I don't get it!! Help?!

Options
For 3 weeks I have completely changed my way of doing things. I decided to eat better, exercise, track calories etc...
I have been tracking calories, drinking plenty of water, avoiding my favorites like pizza and eating more salads.
I have been going to boot camp 2x a week and kicboxing once a week. 3 days a week, I do cardio at home (treadmill, spinning bike, elliptical, mountain biking etc.. ). I am working out 6x a week doing this. I have been under my calorie goal every day.

Doing this, these are the results I have tracked.
Week 1: Lost 2 pounds
Week 2: Lost .6 pounds
Week 3: GAINED 1.4 pounds

Ok so I know, it's not the scale... I am likely turning fat to muscle. However my measurements aren't changing too fast either. I actually have two tapes that are both half an inch of from each other... I prefer to use the smaller measurements.

I am feeling better about myself. I feel like there is a physical difference, but the scale and tape show different.

It's so frustrating. How can eating right and doing cardio/strength 6x a week not be enough? I am at wits end.

Suggestions anyone???

Replies

• conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if you have water weight? If it is new--drinking more water--then maybe the weight gain is water.

Also, how about salty food?

Keep posting until people respond--Once you start getting responses, you will be able to learn a little more.

Focus on the positive--You are making healthy choices! and keep with up with it!
  • jle78
    jle78 Posts: 7
    Options
    I think over the weeks you'll see gain & loss _ I certainly did. It can be down to anything really - food still in your digestive system, water retention, time of the month... Keep at it - it sounds like the diet & exercise are pretty full on & I'm sure you'll soon start seeing results. It took me 9 months to lose 2 stone...
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have been at this now for seven months and have had lots of success. All I can say is your weight goes up and down, it is not an exact science, as much as we all wish it was.

Persevere, keep doing the right things, continue to learn more about what will work for you, and most of all enjoy the journey - don't let stress derail the process.

Good luck with it.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Since your diet is private tough to give any advice there but since you are over 40 there is a plethora of reasons. Weight fluctuates on it's own, water retention, regularity, exercise, a hard day of yard work, too much sodium. There are lots of reasons for it to fluctuate, 6 lbs in a week is a lot so some of that might have been water and you got some rebound gain as your water levels reset. Need to stick with it more than 3 weeks to say yea or nay or start tweaking, need to be patient.
  • applepielady
    Options
    The weight gain you see there is probably muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and you are certainly working out and getting fit. I wouldn't worry at all. Just keep doing what you are doing and the pounds and inches will come off. Watch for your clothing to fit differently instead of focusing on the scales too much. Not saying don't weigh but just to also keep an eye on how your clothes are fitting and you will probably see some positive changes in the way they fit and feel. Keep it up and don't give up!
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that a lifetime of not-so-great eating and exercise habits cannot be undone in three weeks. Work this program, and, ultimately, you should be able to meet your goal. But, "patience" and "perseverence" are the buzz words. Also, you have been working very hard, but you can't white-knuckle this. Be careful not to deprive yourself completely of what you want to eat or over-exercise. It's not sustainable over the long haul. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride!:flowerforyou:
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the body has to get new things,like eating a different way,plus i believe it's water weight just keep at it,you will see results soon.
  • skimbrough28
    skimbrough28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not to have a Too Much Information (TMI) moment but.....It takes a while. Everybody's body is different. Years ago (unfortunately I backslid) I lost tons of weight but it seemed like it was overnight to others. However, I was working out everyday while I was away at college, walking to and from campus daily, and drinking lots of water. I worked out for six months with only a 3-6 pound drop. Then, one day I woke up and was 30 pounds lighter overnight! The reason I know is due to my asthma and other health issues (PCOS) I was required by the university hospital to check in with the doctor once a month (they were monitoring an ovarian cyst they found). My hard work had paid off. Yet, although I am overweight, I am active and a nutritionist once told me it would be harder for me to lose weight compared to a person who is just is a couch potato or not very active. As soon as that not very active person adds any activity to their day, they seem to drop weight very quickly...(you hear these success stories all the time at WW meetings). However, people that are overweight but were once athletic, or move around in their daily routines (teachers,nurses,etc), it make take an higher level of consistent activity for them to drop weight.
  • skimbrough28
    skimbrough28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You also have to make sure your workouts increase in repetitions and weights. You cant do the same thing everyday at the same rep level and weight. your body loses fat due to the shock to your system..once it adjust to the workout..it adjust. Every few weeks (2/3) you should increase your reps by 5 and keep a little notepad by you when you work out. For example, if you do 20 leg presses using both legs at ten pounds for two weeks, then once it becomes a little easier for your body to do that exercise you should either increase the weights, the number of repetitions, or both. My nutritionist/ trainer also said that all of our bodies have a cap. So, somehow our bodies are wired to trigger an alarm within itself that may not let you lose more than a certain amount of weight in a week...think back to when you had a weight that your body wouldn't let you pass....mine was 187 pounds. I stayed at 187 pounds for years, however one day, my body let me go past that number , and when it did, it seems like it became to easy for me to gain weight. I think our bodies do the same thing in reverse for weight loss...... it may not let you lose more than 5-6 pounds for a few weeks, but once it does, you may see bigger weight loss numbers. I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • _Mary_L
    _Mary_L Posts: 18
    Options
    could you be getting close to "those" days of the month?
    are you eating WAY under you recommended calories?
    do you have your calories tracker set to show you the amount of sodium you are eating?
    are you checking your weight at the same time?
    not to be too personal but, are your bm regular?

