Saggy Armpits

Options
Hello

I have saggy armpits, I am 25 bmi so not massively overweight (it all gathers on my stomach) my arms are quite slim but the sagging under my armpits really annoys me and makes me concious of showing them restricting what I can wear.

I am currently trying to lose weight to get my bmi down but I wondered what exercises will be best to reduce the armpit area

I swim 3 times a week and go to the gym 3 times a week.

Thanks

Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    honestly that is one of the hardest areas to work on, I would suggest push-ups, swimming is good (already doing it), curls, preacher curls, pull-ups, and rows. Those are some that you can use to try to correct that, however your one of the first people to express this concern haha
  • Nicelshe
    Nicelshe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks kgprice11

I am sure lots of women have this concern but just dont say it lol!!!!

I will try what you suggested :-)
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, too.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I do tricep dips, skullcrushers, rows, and push ups. It "seeeeeeeeems" to be working.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That is one of the hardest places to get rid of fat! I do push ups and tricep dips and other tricep exercises. Good luck! I feel your pain:)
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Tricep dips and the thing where you hold the weight behind your head and then lift it forward with your triceps - can't think of the name - what is that exercise?
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Tricep dips and the thing where you hold the weight behind your head and then lift it forward with your triceps - can't think of the name - what is that exercise?
    Triceps extension.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Oh, those dreadful batwings! They sure are annoying, aren't they? They flap in the breeze, or when we get excited and wave to a friend, causing us to quickly clamp our arms to our sides in embarrassment. Toning the muscles, and continued weight loss are about all you can do, but we ALL have them, as adults, to a certain extent. It's just that some may not admit to it.

Well done, having a 25 BMI! I hope to get there myself in a few more months!
  • annaelisa2004
    Options
    Look for workouts designed for women. I do a workout which targets the areas women struggle with. 2-3 circuits of each exercise 25-50 reps each 2-3 times per week. It only takes about 25-30 minutes per workout. crunches, squats, supinated curls, tricep kickback, rowing, etc. Again, look for a workout designed for women to target the problem areas. You will see great results in a few weeks, especially as you can increase reps and weight over time...
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    honestly that is one of the hardest areas to work on, I would suggest push-ups, swimming is good (already doing it), curls, preacher curls, pull-ups, and rows. Those are some that you can use to try to correct that, however your one of the first people to express this concern haha

This is sound advice, although I will tell you that even at 150 lbs, this was the first place on my body to sag! I've even seen swimsuit models with that extra piece of softness b/t the chest and arm. It's just genetics. Men don't notice, I promise.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    High weight, low reps.

Dumbell curls, hammer curls, triceps extension, two arm dumbell kickbacks. Or just do compound lifts- overhead press, bench press, barbell rows, etc.

Check out bodybuilding.com for some free plans- and don't pay attention to the 'you'll get big arms' thing. It takes a heck of a lot more than just heavy weights to gain muscle mass.
  • courtneyprudhomme
    Options
    i hate my batwings.. especially knowing what awesome muscle I have developed in my arms.. I have heard of a surgery ppl get to remove the skin but unfortunately I don't have that kind of disposable money to throw into such a thing.. so I just keep working out hoping the rest of my body will be so bad *kitten* that no one will notice LOL
  • Nicelshe
    Nicelshe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If I could afford surgery I would definately have it :-)
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would get my thighs done! The one area I can't seem to get rid of! Any suggestions on that? I already do lunges and squats every other day. I kick box on the days I don't weight train.
  • LLRider
    LLRider Posts: 65
    Options
    Two separate things saggy armpits
    saggy skin from elbow to armpit (aka -batwings)

Sadly they get worse as you age ... I'm 56 and not liking what the years are doing to my arms. and under arms :grumble:

I have a friend who is 50 and doesn't have even a hint of them. First of all she used to do a lot of rowing (sculling?) and has never been overweight. But hasn't rowed much in the last ten years. So I asked her how she keeps her arms looking so fabulous.

She does not lift weights (I was surprised) She does ashtanga yoga, walks, bikes and cross country skis.