What do you do when you go to....

Options
a Mexican restaurant? What are the best choices you can make? Anyone know??

Thanks!

Susan

Replies

• bHealthy
    bHealthy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually get fajitas and use only one tortilla when I am counting calories.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is my favorite and I have been worried about that as well. I choose black beans instead of refried and opt out of the rice. As for the entree, fajitas are probably a good choice, lots of veggies and not covered in cheese.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My man and I share something called a CARNITA'S dinner. it is basically pulled pork... We also make sure that we separate it out so that we still take some home. I am a firm believer that you can still eat your favs, as long as you do it in moderation. WHICH is EASIER to do when you do it FIRST! So it is OUT OF SITE OUT OF MIND type of thing... So many people are afraid to ask for a to go box when they get to the table. OR they are afraid to ask for different things from the menu... DON'T BE, most waiters are USED to this practice by now.
  • DonnaWoodall
    Options
    Fajitas (chicken) and count out the chips onto your napkin
  • onichikun
    onichikun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from the chips as much as possible too. A few aren't bad, but if you are like me, if the chips with automatic refills are dangerous. I don't even realize how many chips I've eaten since the waiter(ess) keeps refilling them. So if I goto a mexican restaurant, I typically tell them to take the chips away!
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    Stay away from anything deep fried and loaded with sauce, cheese, sour cream. Eat half your meal, bag the rest home for lunch/dinner the next day. :)
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    No chips (which is a total killer), and I get molcajete with no cheese. It is a soup with beef and chicken, mushrooms, onion and green pepper. Its got a great flavor, mild spice and comes with rice and beans and tortillas so that you can spoon the mix into them and make tacos..I allow myself one tortilla to dip in the sauce and eat around the cheese on the beans. Don't touch the rice. I've also got carne asada before and cilantro shrimp.