A/C is making us fat?

Options
I had an interesting conversation with a coworker the other day. His theory is that our bodies tend to hold on to our fat stores to help keep us warm and comfortable since we're typically in an air conditioned environment all the time. Like an evolution kind of thing? On the flip side, you could argue that we actually burn more calories warming up our bodies all the time (I know I'm always freezing at work!).

What do you all think?

Replies

• jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know when we don't run ours and it's really hot out, I am not as hungry.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I think that I'll happily take my chances with evolutionary belly fat; It's freaking HOT here!

That said, I don't buy it. A/C hasn't really been around all that long for any genetic physiological changes, IMO. I think your coworker might just be trying to find an excuse to not worry about his or her spare tire.

But, to be on the safe side, get a sweater ;)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've very skeptical about this. Evolution happens much slower than this.

The variable that has changed dramatically in the past 50 years is the nature and quantity of the food Americans eat and work we o. We eat differently and have less active lifestyles than our grandparents.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I agree with the latter
  • im1jomama
    im1jomama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Huh. Interesting theory. Could be we'd need to take into consideration the amount of exercise
    done in A/C vs. "normal" temperatures... (sounds like a great thesis topic for a physical
    fitness major)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not if you are jogging in place in front of it on a daily basis. :wink:
  • im1jomama
    im1jomama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    great job on your 6 lbs!!!!!!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Please show me some scientific data to back up this utter nonsense. A/C leaves it 70 degrees. That is not cold. Your body will store fat to stay warm in arctic climates. Since when is 70 artic? Rubbish.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A/C makes me less fat. I am FAR more inclined to go for a run in the summer if I know I'm coming back to a nice chilly house with the A/C blasting. :D
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    To be fair, the evolution part was my conjecture on why he thinks that, I'm not sure that he ever used that term.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Don't know what to use as my excuse seeing as I never had A/C, oh yeah, it must of been all the junk food and lack of movement :flowerforyou:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I had an interesting conversation with a coworker the other day. His theory is that our bodies tend to hold on to our fat stores to help keep us warm and comfortable since we're typically in an air conditioned environment all the time. Like an evolution kind of thing? On the flip side, you could argue that we actually burn more calories warming up our bodies all the time (I know I'm always freezing at work!).

What do you all think?

A/C or not I'm always too hot. I keep a fan on me as much as possible. While that may be a problem for some, I don't think it holds true for everyone.
  • ahmommy
    Options
    Please show me some scientific data to back up this utter nonsense. A/C leaves it 70 degrees. That is not cold. Your body will store fat to stay warm in arctic climates. Since when is 70 artic? Rubbish.
    This is far from scientific, this is a conversation with a coworker that I thought was interesting. Nowhere close to trying to pass this off as fact. Nor did I say I believe it.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think that is bull****, yes it keeps up warmer but not because of that.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Of course, when it's hot and the air conditioning is on, no one goes outside.

We got chickens and had to care for them and I can't tell you how much more active it's made my kids.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The whole point of air conditioning is to make the temperature more comfortable for us. You're suggesting that our bodies are trying to compensate for that in order to make us more comfortable... to combat the already-comfortable temperature?
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Not so. I don't recall where I read it, but your body uses energy to keep you warm.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options

What do you all think?

I don't know about a/c. I don't have it.....But the thought is in winter we could lose weight, if we are out, because we shiver to keep ourselves warm, thus using energy....Mine you, we then come in and eat hearty...
  • ahmommy
    Options
    The whole point of air conditioning is to make the temperature more comfortable for us. You're suggesting that our bodies are trying to compensate for that in order to make us more comfortable... to combat the already-comfortable temperature?
    LOL maybe? The problem is that someone else sets the temperature, and it's usually too cold for me. Like goose bumps constantly, so I have to wear a sweater all the time.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I tend to think it's more like,,,we are fatter from a/c because we don't want to go outside and we sit on our butts when it's hot! That's how I used to be until I got used to working out in higher temps. Now the heat doesn't bother me near as much but I have noticed that now that the weather is cooling off some, my HRM shows me burning a LOT less calories. Boooooo