How do you drink 8 glasses of water a day??

Options

Replies

• sharonf1983
    sharonf1983 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i drink one glass when i get up, one mid morning,one just before lunch, one with lunch, one before and one with dinner, i have one early evening and i always carry a bottle of water to sip throughout the day.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by this too- how big (small) is a 'glass' anyway? Do other beverages (that must also contain water) count?
    Per day should I drink 1/2/3/4 litres? Ideally.
    And when I exercise I sweat a lot and so I drink water to rehydrate but should that water count or not- as I've sweated it off?

Not a natural water drinker - prefer it mixed with something or tea/coffee - but willing to try if I knew what to aim for. Thank you.

*I'm confused by this too- how big (small) is a 'glass' anyway? --8oz

*Do other beverages (that must also contain water) count? --Yes, unless they contain a lot of sugar/sodium

*Per day should I drink 1/2/3/4 litres? Ideally. --Some people argue at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces, at least 64 ounces a day.

*And when I exercise I sweat a lot and so I drink water to rehydrate but should that water count or not- as I've sweated it off? --It can count, however you should look at it more as a "replenishment". Shoot for 64 ounces a day as a start.

*Not a natural water drinker - prefer it mixed with something or tea/coffee - but willing to try if I knew what to aim for. --Crystal light is a way to help get water in... it's how I trained my body to get used to drinking so much. Was able to wean myself off of it and now I now drink just water all day.
  • jen_bd6
    Options
    I use a water bottle that holds 4 servings...drinking 2 of those doesn't seem like as much of a task. Same amount, just a mind trick thing, I guess.

Totally agree with you :) I do the same thing... :wink:
  • Kalola11
    Kalola11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have found that the more I drink, the more I want. I can throw down a 16 oz bottle in one go these days. Four of those and you've got it! I keep a full glass (24 oz) at my desk. LaCroix sparking is also a nice change and feels like a treat. Not to expensive either (ala Perrier).
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking a lot of other fluids, then you don't need to drink an additional eight cups of water; that amount is total intake from everything you eat and drink over the course of a day. So if you drink lots of other things (juice, coffee, soda, etc.) you're probably not drinking too little for that minimum measurement. However, I've heard a lot of people say that they feel better upping their intake of plain water, so it's probably not a bad idea.

As for how, you might try just filling a bottle and keeping it with you all day (on your desk at work, at the gym, on the couch at home, etc.). Honestly, I've never had a problem with it (I've been up for an hour and had 48 ounces so far) so I can't really help with why it's hard for you, but it doesn't have to be daunting. Think of it this way; if you need eight cups per day and you sleep for eight hours a night, that means you only have to drink half a cup of water each hour that you're awake. Go look at a measuring cup; that's barely anything at all. If you just sip it throughout the day, it shouldn't be too hard to drink it.
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    i HATE water. hate hate hate. i have a "big gulp" from wendy's that holds 4 cups. after i have my breakfast and coffee, i down it. i sit and drink it ALL. after lunch and dinner, i do the same, force it down. and right before bed is another. which means i pee at some point in the middle of the night.... but whatever. when i workout, i drink one during and after.

so most days i get 16-20 glasses of water. i hate water. and for a LONG time i wasn't drinking hardly any. but TRUST ME, your scale will thank you if you start drinking enough water, flushes out all the sodium!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I stopped worrying about drinking ridiculous amounts of water, after I went a few months doing so, and the only thing different was the number of times I hit the restroom.

I drink my coffee, I drink when I'm thirsty. I'll drink a litte more to hydrate before a run. Beyond that, I don't worry about it.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    you just do...
  • Kathryn285
    Kathryn285 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink a tall glass first thing in the morning, and then I keep a litre bottle near me at work. I talk a lot during the day and I get parched... having the water with me is awesome! I easily drink 1 bottle at work, and then I have a tall glass with each meal. It goes pretty well if you spread it out.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by this too- how big (small) is a 'glass' anyway? Do other beverages (that must also contain water) count?
    And when I exercise I sweat a lot and so I drink water to rehydrate but should that water count or not- as I've sweated it off?

Not a natural water drinker - prefer it mixed with something or tea/coffee - but willing to try if I knew what to aim for. Thank you.

*Do other beverages (that must also contain water) count? --Yes, unless they contain a lot of sugar/sodium

*Per day should I drink 1/2/3/4 litres? Ideally. --Some people argue at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces, at least 64 ounces a day.

