Logging food on a flight...help!

Options
I'm flying from UK to Abu Dhabi in a couple of weeks and will be given meals on the flight as it is 7 hours. Has anyone on here logged plane food before? If so, how and what did you log?

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Contact the airline; they should be able to give you the nutritional information.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You can also take some of the guesswork out of it by packing a few snacks that you like; jerkey, protein bars, baby carrots, an apple, etc.

If you are concerned about the actual logging of the food during the flight, just jot it down in a notebook and do it when you land.
  • elinakalna
    Options
    Most airlines offer food for special diets, like halal, vegetarian, low sodium, low fat, hindu etc.
    Check on airline website, there should be information on what meals they offer and how to choose your preferences
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I took my own food with me.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Anything above 10,000 feet doesn't count. Something about gravity.
  • Nyranee
    Nyranee Posts: 57
    Options
    you can pre-order seafood, or diet food if it's Etihad ... other than this I would roughly assume the calories.
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot and have done a variety of things, the best is to take my own food as what they serve tastes horrid anyway. I have also guesstimated cals in the meals, logged on my iphone(put it in comments if not showing on fav lists), changed my meal order to fruit platter only or just thrown caution to the wind and not logged at all. What I've found is that when I travel I never lose weight but I don't put on either, so I'm happy enough with that and just not worry about it
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Anything above 10,000 feet doesn't count. Something about gravity.

i saw this on dr. oz.
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm flying from UK to Abu Dhabi in a couple of weeks and will be given meals on the flight as it is 7 hours. Has anyone on here logged plane food before? If so, how and what did you log?

I travel loads (actually based in Abu Dhabi) - I use the low calorie meal option on my flights... your brave coming out here when it is seriously like sitting inside an oven! :big smile:
  • BitteOrca
    BitteOrca Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! Flying on a 12 hr flight in 2 weeks and just changed my meal option to vegetarian since usually those are healthier meal options. Maybe check to see if your airline offers this too? I noticed a huge array of other options--lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant, hindu vegetarian...pretty impressive!
  • lucindapc
    Options
    'Anything above 10,000 feet doesn't count. Something about gravity.' That's the best answer for anything I've ever seen!
    And Taz3980, I've been out and come back, it was far too hot, I've been out in both April and December also and I'll say April is the best time to go.

Thanks for everyones help! Luckily I flew with British Airways so the food was stuff I recognised and could easily log!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I've been on flights from the UK to the US where I've spent 8 hours on an empty stomach because the very SMELL of that food makes me feel sick. XD Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Write down the food. Guesstimate the portion size. Look them up in the database. Log them.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Some of the airline foods are listed in the calculator.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I travel across Australia pretty regularly so I have a standard Qantas meal saved in "my meals". It's a generic chicken curry and white rice, cheese and crackers and red wine (gotta love flights with free wine!). Usually I add this ahead of time so I can see how my day is looking, then just use my iPhone in aeroplane mode to change it to beef casserole/pasta or whatever. You don't get the full database in offline mode, but there are enough to take a guess.
    Just treat it like any other meal where you don't have nutritional info.

And a handy hint for anyone who flies Qantas - don't get the vege meals, they seem to have two standard vege meals and they are both nasty!