Upping my calories/Advice?

Options
Morning all, I know this has been asked many,many, many times but I would be very grateful for just a little advice :)
Iv done some reading and I have decided to up my calories. I have worked out my figures and was hoping someone could confirm either way if my maths is correct? Many Thanks

Iv work out my BMR & TDEE as below
BMR 1589
TDEE 1907

I am 5'5" - 175lbs - age 27 - and work a desk job.

I am thinking of setting my calories at 1748. Which I believe is right between the above 2 figures.

Now when it comes to exercise, I use a heart rate monitor. When I log my exercise do I eat back the calories? or not?

Thank you x

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BMR 1589
    TDEE 1907

I am thinking of setting my calories at 1748. Which I believe is right between the above 2 figures.
    Now when it comes to exercise, I use a heart rate monitor. When I log my exercise do I eat back the calories? or not?

1907 is 1.2 times 1589 for sedentary. So the exercise is not included in your TDEE.

Eating 1750 is a deficit of 150 from 1900 which is pretty small, ie low loss rate, so I would take the benefit of exercise as extra deficit personally. There's a risk that your 150 deficit gets lost in the +/- 10% or worse accuracy of the BMR estimate

If you want to maintain the 150 deficit you chose then you would indeed "eat back" the correct exercise calories - which may be overestimated by an HRM which almost certainly includes the 1907 in what it reports for the time you exercise (gross vs net exercise calories).
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Morning all, I know this has been asked many,many, many times but I would be very grateful for just a little advice :)
    Iv done some reading and I have decided to up my calories. I have worked out my figures and was hoping someone could confirm either way if my maths is correct? Many Thanks

BMR 1589
    TDEE 1907

Our height and weight are the same. I also work a desk job. My calores are set at 1700 a day and I have been losing steady. I mainly see it in inches. Good luck to you!

Thank you x
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Our height and weight are the same. I also work a desk job. My calores are set at 1700 a day and I have been losing steady. I mainly see it in inches. Good luck to you!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've just started the same thing - setting my calories at the midpoint of my BMR and TDEE. For now, I'm using my ex cals as a buffer and not eating them most days. If that doesn't work, I'll switch it up. Try different methods and see what works for you. Good luck!
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ok , Im currently eating 1350-1400 per day, should I just stay at this intake to continue weightloss?
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you are losing, stay where you are. If you aren't losing, try upping it. It may take time to figure it all out. I know the website www.scoobysworkshop.com has a great calculator. Good luck!
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6.5" and weight 158. Depending on my work schedule I am either active all day or sitting all day. When I was 30 pounds heavier I was eating 1200 calories a day. Now that I am less than 20 pounds away from my goals I increased by calories to 1460 - based on losing one pound per week using MFP calculation. The reason I increased my calories is because I have been feeling very hungry lately. But also because I have been retraining myself on portions. I not only want to get to 140 pounds but I want to stay at that weight for the rest of my life. Some days I eat my exercise calories and some days I don't. And what has been helpful for me, is I only eat when I am hungry or my sugar levels drop below 80 (I'm a diabetic).
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ok, iv decided to add on 100 calories per day , some weeks I lose more than others but these are the ones when I do 3 or more days exersising.
    I was going to the gym today but I was up for 2 hrs last night vomiting and still feel pretty ick today. Hoping a day of rest and a good nights sleep will have me back on the ball tomorrow.

Thanks everyone