Confused.com 1200 cals??

Options
Hoping some of you can shed some light for me here!!

I have been losing fairly steadily since early June and have now lost 25lbs.

I have gone from 212 - 187lbs adding exercise to my lifestyle and eating cleanly, with reduced portion sizes ( I used to eat like it was going out of fashion!) whilst trying to aim for the 1200 cal a day intake mfp suggested at the start.

I eat back my calories and exercise by using dumbells, walking cycling on my stationary bike and using Wii Fitness Coach.

But wham! It''s been suggested I am just not eating enough.... and if I am honest although I feel healthier (and have noticed a little weight loss visually) I am eating rabbit food for most of the day then trying to have a proper dinner at night.

I just feel that sometimes I am still a little hungry BUT I have always wanted to take an 'everything I fancy in moderation' approach to my weightloss since I joined mfp which has produced my best weight loss to date and stops me denying myself the things I love which had been torture on previous 'diets'.....

What on earth should I be doing now? What should my calorie intake be? Is my deficit too much?

HELP!

I will love you forever if you do :):)

Many thanks in advance

Elaine x x :)

ps... feel free to add me, nosey at my profile, whatever it takes!!

x

Replies

• jle78
    jle78 Posts: 7
    Options
    I would try to eat balanced, small meals throughout the day to stop yourself from feeling hungry, instead of starving yourself all day and then eating a large dinner. I'd also not eat back the calories gained from exercise - eat 1200 (or whatever your goal per day is) regardless of whether you've exercised.

Try also cutting down on refined foods and anything ready-made (lots of salt & sugar) - you could try boiled potatoes instead of pasta or bread for a lower calorie carb.

Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    "It's been suggested" that you're not eating enough - by who?
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    have you put that your excerising on your profile on MFP? i would then you will have a higher calorie intake, as you need to fuel your body :)
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I 'm at 175 right now and I'm eating between 1200 and 1400 usually. This calculator will let you know an approximation of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, so you can get an idea of if you're really too low and need to up your goal a little. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ The calculator told me to aim for 1600, but since I have grain allergies, that is asking a bit much on most days. Personally, I was dragging a little energy-wise when I stuck to 1200 all the time, but having an occasional 1400 day balanced me out.
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi, I honestly think that while 1200 calories can and may work for some women, that if you actually plan on having a healthy life style (ie Working out, staying active and moving constantly) That you should really evaluate your situation.

I have recieved lots and lots of advice and while some of it was not so good, there was this one person, an army dietitian that told me this. Take your goal weight, mine being 210 pounds with 14% bf and mutliply that by 11.36, this is no magic number. I didnt just pull this number out of no where.

The number system works like this, for every pound you weigh, your body uses approximately 10-12 calories per day for women, and 12-14 calories for men. I took 11.36 because im trying for a more lean body. So I currently weigh in at 225 pounds, my goal weight being 210x11.36 = 2385 (rounded off)

In order to get to and sustain my goal weight 210 pounds, I can, key word being can, eat to 2385 calories. Now to sustain my weight at the weight that im at 225 pounds its something like 2500 calories.

There are 2 different approaches you can use. MFP suggests creating a deficit with diet, which works. The approach that I use however, is to eat to 2385 calories, and create a 500 calorie deficit by exercising, so all and all at the end of said day, im eating to 2385 calories - 500 from working out - the 125 ish calories that I already am not eating to sustain my current weight.

There by creating a deficit of close to 600-700 calories a good 1 - 1.3 pound of fat lost per week.

Whilst eating within my macro range, (most the time) cause face it who hits perfect every day.

My macros are as follows 35% protein 40 % carbs 25% fats, 2500 mg Sodium 4700 mg potassium, sugar i dont worry about because my sugar all comes from fruit sources. fiber and all the other macros come in where ever. not really a huge goal for me, as long as i hit the above.

You may want to try this approach, because when i first started i did the 2 pounds of weight lost per week and was eating something like 1640 calories, then when i tried to exercise i was too weak and never had a good work out, because my body wasnt properly fueled.

If you have any questions feel free to inbox me. And good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat balanced, small meals throughout the day to stop yourself from feeling hungry, instead of starving yourself all day and then eating a large dinner. I'd also not eat back the calories gained from exercise - eat 1200 (or whatever your goal per day is) regardless of whether you've exercised.

Try also cutting down on refined foods and anything ready-made (lots of salt & sugar) - you could try boiled potatoes instead of pasta or bread for a lower calorie carb.

Good luck!

