Foods that help my anxiety

Options
By request, I'm listing the foods that I've read about and used that help anxiety. I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist, and I'm only giving my personal experiences based on what I found on the web. I was on Paxil for seven years before it stopped working. I wasn't able to do any other medication because I didn't have insurance at the time, so I did some research on the web about how diet can affect anxiety. I was able to control my anxiety and panic attacks for four years just through diet and exercise. I'm now back on medication (Celexa) because my menopause has significantly escalated those symptoms, but even now when I'm not regularlly eating my "crazy" foods I experience mild panic attacks. So, your mileage may vary, but here's what works for me.

From http://www.anxietypanic.com/nutrition.html

Food to eat to reduce anxiety and maintain calm state
Wholegrain cereals
Asparagus
Garlic (I eat it raw on salads)
Eggs
Fish
Molasses
Wheat germ
Brewers yeast (this is called nutritional yeast and is sold at places like Whole Foods)
Carrots
Onions
Beetroot
Spinach
Paw paw
Celery
Stone fruit
Avocado

I also stopped using table salt and cut caffeine out of my diet, although this website says a cup of coffee a day is okay. Very few processed foods, no MSG, very little sugar. I also include almonds and blueberries in my diet, and dark chocolate on occassion (at least 60% cocoa, minimal process). I also take a super B-complex vitamin every day. I try to do everything 100% whole wheat, and organic for as much food as I can.

From http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/food_and_anxiety.html

Foods to eat
Yogurt
Bananas
Vegetables
Wholegrain foods
Brown Rice
Beans
Turkey
Chicken
Cottage Cheese
Fresh Fish
Poached Egg
Tuna
Fruit
Porridge
Baked potato
Peanut butter
Garlic
Spinach

Foods to avoid
Fizzy drinks
Processed food
White bread
Chips
Pastry
Cakes
Caffeine
Sugar
Alcohol
Chocolate (except dark chocolate, at least 60% cocoa)
Cheese
Fast Food

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I believe that caffeine is the only thing I can agree with. Us people who struggle with anxiety don't need more things to worry about. I would never cut some of them foods from diet. I think just eating better in general will help you feel better. But thanks for the post =) *** I still consume caffeine****
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I believe that caffeine is the only thing I can agree with. Us people who struggle with anxiety don't need more things to worry about. I would never cut some of them foods from diet. I think just eating better in general will help you feel better. But thanks for the post =) *** I still consume caffeine****

Yeah, there are things that I still consume off the list (I'm not giving up my scotch, vodka, or beer for anything). I've always eaten a pretty healthy diet, so I didn't have a lot that I had to give up or add when I started doing it. And I don't consume all the stuff off the lists, just the stuff that I like that's on the list anyway. It's just what worked for me.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Anxiety issues for me too! I have noticed that just eating healthier and working toward being healthy in general completely lifts my mood. I think the idea of working towards a goal that is beneficial and will make me look better and feel better is a great anxiety reliever. It's like a little pump of stress relief. Thanks for the food list - I never connected anxiety with food before.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yeah, I eat mostly the foods for helping with anxiety....and never eat processed foods, or drink soda., cut way back on sugar and bread...i have 1 cup of coffee a day, and drink maybe 2 nights a week....still get anixiety and will never go back on meds....I just try to cope now.....
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. This issue is very new for me. I'm trying to avoid meds even though I have a few available if necessary.
  • ambaree143
    Options
    Thanks for the information, it's so helpful. I notice you haven't included mangos, did you know that they are a natural anti-depressant, just like bananas and dark chocolate.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use herbs to calm me down.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thank you for these lists. We are what we eat. I know for sure that if I eat a lot of chocolate, or junk food in general, I get anxious. I don't need more anxiety in my life. Printed up your list and taking it with me to the grocery store when I go. :)
  • nonstopjamhen
    Options
    I find sugar to be the worst offender for me, especially as it's so addictive. Caffeine too, but only if I take caffeine pills or something (which I never do now).
  • c4ssandra
    Options
    That's a good list. Thanks for posting. A psychologist once told me the following are supposed to be helpful in reducing anxiety and depression:

*5-10 Walnuts per day

*at least 2 Fruits a day

*At least 10 minutes of physical exercise for yourself where you can clear your head (as in not cleaning or housework or something that you can't clear your mind)
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Getting low blood sugar for me exacerbates anxiety and increases the likelihood of a panic attack.

I don't have them too often now because I stopped smoking cannabis and cut back on my alcohol intake, but if I am stressed or overtired I find that has much more impact than my diet. It's part of a whole picture, a good diet and finding time to eat right and cook healthy meals contributes to stress reduction, ensures I don't get low blood sugar etc.