Best All-Around Strength Training?

Options
This is a serious question. My intent is not to offend anyone based on the choices they make personally. I am not an expert on this topic, just sharing some perceptions and asking for thoughtful comments and any research/back-up that might be available. I am new to strength training - since about Feb/March. I started at a gym, with a dumbbell and body weight plan put together by a trainer. I switched that out for Kettlebells (Sarah Lurie - Iron Core) in June. I'm trying to decide what I like best, and what will give me more benefits. Should I stick with KB....or maybe try something like Stronglifts 5X5?

My goals are to get full-body workouts in a shorter period of time (I will never fall into the "day one is arms and back, day two is legs", type schedule); get leaner; get stronger all over.

Lifting weights - I know I'll never get "bulky" not worried about that. Loved how quickly I saw definition...and progressing every week or so to more reps/heavier weight.

Kettlebell - I feel more active during the workout...I can work my entire body in about 30 mins. Feel like I'm improving in areas other than strength, such as balance and flexibility. I find it harder to advance to more weight though.

Do you think that lifting weights really makes you strong in ways other than just being able to lift more weight? Kettlebell feels more well-rounded to me, but it's hard to see progression, and that's such a big motivator. Any benefit differences between dumbbell or barbell workouts?

I know it really boils down to what I like better and can stick with; and if I'm continuing to see results. What do you all think? What do you like best, and why?

Thanks all! :smile:

Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Honestly its not what is better, but what you feel suits you better and your exercises. One might like the kettle bells for some exercises while free weights are better for other exercises, its all in the comfort of how you feel when doing your exercises. For me, I prefer free weights compared to kettle bells because I have been lifting/exercising since I was 12 with them, so I am most comfortable with them and the exercises I do. Do not get me wrong if I want to try something new then i will use kettle bells incorporated into some new exercises. Other people on the other hand love kettle bells because they give them an all around workout and their exercises are geared towards them. So all in all its up to you to continue to use what you feel is comfortable and necessary unless it is honestly hurting you physically! :smile:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Well the biggest factor for choosing an exercise regime is what your goals are. As far as lifting heavy goes, it is the best for making you look good naked, making you stronger, increasing bone density, it probably does build mental fortitude to a degree when you can bring yourself to squat and deadlift heavy, etc. So, if any of those are in your list of goals, I'd say go for it. I am biased though. I think every human physically capable should lift.