This may be the right answer for you, but it may not. Everyone is different. I lose weight steadily if I eat a "net" of about 1500. I tried eating only 1200 cals in a day and exercising and I felt weak and crappy all day. My workouts were not nearly as effective as they could have been and every morning I woke up dizzy. Also, when I say net, I mean that I eat 1500 plus at least some of what I burn. So some days I eat over 2000 calories.

I don't do this because of "starvation mode" or "fat storage" myths. I do this because it works for me. You really just have to find what works for you. I know that I am happy losing at 0.5-1 lb per week and having my calorie intake at a place where I feel healthy, energetic, and awake. Having said all of this, based on http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator my TDEE is 1863.

I'd suggest you try out a few of the calculator sites that people have suggested and come up with a TDEE value for yourself. Then look to eat about 20% less than that number. You can set your own goals in MFP so it suits your needs. Feel free to add me if you want more info!
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    my TDEE is 1865. i eat right at 1200 calories a day, and on the 4-5 days a week i work out, i eat back SOME of them (my burn is low, 2-300 calories). i am steadily losing 1-1.5 pounds a week, and have been since march.

this may not work for everyone... but IMO, people who do not have a bunch to lose do better eating more, but those of us that have bigger amounts of weight to lose seem to do fine on 1200 cals. i do plan to bump up my calories when i'm down to like 10 pounds to lose, so eating at maintenance ins't a shock to my body.

i try and eat like you do, 2-300 calories for breakfast and lunch, and a "regular" dinner with the family. most days even when i don't work out, i try and save 1-200 calories for an after dinner snack. if you are still a bit hungry, eat a low calorie snack after dinner. i prefer plums, but sometimes apples or even a bit of fat free ice cream. ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi, I honestly think that while 1200 calories can and may work for some women, that if you actually plan on having a healthy life style (ie Working out, staying active and moving constantly) That you should really evaluate your situation.

I have recieved lots and lots of advice and while some of it was not so good, there was this one person, an army dietitian that told me this. Take your goal weight, mine being 210 pounds with 14% bf and mutliply that by 11.36, this is no magic number. I didnt just pull this number out of no where.

The number system works like this, for every pound you weigh, your body uses approximately 10-12 calories per day for women, and 12-14 calories for men. I took 11.36 because im trying for a more lean body. So I currently weigh in at 225 pounds, my goal weight being 210x11.36 = 2385 (rounded off)

In order to get to and sustain my goal weight 210 pounds, I can, key word being can, eat to 2385 calories. Now to sustain my weight at the weight that im at 225 pounds its something like 2500 calories.

There are 2 different approaches you can use. MFP suggests creating a deficit with diet, which works. The approach that I use however, is to eat to 2385 calories, and create a 500 calorie deficit by exercising, so all and all at the end of said day, im eating to 2385 calories - 500 from working out - the 125 ish calories that I already am not eating to sustain my current weight.

There by creating a deficit of close to 600-700 calories a good 1 - 1.3 pound of fat lost per week.

Whilst eating within my macro range, (most the time) cause face it who hits perfect every day.

My macros are as follows 35% protein 40 % carbs 25% fats, 2500 mg Sodium 4700 mg potassium, sugar i dont worry about because my sugar all comes from fruit sources. fiber and all the other macros come in where ever. not really a huge goal for me, as long as i hit the above.

You may want to try this approach, because when i first started i did the 2 pounds of weight lost per week and was eating something like 1640 calories, then when i tried to exercise i was too weak and never had a good work out, because my body wasnt properly fueled.

If you have any questions feel free to inbox me. And good luck with your weight loss journey.

Multiplying 11.36 by my goal weight brings me at my exact net calorie goal. That's cool. :smile:
  • apom36
    apom36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to eat "cleaner". My goal is 1200 calories as well, however; sometimes 1200 just isn't enough, it's really not that much. Most nutritionist's would say to eat atleast 1200-1600 calories per day. If I'm still hungry, and as long as I'm eating healthy I will go over my 1200 without feeling guilty. 1200 is not a lot of food, and I'm not a rabbit!! Sure, at first, you will lose faster, but if it's not comfortable, and you are hungry, eat closer to 1500-1600 on some days!! You will still lose at a healthy rate.
  • Jaspr7
    Jaspr7 Posts: 8
    Options
    I too have been wrestling with the 1200 calorie recommendation by MFP.com and the warning that I am in danger of sending my body into starvation mode. I wonder if age is a factor. I'm 67, have a fairly irregular exercise regimen because of my work and various physical issues, and I feel just fine on less than 1200 calories--sometimes quite a few less. Besides, apparently there is some research that shows living on reduced calories and a healthy diet can prolong life.