Binge Cravings

Options
Hi folks.
I hope you can help me. I have been doing so well for the last two months, eating right and exercising and seeing steady reductions in my mass, girth and steady increases in strength and stamina, self control and self-discipline.

When I quit smoking, I did it cold-turkey. Never again. Not one.

I am a binge-eater. I eat emotionally and for boredom. Right at this particular moment, I'm struggling with an urge to find some rubbish and eat it. I didn't have the most awesome day and I'm now home alone with nothing particular to do. I've already spent ages looking for the lid of the popcorn maker, only to decide I don't actually want any. I opened a packet of Shapes, ate 3 and threw the rest out because I don't actually want them. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? Why do I think I want this stuff? Why do I feel like eating when I know I'm full? I had a lovely dinner and I'm not actually hungry, but damn I'd love a bowl of M&Ms right now.

The problem I'm having is the need to eat. If I could, I'd quit and never do it again, so that I never had to deal with it again. All or nothing. How do I find that balance?

Replies

• wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't have "bad" snacks in my house any more. When I get the munchies, I try to eat almonds, cashews, or fruit.
  • kittenmcgowan
    kittenmcgowan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a few for my teenage brother who I am living with. I don't tend to eat them, because I don't actually like them. But damn I like chocolate and I'd LOVE some right now! Of course, I'm not going to have any, but I wish I could kill the cravings, because I know if I allowed myself, I could just sit and eat and eat and eat.
  • MarianneDarroch
    MarianneDarroch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I sometimes struggle with binge cravings and like you once I start that's it!

Could you go for a walk, take a bath, paint your nails - something to take your mind off eating and keep you occupied. You should find the need to binge subsides the longer you leave it!!

I try and make sure I don't have any sweets etc in the house as if they are there I know I will eat them. It's a hard habit to break however I find the more I eat better and work out the less I get the cravings!

Think of how far you have come as motivation and use it to overcome the cravings :)
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm not always successful, but whenever I get an urge to binge, I lay in bed and hug my pillow until it passes. Sometimes doing a puzzle helps distract me, but at times the craving is too distracting for me to do anything but lay down and wait it out. The cravings do pass... eventually.
  • mememej
    mememej Posts: 2
    Options
    I find it is a constant battle not to over eat - just made chocolate cake with kids and fighting the urge not to eat any which would set me off and ruin the rest of the day. I too am all or nothing! writing here now is stopping me sneaking into the kitchen and eating!
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    I REALLY REALLY struggled with this, but in all honesty i just had to say to myself that i had to stop...5 weeks later no binges, 13lbs lost and im feeling amazing....its just not worth it and its all in the mind, have some fruity when you feel hungry....the more days pass where you dont binge the better..xx
  • milu1f
    milu1f Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Painting nails is a good one! or just go for a walk, see a friend. Put urself in a situation where you will not be comfterble eating loads. I used to binge in secret, so i make sure i am around ppl when i feel the urge.
    Go sit in the park and let myself have a chocolate or somethng like that....hope ur craving passes soon!
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    There are cakes in the office today and one is not a problem (73 calories) but I am struggling not eating the rest of the tray......

Glass of water has not helped, so now off to find a better option. I did so think I could have just one, but obviously not made as much progress as thought.
  • combatlinda
    combatlinda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Read 50 shades of grey, that will take your mind off of food!
  • Lilflowr
    Lilflowr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    well..you are not alone in this....one saying that has helped me is: "anything you don't feed dies" ....so feeding the habit of bingeing makes it worse, keeps it alive...so anything, I mean anything...as long as its not eating, does not feed the binge and therefore it will die..and i like to remember, feelings are feelings and thoughts are thoughts....and thats all they are...not actions...
  • lord_lethris
    lord_lethris Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I log all my binge, I also make my friends log their binge. We still binge. But have cut it down to a few bickies with tea and compensate.

