Has anyone ever been embarrased to go to the gym?

Options
I am. its so discouraging. me waying 300+ pounds running on a treadmill surrounded by all these skinney minnie old people and fitness freaks really makes me uncomfortable...call me paranoid, but i'm so afraid all there eyes are on me and my way to jiggaly fatness...eww...Has anyone else felt that way? Just wondering
-Markiee

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    YES!!! But I try to remind myself that everyone is different! We all have things about us that we don't like or are uncomfortable with. Remember that you are trying to change yours! I also make myself think that "IF" they are looking at me it's good thoughts, not bad going through thier heads! That's what keeps me going to the gym. I remember that I will (hopfully) be one of those "skinny minni's"

Best of luck to you... keep it up!
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Completely!!!!!!!! So here is my advice... well two pieces of advice =)

1. Came from a member on here a long time ago- because i posted a question similar to this... when you go to a gym- people will be much more happy for you and supportive and encouraging- because you are making a good choice by being there =) (vs. if they saw you sitting down to eat at a fast food restaurant

That advice wasn't enough to convince me to go to the gym (and I think- i dont think i could even run more than 2 minutes= so why even go now?)

which brings me to my second one..

2. I was watching a show on discovery health channel - something about the 500+ lb virgin. Anyways- it followed this young man who was over 500lbs and who somehow found a fitness trainer and he lost the weight (GReat inspirational story) ANyways- he had the same fears of going to the gym- so his friend/trainer worked with him at home- so he would take one day.. and run up and down the stairs.. and then he'd kick it up next time and do it 2 times etc... until finally he felt comfortable enough with his weight/stength etc to start going to the gym.

Number 2 has worked for me. I use my Wii- and I always make good use of everyday things in the house-.. i use the stairs for exercise... when i'm doing dishes i do squats... before i would be way lazy/tired and not even want to bend over to pick something up.. so i wouldn't and now i've said "screw that" and i just have started doing those things- and the more i do them- the easier it all is becomming!

Welcome =) Feel free to join my team in the support and motivate group- its called ► MFP ALL STAR TEAM ◄
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options

1. Came from a member on here a long time ago- because i posted a question similar to this... when you go to a gym- people will be much more happy for you and supportive and encouraging- because you are making a good choice by being there =) (vs. if they saw you sitting down to eat at a fast food restaurant

That advice wasn't enough to convince me to go to the gym (and I think- i dont think i could even run more than 2 minutes= so why even go now?)

which brings me to my second one..

2. I was watching a show on discovery health channel - something about the 500+ lb virgin. Anyways- it followed this young man who was over 500lbs and who somehow found a fitness trainer and he lost the weight (GReat inspirational story) ANyways- he had the same fears of going to the gym- so his friend/trainer worked with him at home- so he would take one day.. and run up and down the stairs.. and then he'd kick it up next time and do it 2 times etc... until finally he felt comfortable enough with his weight/stength etc to start going to the gym.

Number 2 has worked for me. I use my Wii- and I always make good use of everyday things in the house-.. i use the stairs for exercise... when i'm doing dishes i do squats... before i would be way lazy/tired and not even want to bend over to pick something up.. so i wouldn't and now i've said "screw that" and i just have started doing those things- and the more i do them- the easier it all is becomming!

Welcome =) Feel free to join my team in the support and motivate group- its called ► MFP ALL STAR TEAM ◄

I watched that same show and WOW I almost couldn't believe that he lost it with diet and exercise. But WOW if he can do it WE can do it too.
  • sparkler2112
    sparkler2112 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I just started going to a gym last week and was horrified before i walked in there! Once I got to the door I told myself-walk through these doors with pride and stand tall..So I did. I walked in there like I had been there a million times. I popped my ear phones in, listened to some music..toned out everything around me and forgot I was even worried about what others though. I have went twice a day since! I belong there just as much as the next person and so do you! Your taking a step in the right direction by going! Just be proud of yourself! :bigsmile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Trust me....they're so ot looking at you. They're more into what they look like working out. I promise you this.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym for this reason. The good thing is, weight loss doesn't require a gym membership. Thank god. :) I've been made fun of at the gym before, so that was a major deterrent for me.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I totally understand you, I'm now 186pds and I feel embarrassed too. I know they are looking at me saying.."oh my she is big, and look she's trying to run" But I try and remind myself and focus on the fact that I am slowly losing weight, I'm getting results with the treadmill, and since I don't have one at home I have to use the gyms. Plus my gym is small that sometimes I'm the only one there and especially since I go late.