those are some of the factors that come to my mind....
    don't give up... and you will see the results...
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Three weeks is simply not long enough to see the sort of changes you're looking for. The human body is capable of living for a hundred years; from that perspective, three weeks is nothing. It might feel like an eternity for us, but in terms of physical effect, it's just not long enough to induce a permanent change. Your body adapts slowly; consistency is important in training yourself as to what is the new normal.

Weight loss is not a linear process; sometimes weight goes up, sometimes it goes down, sometimes it stays the same. There are many factors that affect the number on the scale. The short-term fluctuations are largely meaningless. It's the trend over time that's important. So in your case, don't look at it as, "I lost weight and then I gained some again," but instead as, "In 3 weeks, I've lost weight." You weigh less than you used to and that's exactly what you were aiming for, so it looks like a success to me.

Don't think of weight loss as your goal. Instead view it as one of many effects of your lifestyle. I ask myself, "If I were already healthy and at my goal weight, what would I be doing?" I make choices as though I am already where I want to be and my body responds by getting me closer to that goal.
  • geogal95
    geogal95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I ask each of you to friend request me as I can really use your support.

To answer some questions... I don't have "that time of the month" as I had a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago.
    I have a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Subway for lunch typically (salad or turkey on wheat - a "Jared" sub), and for dinner it varies, usually something quick like a frozen meal (I only cook for 2), but I make sure the calorie count is within my limits for the day. It's not typically a meat/potatoes dinner. For snacks, I have a granola bar or similiar during the day and a 100 cal ice cream bar in the evening. I don't eat much sodium at all. I try to have something to eat every 3 hrs or so, and I don't eat after 7pm. I check my weight/measurements every Monday morning and track them.

It seems to me like I am doing things right. It just makes me want to throw up my arms in disgust and say why bother. But I know that is not the smart choice, so I won't. But when you put in so much work, you expect to see results.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It seems to me like I am doing things right. It just makes me want to throw up my arms in disgust and say why bother. But I know that is not the smart choice, so I won't. But when you put in so much work, you expect to see results.
    That's the thing though: you are seeing results. You just don't think they're good enough. You've lost 1.2 pounds. That is not bad, nor is it nothing. If the point is to lose weight, then congratulations, you've succeeded.

