I find that just that tiny bit of sweetness is enough to satisfy me. Plus chocolate lacks that texture of gummy things that makes you want to keep eating MORE. it's more about the flavor than the texture, so it prevents me from bingeing.

Good luck!
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've tried completely eliminating candy in the past and it doesn't work for me. I find myself obsessing then "binging" on said candy then "starting diet tomorrow."

What works for me is knowing that I can have a little candy treat at the very end of the day. This keeps me on track all day to eat well, fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats/fish. I try to save (or make via exercise) a few hundred calories for the end of the day. I take 4 Gummy Worms (yes, me too!) and put them in a little baggie; then take 2 or 3 of the individually wrapped Ghirardelli chocolates and that is my treat for the night. The rest is hidden out of sight and not touched until next "treat time."
  • lgubert
    lgubert Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you got some time, I suggest watching a youtube video, it's called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth". It's an hour long lecture though so be prepared. Some people I know found it to be dry but I found it very informative. I used to have such a sweet tooth. I ate sugary things all the time.. but after I watched this and understood how your body processes sugar and what it does, I very rarely touch the stuff, it's turned me right off from eating so much sugar it's now an occasional treat every now and then. It was a little hard to do at first, but it's easy now. I was addicted, it was like a drug to me. I probably easily had 100 - 150 grams of sugar a day minimum. Now I go weeks without it, there's days at a time where I have 0 grams. When I do ingest sugar, it's mainly the better type, lactose, from milk and not sucrose and fructose. Side note, I went out with a friend a few weeks ago and had a can of pop, (which has more sugar then I would have in a whole week now) and after finishing it, I experienced a crazy sugar high that I never felt before.