I'm too embarrassed to go run outside and have all the passerby's see me. But last Sunday I decided to try it because I needed to walk longer miles and knew the treadmill was going to be too boring, so I went outside to run/walk.

I found a nice path that is also a certified 5k path. And I did great! I think because I used the gym first to get me to run so now when I went outside I actually could do it with a nice form. And Im slowly beginning to feel less embarrassed. I'm considering going again today outside, but battling with my head on whether or not I should. It is a struggle but one day it wont be.

So, its all baby steps but the most important thing is don't let anything or anyone interfere with your progress. Think of the weight loss.

Oh, and if getting the WII fit at home or a treadmill is an option...I'd do it. Also walking does work too... you don't need to run. Walking will get results too. Just getting out there and moving will do it. And be sure to eat right so you aren't wasting your time. You want results more than anything. And just keep thinking about how you'll look next year if you keep this up.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I definitely understand what you mean! I feel the same way. My gym is open 24 hrs and I would go at 4am just cause I knew no one else would be there! That got old real quick..so instead I bought a cheap elliptical trainer, it was only $180...figured even if it lasts 6 months (came with a warranty longer than that though :P) It'd be cheaper than going to the gym. It's winter here in Michigan..and I won't be caught dead walking outside haha. Anyway, I also incorporate other things at home, you can totally do it w/o going to the gym.

Good luck to you!
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    Trust me....they're so ot looking at you. They're more into what they look like working out. I promise you this.

You are so right about this. We as humans are inherently selfish. I pay zero attention to what anyone else is doing or looks like in th gym, unless they are in my way.

Also, remember that not everyone who looks hot in the gym now started out that way. My trainer is STUNNING at 5'6"& 140ish but she started at 250. To look at her in the gym, you would assume she's been hot her whole life. She worked hard to get where she is.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to go with a friend, both for support and for a less boring workout.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    It is hard...but I agree...if anyone is looking at you they are thinking good thoughts..."Way to go!" "keep going!" "You can do this!" I am always impressed when I see someone trying to change. There might be some jerk or two who have never had to struggle but for most of humanity...they understand and are hopeful for your success!

If you gym has a pool or a walking track you could try those too. (Once you are in the water you are less conspicuous.)

All of the other advice is good too. (Start at home, take a friend, etc.)

My only other thought is if there are some type of classes. If you were in a class situation the others would provide you with encouragement and accountability. Talk to the trainers at your gym about a good match.

Best of luck.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Part of me wants to say that the other people in the gym don't care what u look like or what u are doing at the gym or why .....and go for yourself etc (I do believe this!)
    BUT I have never felt comfortable at a gym (I'm not very sports oriented and a tad clumsy...never felt comfy taking group classes...hate the thought of being watched)
    I've always worked out at home using DVD's, gone for walks, have hand weights at home, and recently got a treadmill

I think u need to find what works for you...some people NEED to go the gym (don't feel motivated at home), but some are disciplined enough and can get a solid work out at home

Good luck
    Kim
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    I used to weight nearly 300 pounds and was the shyest person I know. I would go to the gym and hide on the elliptical in the very back corner until one day I realized no one was EVER looking at me! I've lost a lot of weight by going to the gym (I'm at 207.5lb now) and absolutely love it. I'm still a big girl and I go nearly everyday to run or bring my ipod and rock it out on the elliptical. I've never (knock on wood) had a bad experience at the gym!! I hardly ever even notice when anyone else is even at the gym, because I'm there solely for me and I feel like a lot of people are like this as well. Please, Please please don't be afraid to go to the gym. I love it andI feel so at home there. I remember when I was running one time (about 230lbs) and there was this super fit looking guy running next to me with his water bottle belt and probably training for a marathon. He finished his workout, got off his treadmill gave me a thumbs up and a sincere smile and it really just made my day!