*And when I exercise I sweat a lot and so I drink water to rehydrate but should that water count or not- as I've sweated it off? --It can count, however you should look at it more as a "replenishment". Shoot for 64 ounces a day as a start.

*Not a natural water drinker - prefer it mixed with something or tea/coffee - but willing to try if I knew what to aim for. --Crystal light is a way to help get water in... it's how I trained my body to get used to drinking so much. Was able to wean myself off of it and now I now drink just water all day.

Thank you for answering.
    And not telling me I was over-thinking it all :)
    They were just questions that kept popping into my head every time I logged in a glass.
    I do think I am drinking enough over the day - just that very little of it is as natural water.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, first, everything you drink that isn't hard liquor counts toward the water requirement.

As for how much? Drink when you are thirsty, stop when you aren't. Simple.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The 8 glasses of water should be treated as a rule of thumb, not an absolute minimum. It's one of those diet 'facts' that have become common knowledge, yet most people, even nutritionists, can't tell you where it originated.

I've always treated it like BMI - it's probably a good average for large populations, but doesn't necessarily apply to every individual. Personally, I drink way more than 8 glasses per day. I've always drank large amounts of water as long as I can remember. It's 9am right now, and I've already had at least 6. If I only drank 8 I'd feel dehydrated.

One thing to remember is that when they say '8 glasses' they mean 8 eight ounce glasses (8 cups, or around 2 litres). Most glasses that people use are larger than that.

Try having 1 glass when you get up, 1 before bed, and 1 glass before each meal. Like others have mentioned, keep a bottle on your desk and sip thoughout the day. Spread out over the entire day it's not really that difficult to get 8 glasses. Try it for awhile, and if you still find it to be too much, then don't drink that much. You know your body - maybe 6 glasses per day is fine for you.
  • jen_bd6
    Options

Thank you for answering.
    And not telling me I was over-thinking it all :)
    They were just questions that kept popping into my head every time I logged in a glass.
    I do think I am drinking enough over the day - just that very little of it is as natural water.

coffee, crystal light, sugar free drinks can all be counted as water. It's always best to try to drink as much plain water as possible because your kidneys don't have to work as hard to filter it, but if you absolutely CAN'T drink that much water, you can count some of the other stuff toward your daily total. The "8 glasses" is just a basic minimum and shouldn't be held as a definite rule. Everyone's body is different, but the basic point of it all is that your body needs water, so you should hydrate it. You will find that by drinking enough water, it also helps with appetite, and weightloss/maintaining said loss because it helps your body flush the toxins out. :) You are doing fine and it's never a bad thing to ask questions... how else would you get the information? :) Best of luck to you :wink:
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have no problems drinking eight glasses or more of water during the day. Usually, I drink much more than that.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I make sure I have 4x 32 oz bottles of water in the fridge every night before I go to bed. I almost always have to refill all of them every day. And that's just on an average day when I'm not spending much time at home.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    most bottle water has 16 or 22 ounces. i'll drink 2 reg bottles of water and a 64 oz of walmart flavored water. plus you retain water from food as well if you eat a lot of fruit or lettuce.
  • njauatin
    njauatin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I only drink water. Its easy to get it down when you don't have any other options.
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    I'm at the computer a tonnnnn so i'm in one place a lot. I just stick 4 16.9oz water bottles in the fridge and take one out, sip on it mindlessly haha, maybe add some crystal light to one c: and when i finish one, i make sure to get another, and i let them collect next to me so i can see how many i drank/have left. It is the only way I can do it. I'm actually drinking 5 a day now : D( that is 10 cups a day!) I used to have a horrible water drinking habit where I wouldnt drink water for days, just because i forget about it, and once i got a certain stomach ache, that is when i'd finally drink some water >.<
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options

By "glass" they mean cup, and by cup, they mean 8 oz xD

Some people count coffee and tea and stuff as water, but it is probably better if it is just plain old water. It just depends on your opinion.
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for skipping to the end to tell my story.

You just have to find what works for you. I cannot drink water through a straw or a glass glass. It had to be ice cold. It has to go with me everywhere. I started with half frozen water bottles. That was a hard habit to get into but I had about 4 bottles freezing in there at a time. Then they started to sweat everywhere so I switched to cups with ice and looked into the bottles. The only one I've found I like, that suits all my needs, is only sold at wal mart. Double lined, no straw, holds a lot, fits in my car cup holder. My ice machine can't keep up in the summer. It helps there is an ice maker at work. I have 2 and I carry one everywhere. Into stores and people's houses, sometimes restaurants because I don't realize I'm still holding it.