Poorly jaw, need soft nice food ideas ><

Options
Hey guys, so I had to visit the hospital over the weekend for a jaw problem I've been having.

I've been told to keep taking ibuprophen and focus on eating softer foods. (My recently fruit lunch of apples and grapes, etc is out the window now) :/

Could you guys give me any suggestions of foods I could replace these with so that my jaw doesn't get any more ouchy? ><

I know there is always rice, pasta, etc but I'm trying to limit these because I had a very high carb dependency not too long back :/

Thanks in advance and any suggestions would be a great help!

:) X

Replies

• SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    you can make or buy jelly in tesco you can get jelly under 10cals, fruit is mostly soft also sweet potato or mashed potato, you can also boiled turnip and it becomes very soft, any boiled vegetables really. cottage pie can also be very soft and you dont need to use potato as the topping. Hope that helps a bit
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    scrambled eggs
    quinoa
    lentil soup or carrot and lentil soup
  • miss_grad
    miss_grad Posts: 102
    Options
    When I had heath issues, I drank a lot of Vanilla/Chocolate "Boost".. Gave me essential nutrients while covering necessary calories.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This is weird, I went to hospital yesterday for a jaw problem too haha, hope you get better soon!
    You could make some soup (like leek and potato, vegetable, carrot, broccoli etc),? Or make mashed potato with sweet potato, or make 'mashed potato' out of carrots and swede. Like the other person said, cottage pie would be good :)
  • bambi2307
    Options
    Thanks guys. :) All my tasty apples have been taken away from me ><

I LOVE carrott and swede too! I'll definitely keep this in mind for dinner times :D

We have a blender in the new house I think (Not sure if it's a blender or a liquidiser but there's one way to find out) XD

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far :)
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Steamed carrots!! I love just to sit down to a plate of steamed carrots lol So soft and mushy aswell :)
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    smoothies - you can blend your fruit and drink it

Apples, yogurt cinnamon milk or water

oranges, cottage cheese milk

pumpkin, vanilla protein powder, almond milk pumpkin pie spice

bandanna, baby spinach chocolate protein powder, peanut butter

etc, etc,etc
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    A lot of your soft foods are going to be cooked, mashed veggies and fruits, and greek yogurt and eggs are good for protein. For zero chewing (because even chewing soft foods can be too much. I've had the TMJ issues, before, as well as all four wisdom teeth out), I recommend getting some protein powder. A whey concentrate should suffice. Blend it with frozen fruit (such as berries), some water, and a bit of your favourite sweetener (I prefer honey, because I always detect an aftertaste in the artificial sweeteners). If you need to get your fats in, try picking up some flax oil and adding a teaspoon or two to a fruit smoothie. I also love making a smoothie with protein powder, a bit of cocoa, natural peanut butter, some milk, a touch of honey (sometimes just a teaspoon, to mask the artificial sweetener taste in the protein powder), and a couple of ice cubes. It's my "Pureed Reese' Cups" smoothie.

If this is going to go on for awhile, I also recommend that you take a multivitamin to cover your nutritional bases.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese!
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Vegetable soup! Find a nice low-sodium chicken stock. Add cubes of medium firm tofu along with sliced carrots, potatos, black beans (rinsed and drained), a can of diced tomatoes (with liquid), green beans, corn, etc, then season with garlic powder and a dash of red pepper flakes, You could add a no-salt seasoning or some Italian seasoning. Simmer 30 minutes, adjust seasonings and Yum!

I hope your jaw starts feeling better very soon! Although you miss your crunchy apple slices, you could have some applesauce until then. Take care!
  • lieselotte2
    lieselotte2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would put the apple and grapes in a blender/food processor and eat them with a spoon. It's soft and still fresh fruit. I have a BlenTec and do that quite frequently. Or make a smoothie by using apple, grapes and vanilla yogurt. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • eboothby
    eboothby Posts: 24
    Options
    Baby food????????
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. :) All my tasty apples have been taken away from me ><

I LOVE carrott and swede too! I'll definitely keep this in mind for dinner times :D

We have a blender in the new house I think (Not sure if it's a blender or a liquidiser but there's one way to find out) XD

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far :)

You could bake your apples to make them softer. They're yummy that way!
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    crockpot everything. It makes everything squishy lol. But my favourite is mashed faux-tatoes. Use boiled cailiflowers and turnips in places of potatoes when mashing. I have an obsession with mashed potatoes so this saved my life!

Side story: I had a friend in highschool who had to have her jaw wired shut. So for several months it was food through a straw. Lots of smoothies protein shakes and the like. But then her mother got it into her head that she probably misses solid food. So being the kind mother she was blended a nice meatloaf smoothie for her daughter. Who unwittingly drank a sip. Poor thing, makes for a funny story years later though haha
  • bambi2307
    Options
    My brother had something similar after re constructive surgery on his jaw. Had it wired shut for weeks and lived on protein shakes, etc. I couldn't imagine going through that ><

I successfully managed to cook myself some nice soft tortellini and mashed carrot,suede and sweet potato. Honestly.. it was so yummy I'm glad I made extra for lunch tomorrow :D

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I really really appreciate it :)
    xxx
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Puree. You can easily find apple sauce with no additives. And there's always soup or yoghurt. If you make it yourself you'll have infinite variety and no additives.