Also, I think the gym you choose can make a big difference. I love the YWCA in my area because it has a wide range of body types and there is a pretty good sense of community. Please don't let how you THINK other people view you stop you from using a valuable tool for your weight loss. Also, you could maybe try a curves or a womens only gym if they have them in your area. I honestly really understand how you feel. I felt so self-conscious when I started at the gym, but it was the best thing I've ever done.
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I think from what I'm reading- the hardest part is going the first time... =)

My cousin is trying to get me to swim at the college we attend... and I'm HORRIFIED- I can't stand swimming at our own house-
    let alone in public- and even more than thaT- at a college full of young adults =) haha.. but because I'm enrolled I get free use of the pool and exercise equiptment/rooms- so why not!?!?!?!??!

I want an elliptical so bad though- but don't think we'd have anywhere in our house for one. =(
  • onichikun
    onichikun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I was 280 lb I was embarrassed to go to the gym.. Primarily because I didn't want people to know how incapable I was compared to them.. but then I realized that I was using that as an excuse not to exercise.

The gym is there for you. You need to go there for you and not mind what other people think. If you let that become an excuse as to not go to the gym, you are going to only hurt yourself.

*EDIT* Also, being around other people can keep you motivated. At home, you don't have the pressure of others to keep you going. At home, or alone, you are more likely to take breaks or talk yourself out of continuing.

Set a goal for the day, goto the gym, focus on that goal, and you can do it.

Good luck.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to the gym in a while (I work out at home because I can't really afford gym dues), but yes, I did feel self conscious when I went- half the people there were like me and half were in such good shape that they didn't really need to go to the gym in the first place! :laugh: :laugh:

Just remember, you're doing it for YOU- and anyone that would think negatively of someone who's trying to improve their health by working out is just a moron anyway.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I think from what I'm reading- the hardest part is going the first time... =)

My cousin is trying to get me to swim at the college we attend... and I'm HORRIFIED- I can't stand swimming at our own house-
    let alone in public- and even more than thaT- at a college full of young adults =) haha.. but because I'm enrolled I get free use of the pool and exercise equiptment/rooms- so why not!?!?!?!??!

I want an elliptical so bad though- but don't think we'd have anywhere in our house for one. =(

I didn't really have room in my house for one..I just threw it up next to the couch in the living room and told my hubby to deal haha. He's ok with it, though. He knows I wanted it and need it to work out. With the money I'm saving every month from not paying for a gym membership I'm setting aside for when I reach my goal weight to buy some hot new clothes!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

That's exactly right. I've been going to the gym for years and never, not even once, have I ever seen anyone be disrepectful to a 'bigger' member. Not saying everyone there is a saint, but really, most everyone is focused on themselves.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym and work hard try different things. Most people that work out will respect someone who is working hard. Those that don't are fools and I wouldn't worry about fools. Keep working and do it for you.

Good luck
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    When I started at the gym, I weighed 340 lbs and did not feel like I belonged. My gym had a lot of body builders in it, both men and women so I stuck out like a sore thumb. I kept to the stationary bike for a while and did some weight lifting. After that I started using the elliptical and it has come to be my cardio machine of choice.

At no time did anyone tell me I didn't belong. Nobody told me to leave because I was too fat because I worked hard and made an honest effort to get in shape. When I started losing weight, People complimented me and told me to keep up the good work. I only received encouragement and positive feedback from my fellow gym members.

That being said, what is the reason you are going to the gym? Is it to impress the Skinny Minnies on the treadmill next to you or is it to improve your health and well being? Does it matter what they think of you or does it matter what you think of yourself?

Keep up the good work of exercising, you will see results in no time.