You will make yourself miserable trying to dictate things you can't control, not just in terms of weight loss, but in life generally. You can control whether you will become healthier or less healthy, but you can't control how long it takes or at what rate it occurs. Do what you are able to do and see what happens. Anything else is just piling on stress and guilt that you don't deserve.
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you're eating subway for lunch and frozen dinners you are getting lots of sodium.

If you are working out 6 days a week I'd say with out a doubt it's water retention especially if you weren't working out much in the past. I'd back off a little and shoot for 4-5 days a week, add strength training and give it time. It will work.

Also, when are you weighing yourself? I can weigh 5-6 lbs more in the evening compared to when I first get up.
  • mawilczak
    Options
    I know this may sound crazy, but maybe you need more food. I have been reading articles and more than one have stated that we don't eat enough when we work out. Also, they say we consume too much sugar found in healthy breads, whole wheat pasta, even yogurt.
    You are doing an amazing job-keep up the fabulous work!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Check your nutrition stats in your diary - Subway and those "healthy" meals are loaded with sodium - which bring on bloating and water retention.

Take a week without those things. Try a salad for lunch with tuna or chicken in it. Breakfast - have some oatmeal - I used to HATE oatmeal, but found Kashi honey and cinnamon... wow!! Amazingly good!!

For dinner, have a lean meat, veggies and a salad.

Snacks - yogurt, nuts, carrots - things that are all natural. Avoid the processed foods, as they have so much sodium in them its crazy. Take 2 weeks off from the Subway and packaged foods -keep exercising, but throw in a little strength traiing as well (free weights, lunges, squats, etc) and check and see if there is a difference.

Good job on tracking measurements as well!! Those can be hugely important once you hit a stall!
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Remember

5lbs of fat takes up almost as much room as 3 grapefruit
    5lbs of muscle takes up almost as much room as 3 tangerines!

the scale doesn't reflect your bodies changes :)
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Check your nutrition stats in your diary - Subway and those "healthy" meals are loaded with sodium - which bring on bloating and water retention.

Take a week without those things. Try a salad for lunch with tuna or chicken in it. Breakfast - have some oatmeal - I used to HATE oatmeal, but found Kashi honey and cinnamon... wow!! Amazingly good!!

For dinner, have a lean meat, veggies and a salad.

Snacks - yogurt, nuts, carrots - things that are all natural. Avoid the processed foods, as they have so much sodium in them its crazy. Take 2 weeks off from the Subway and packaged foods -keep exercising, but throw in a little strength traiing as well (free weights, lunges, squats, etc) and check and see if there is a difference.

Good job on tracking measurements as well!! Those can be hugely important once you hit a stall!

^^^This! Also, 3 weeks is a really short time to decide if it is working or not. Remember, it took a lot longer than 3 weeks to become over weight. I know it is hard, but you need to be patient and consistent.
  • Filomenaaa
    Filomenaaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Seems like its all the salt! If you are able, try cooking fresh everything this way you can control your sodium intake. And dont give it up! It takes time
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I ask each of you to friend request me as I can really use your support.

To answer some questions... I don't have "that time of the month" as I had a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago.
    I have a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Subway for lunch typically (salad or turkey on wheat - a "Jared" sub), and for dinner it varies, usually something quick like a frozen meal (I only cook for 2), but I make sure the calorie count is within my limits for the day. It's not typically a meat/potatoes dinner. For snacks, I have a granola bar or similiar during the day and a 100 cal ice cream bar in the evening. I don't eat much sodium at all. I try to have something to eat every 3 hrs or so, and I don't eat after 7pm. I check my weight/measurements every Monday morning and track them.

Check the sodium and the carbohydrates - what do you mean by a bowl of cereal 40g, 100g or more? Maybe, replace half the cereal by low fat yogurt? My issue was I had a bowl of cereal in the morning too - except my bowl was 500+ kcals.

Frozen meals are often full of salt.