More weight / more calories?

Options
When I imput that I walk for 60 minutes at a pace of 3.0 - it says I burned over 200 calories.
But when another person imputs the same pace but at a time of 15 minutes, they also burned over 200 calories.
Why is that person burning 200 calories in a fraction of the time it takes me?

Replies

• ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    do you also put in your height and weight. that could be the determining factor
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    do you also put in your height and weight. that could be the determining factor

Yes. I am 5'6.5" and weigh 158.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Add 40 lbs to your back. Will you burn more calories? Yep. Heavier people burn more calories because they carry more weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Add 40 lbs to your back. Will you burn more calories? Yep. Heavier people burn more calories because they carry more weight.

This ^^

It's the reason I bought a weighted vest for some exercises. I missed the higher burn I got before I lost weight.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a unit of energy.

If you move more weight, the same distance, in the same amount of time, you burn more energy...

so someone that weighs 200lbs, will burn more then someone that weighs 158. thats all.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Working at 70% of their maximum a group of 140 kg / 50% fat people used 668 calories/hr compared to the 515 calories/hour used by a group of 51kg / 23% fat people.

So it does take more effort with weight, but that doesn't mean the fat people can provide the extra.
  • christinacrisfield
    Options

This ^^

It's the reason I bought a weighted vest for some exercises. I missed the higher burn I got before I lost weight.

Ah, that's something to keep in mind. I may bring weights next time I run the track. Thanks.
  • Squamous1
    Squamous1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a chart of various exercises versus weight.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I find now Im much fitter and able to push myself more that I actually burn more then I did 20 kilos ago (i wear a HRM) but before that as i lost weight and the exercise was getting easier my burns were dropping considerably.
  • christinacrisfield
    Options
    Here's a link to a chart of various exercises versus weight.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm

Interesting! Thanks.
  • christinacrisfield
    Options
    I find now Im much fitter and able to push myself more that I actually burn more then I did 20 kilos ago (i wear a HRM) but before that as i lost weight and the exercise was getting easier my burns were dropping considerably.

Thanks, things make much more sense now.