Losing weight after 40....impossible??

Options

Replies

• susanp15
    susanp15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'll be 54 this week .... yes, it's totally possible to lose weight. It's a lifestyle change; not a diet. It all goes hand in hand with eating better and getting more exercise. Make yourself accountable and you will be successful.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm 43. Of course, I have a lot more weight to lose than you do, but its working so far.
  • kss627
    kss627 Posts: 1
    Options
    You start losing muscle mass as you age so you can gain weight even if you eat the same as always. You need to add some weight training to your exercise routine.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and doing fine, it averages out at 2lb a week

Like harlanJEN, 49 next month
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in January. I also started losing weight in January. My stats:

January 2012: 238 pounds
    June 2012, joined MFP: 214 pounds
    August 2012, current: 192.2 pounds

My goal weight 130 pounds and I will get there! Over 40 means you may have to work out harder, is all. Try upping the intensity of your workouts.
  • st0rmch4s3r
    Options
    it is harder, but not impossible, since april of this year i've lost 35 lbs and i'm almost 50...can't really give you any advice on the losing and then gaining back, been there done that...good luck to you and i prob would lose more if i exercised, but i don't
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have lost 36 lbs so far since January,
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I hope not - I'm 40 in a couple weeks and am no where near my goal weight! I plan to look more amazing in my 40s than I ever did in my 30s!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and doing fine, it averages out at 2lb a week

Like harlanJEN, 49 next month

Happy birthday next month !!
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    You all have given me the inspiration I need to keep on going. It's not going to easy but I'm determine to stick with it because I know I can be successful.

Hopefully my ticker will speak for itself one of these days
  • KayceRN
    KayceRN Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm 43 and have lost 5 lbs since starting my diet 10 days ago... So no it's not impossible :)
  • KayceRN
    KayceRN Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm 43 and have lost 5 lbs since starting my diet 10 days ago... So no it's not impossible :) And btw.... You don't look anywhere near 40!
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    harder ,yes...impossible...no
  • kittyconni
    Options
    I am 40 and have lost 55 pounds since March...You can do whatever you set your mind to!!
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It can be done but it really is a heck of a lot harder. I'm 49 and have never had issues with weight until my mid 40's. I only need to lose about 10 pounds (would be elated with 15) and have truly struggled. Good luck to you!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 lbs and still going strong, if a little bit slower due to injury and subsequent surgery. I am 45. There are a lot of things stacked against me, including some metabolic health conditions, and yet, I just keep on going. I don't listen to what others say isn't possible. I KNOW that if you work for it, you can accomplish ANYTHING!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    44 3/4 and I'm actually finding it easier than my previous attempts
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    it's definitely not impossible, but i have found it to be harder than when i was younger and compared to my younger friends.
    check out my favorite article on this topic:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/rant-63-february-2012-in-praise-of-older-women

she puts in in great perspective (using some foul language, of course. please don't read if language offends you :)
  • bluemoonrise
    bluemoonrise Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Not true! My mom lost weight a lot of weight in her 50s. Like some have mentioned in earlier posts, it is more of a lifestyle change since metabolism does slow down with age and with our genetics, it seems do that at a faster rate than some other people.

What she did:
    - Really cut down on the 'bad' stuff, like regular desserts, fatty meats and treats in general. Our pantry never had chips, cookies, muffins, bagels.
    - If she is around treats, anything wrapped in phyllo-goodness, she exercises will-power and stopped after a bite or two.
    - Her breakfast usually consists of oatmeal, almond meal/ground flax and blue berries/cinnamon.
    - She keeps her portions very small and stopped going for seconds.
    - She also works out for 45 minutes to an hour almost 5 times a week. Her classes range from strength training to aerobics to yoga, etc.
    - Because she is lactose intolerant, she sticks to lactaid or soy milk.

She lost about 20 pounds over 18 months, while working at a desk job. The best part is her arms now are slim and slender, with no loose skin, they look like they belong on a 20 year old! In fact, they are slimmer now than when before she had me!

Overall, I think it helps to know what body type you are: Ectomorph, Endomorph or Mesomorph. If you are an Endomorph like myself and my mom, it sucks because you would have to workout more than 3 times a week to kick start your metabolism.
  • barky586
    barky586 Posts: 43
    Options
    No way. 46 years old and have lost 169 pounds. Eat proper and hit the gym hard consistently.