What to eat before a workout?

Options
What do you eat if you workout first thing in the morning? I had a banana this morning about 20 minutes before. I did a 25 minute HIIT workout and 20 minutes of upper body. I feel okay. I am just one of those that likes to workout on an empty stomach, but I've been told that it's best to eat something before you workout, especially if you workout first thing in the am since it has been so long since you last ate.

Replies

• swolenbeast
    Options
    First thing in the morning I have a protein shake and a banana. I also have that pre workout or post workout.
  • swolenbeast
    Options
    Also need to mention they have done studies that prove you can burn more fat in the morning on a empty stomach. But you will also have people saying that's not true. Google it and see for your self.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Cardio I usually do fasting.

But if you are lifting weights protein beforehand do ur cardio after the weights.
  • ShaunaLouiseGetsFit
    Options
    try to eat something small, an hour, an hour and a half before a workout. give your body time to digest that food and drink plenty of water before a workout.

i do bootcamp at 10am on saturdays and at first i never ate before it and i felt sick and horrible now, i have a half of grapefruit and a class of water about 30 minutes before class and i feel great during the class and after it.

just eat something small and drink water and you will be okay :)
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't, if you workout fine fasted (on a empty stomach) then do it, I workout fasted all the time.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Something small and protein rich, like a bit of yogurt, small protein shake or a banana etc.
    Don't eat too much before workout, because you will be sick.

That you burn more fat on an empty stomach has been debunked by several science articles. If you exercise on an empty stomach, your body will get its energy from burning muscle before it will start to burn fat.
  • swolenbeast
    Options
    The studies I am speaking of are doing cardio on an empty stomach upon waking. This is a little different than working out in the afternoon on an empty stomach.