Log your binge :)

The theory is, if your disciplined enough to log your binge, then you have a physical record of where your going wrong. I find People tend to change if they can "SEE" their mistakes. As apposed to "knowing" about them, but pushing them to the back of the mind, where they get forgotten.

Slightly off topic, but a good example :-
    I started this diet because I had to for health reasons. Just 2 months in and you could see a difference, and I was feeling ALOT better. This friend of mine could "SEE" the difference it made too me in just a few months, and motivated this person into starting the same diet. The problem was subliminal "Habit Snacking" (fizzy drinks, sitting in front of the TV with a hand in a packet of crisps, fizzy drinks, finishing the kids food for them at fast food outlets so it didn't go to waste, fizzy drinks, eating portion sizes that could feed 3, fizzy drinks), but we made this person fill out the diary both GOOD and BAD, they could SEE where they needed to change, and have a reminder NOT to go back to the "snack". This person is starting to see results, not to mention gets nagged constantly by me to fill out the diary, and is now making room for more better changes now that they can SEE its working.

God, I waffle on a bit don’t I... :(
  • Issy90
    Issy90 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm the same, I'll be really good until a bad day.... and then I'll go out of my way to stuff my face with sugary, sweet foods!

I found it easiest to stop buying them. It's hard, but if they aren't in the house you can't eat it!

Most difficult at work/out with friends, because their sugary dessert smells so good!

Stay strong!
  • NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    you've lost loads of weight so why not try on some clothes that used to be too tight and marvel at the difference. Go through your wardrobe and get rid of things that are now too big. Just do anything to distract yourself and then reward yourself (without food) for getting past the craving.

It's so hard but distraction is often the best method. Like someone else said, the better you eat, the less cravings you have so this will get better with time. I'm finding now I've been a bit naughty lately and am having bad cravings but I know I'd be so angry with myself if I did eat that big bag of crisps I'm so desperate for.

Best of luck xx
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Distraction.
    Breaking the habit. You've always eaten out of boredom so your body and mind is programmed to do it.
    Go for a walk.
    Read a book.
    Take up a hobby that you can get lost in.

Craving is when you have a specific want. Hunger is when any food will fill the hole.
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am on the first day of trying to break the binging habit. Am just hoping I can stay focused.

All these posts have some good suggestions, I just have to try and stay in a positive mind set. That is going to be a difficult one for me.
  • ohsequin
    ohsequin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I am appalling for this and find it too easy to 'justify' why I am allowed to eat this stuff.
  • Carley0287
    Carley0287 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I want this to be my first day too. I am struggling with binging so much. I eat one bad thing and feel like a failure so instead of getting back on track I just give in and eat everything in sight, justyifying it by saying that I will start over tomorrow. I keep gaining weight and really need to break this vicious, disgusting cycle!
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    When I was with my x I was a 'graze binger' where every time I went to the fridge, or walked past it for that matter, I'd stuff myself with whatever I could before the 'open door' beeper went off. I'd even stick my head in there to save time and get more in.
    When I left my x and moved away I was sitting there in full swing about a month later with packets of everything sitting around my computer keyboard and crying into the packet of snowballs on my lap.
    I had to stop, Not just put it away but get away from the food all together. So I went on a walk. Just around the block but it was enough to get me away and break the need for it. I felt so sick I could barely walk up the stairs.
    Everytime I felt like I'd go back to the packets I'd leave the house with nothing more than phone and keys.
    It took about a month but it worked.
    It was hard as my housemate had such a crappy diet of chocolate, chips and lollies that this stuff was always there. She also didn't mind sharing as we went halves in the groceries.... where we bought all this crap.

Every day you don't binge is another step closer to stopping the habbit.
  • kittenmcgowan
    kittenmcgowan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice and support everyone! It's so lovely to know that people are experiencing the same cravings and BEATING THEM! Even if we don't ALWAYS win, to win most of the time, or even some of the time and keep on trying is what's most important I think.

I'm touched that so many ppl are so awesome!